LED head lights

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

LandShark

LED head lights

Post by LandShark »

Hey guys, I've been busy renovating my house, but I still would like to do a project to improve my car.
Has anyone installed an head light LED conversion product such as these?

https://www.hidnation.com/products/h500 ... ersion-kit
Karmann, German for extra rusty.
hornhospital Online
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: LED head lights

Post by hornhospital »

I wouldn't buy from them, or at least not buy their"warranty". Look at the reviews. HUGE numbers of customers that needed lights replaced under warranty and no satisfaction. They are ignored by HIDNation's customer service.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
wogden700

Post by wogden700 »

Have not gone that route in my 6, but did it in several other vehicles. What I can say is be VERY skeptical of LED quality. especially stuff from china that you buy on EBAY. the light output is all over the map. Also getting the bulbs to fit can be hit or miss. often the led is too long to fit inside the reflector, or the driver unit wont fit on the outside of the reflector. If you can find ones with remote drivers, that helps with clearance.
A good set of LED bulbs that will last and put out alot of lumens will cost you $100 or more. but do your homework, even the expensive ones can be garbage.
1985 635CSi Diamondblack/Llama
1991 750iL (sold)
Bostn635csi

Post by Bostn635csi »

Hi, I tried doing the more modern HID light bulbs and they were more of a headache constantly blowing bulbs and fuses. I reverted back to my factory wiring and installed Sylvania Silverstars and they work perfectly. Removing all the HID kit saved me about 20lbs.
Kevin
1988 BMW 635csi, 5-speed
Lachsilber
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

I've experimented and wasted a lot of money on different bulbs including Piaa etc. Many different bulbs do not give you good lighting especally in wet weather. When I came across HID's, I gave that a chance and never changed them since and that was 15+ years ago. The kits are all plug and play so very simple to install with OEM wiring. Back than they were quite expensive but nowadays they're much cheaper and I would give them a thumbs up. My wife's 2013 Honda Pilot's lights are horrible at night so I upgraded those with HID's and she loves them.
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
Bhart
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by Bhart »

I have put a set of LED H4 headlamps on my classic Mini. I didn't want the bug-eyed look of most of the 7" LEDs out there so I decided to mount the Supernova bulbs into my Lucas Carello lamps. This keeps the classic look of the Carellos, brighter output of the 5000K LED lamp, lower current draw of the LED, along with the H4 cutoff pattern. A bonus is the control box steps up the power so the lamps are at full brightness regardless of alternator output voltage.

Because of the olde worlde headlamp buckets, I had to trim the lamp frames a bit to fit the control box - in the E24 there is enough room to mount the box behind the lamp. The lights work extremely well. The LED placement on the bulb matches the filaments on the halogen so the pattern is correct. It also has that modern light 'instant on' that a halogen lamp with tired grounding will never match.

So unless you detest that blue cast of the modern light, it's a great conversion.

Tried to add some pix but the post is full!?! PM me and I'll share some Google Drive pix of the job on the Mini.
01/1987 M6

past Bimmers;
1970 2800CS
1988 325is
1985 325E