Euro Bumper Install (Adventure) w\ Lots Of Pictures

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Slownrusty

Euro Bumper Install (Adventure) w\ Lots Of Pictures

Post by Slownrusty »

Hey guys - I am getting my car ready for a repaint and decided to remove my horrid US bumpers to make it easier for my painter to get inside all the nooks and crannies. While at it I said to myself "Self..why not look for Euro bumpers"...a shot in the pitch black, but what the heck. Low and behold perusing my local Craigslist yielded an ad. that had Euro Bumpers and a trunk spoiler listed for $1900 (!!) - no pictures just a description, there was no phone number listed just the generic CL email address, I emailed the seller twice and never heard back. Out of the blue two weeks later, he called me! What a surprise...

So my wife and I rolled over to his place (fortunately only 20 minutes away) and he had the real deal, the rear Euro bumper unfortunately looked like he backed into a tree or a sign post and it was in the shape of a U but it did have the full rubber strip, the garnish and all brackets in good condition and a Zender lower apron attached (with dry wall screws...grr!). The front bumper looked OK, chrome was fine and it did have all brand new rubber still in the BMW baggies. The trunk spoiler was soft and mushy and weathered. We worked out a deal and I brought it all home.

Immediately I went to town fixing the bad bend in the rear bumper in my hydraulic press (which took hours but at least it looks semi-decent now) and I also took it apart which was challenging given the rusty fasteners. On the front bumper I removed the ugly rusty heavy spot welded bar (which also took hours and hours but I got to buy a new oscillating tool to break the spot welds).

Next step is to figure out if I am going to use the rear Euro bumper (still trying to determine if it salvageable) and then I will fabricate aluminum mounts to install both bumpers to my car. This will be fun...stay tuned.

Onto the pictures:

Slownrusty

Re: Euro Bumper Install (Adventure) w\ Lots Of Pictures

Post by Slownrusty »

Ooops I forgot to add pictures of the eBay M-Tech spoiler I just bought - very good fit and finish might I add:

Slownrusty

Re: Euro Bumper Install (Adventure) w\ Lots Of Pictures

Post by Slownrusty »

Update..I mocked up the front Euro bumper and and about 50% complete fabricating new aluminum mounts, which will not require any holes to be drilled in the car or an angle grinder taken to the car, it will be 100% bolt-in and be light weight and strong. I also removed all the chrome and getting ready to clean it.