Lock Configurations & Repair

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

TheDarkSideOfWill

Lock Configurations & Repair

Post by TheDarkSideOfWill »

Dad had a 1985 635CSi (4/01/85 build date; SN: 0606256)
Acquired with driver's door key different than passenger door & trunk key

Bought a (PN: 51 21 9 556 329) repair kit, which is a lock cylinder with tumblers.
RealOEM applications list includes Euro and US market E24 chassis codes
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxre ... series=E24

A trucker ran a stop sign at a roundabout and smashed the car. Dad was ok, but the car was totaled. We had neither disassembled the door, nor tried to install the lock cylinder before that event.

He then bought a 1988 635CSi (SN: 3267168) with about 100,000 miles on the clock.

When he bought it, the driver's lock cylinder had already been pulled out of the lock.

We took the door apart, and found pieces of a metal lock mechanism in the bottom of the door.
Per reading on various forums, there are two types of lock mechanisms. The one in this car is the "old" type, with metal parts, despite the fact that this car is an '88.
*HOWEVER*, looking at RealOEM, I can NOT find a SINGLE part number different between the '85 and '88 cars in ANY of the diagrams relevant to the door locks.

We ordered a replacement parts kit (PN: 51 21 9 556 325) from a Euro vendor via eBay.
RealOEM applications list includes only Euro market chassis codes. All available diagrams indicate it should include a lock cylinder.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxre ... series=E24
What we received--we think erroneously--did *NOT* include a new cylinder, but did include ancillary parts that we needed. The ancillary parts are the plastic parts that we've found referenced on forums as the "new" type of lock parts.

We found that the lock cylinder with tumblers kit he had ordered for the '85 car actually had the cylinder that is compatible with the plastic parts from the replacement parts kit.

The remaining problem is that the pushrod that operates the lock (shown as a component of #4 here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=41_0538 ) is compatible with the ("old"?) metal parts, but is not compatible with the ("new"?) plastic parts, as the pushrod is secured to the metal lock lever with a rivet, and used in double shear. We can drill the rivet out and use it with a #8 or 4mm screw to secure it to the end of the plastic part, but then it will be mounted to the plastic part in single shear. Not good.

We have questions:

-Are the metal/plastic parts really "early production" and "late production" or are they "production" and "service replacement"? (If they're both production configurations, what production date is the break point?)

-Is there a later/replacement lock pushrod that works with the plastic parts? What is the PN for said lock rod? If not, what is the "official" method of adapting the old/production pushrod to work with the plastic lever?

-Do we need the "catch with key, left"?
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=51211915333
For $223?

-Does the E23 "catch with key, left" work?
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=51211881439
For $65?

Photos of metal parts:

Plastic parts:

TheDarkSideOfWill

Re: Lock Configurations & Repair

No takers? Wow.
anchored

Post by anchored »

The metal parts are for earlier models.

The plastic bits you have are for a car with central locking.

I will buy them if you are not using them.
SHRKATK - Red 87' 635csi
TheDarkSideOfWill

Shoot... this thread slipped my mind.

One of the key handicaps in dealing with this is that we don't know which configuration is which and that info is difficult or impossible to suss out from RealOEM.

Central locking means that when you operate either door (or the trunk?) lock with the key from outside, all locks operate, right?

We thought that the metal parts were for the early models, and had heard that somewhere...
But my dad's car is an '88... Should it have had the metal parts if it didn't have central locking?

I'll gladly sell you the plastic parts if you can help us find the metal parts or have part numbers for them.
TheDarkSideOfWill

Finally noticed that even though I created this thread, the forum did not subscribe me to it...
Fixed now.
TimU

Post by TimU »

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:26 pm Finally noticed that even though I created this thread, the forum did not subscribe me to it...
Fixed now.
Your post reminded me that I have the same annoying problem - Forgetting to tick the "Notify for replies" box before I post.

Fix: Turn this option on in your user control panel.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (92.95 KiB) Viewed 3349 times
Last edited by TimU on Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
04/1986 635csi Euro spec
Australian Delivered, RHD
anchored

Post by anchored »

if it has the actuator in the bottom of the door like this it has the central locking
SHRKATK - Red 87' 635csi
TheDarkSideOfWill

TimU wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:25 am
TheDarkSideOfWill wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:26 pm Finally noticed that even though I created this thread, the forum did not subscribe me to it...
Fixed now.
Your post reminded me that I have the same annoying problem - Forgetting to tick the "Notify for replies" box before I post.

Fix: Turn this option on in your user control panel.

Untitled.png
Well of course that's not under "Notification Options" :roll: ](*,) :lol:
TheDarkSideOfWill

anchored wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:47 am if it has the actuator in the bottom of the door like this it has the central locking
So... if it has power locks at all, it has "central locking"?
anchored

Post by anchored »

Correct. I was just looking at realOEM too. the diagrams are from the early gen cars. its pretty annoying trying to find the right parts I remember going through this mess ages ago.
SHRKATK - Red 87' 635csi
TheDarkSideOfWill

Pic for attention:

The car has power locks, but also had the metal linkage parts... Does the community have a PN for a replacement metal linkage parts?
Geezy2424

Post by Geezy2424 »

Old thread but did you ever find the parts? Or resolution??
TimU

Post by TimU »

04/1986 635csi Euro spec
Australian Delivered, RHD
TheDarkSideOfWill

Geezy2424 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:48 am Old thread but did you ever find the parts? Or resolution??
Sorry it took me a hot minute to get back to you. I finally get the forum to send me topic reply notifications and google sends them to my spam folder... :roll:

My dad's been driving the car without the lock... The car is currently laid up with a broken #1 exhaust rocker.
TimU wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:55 pm Refer here:

viewtopic.php?t=32902

Also here:
https://youtu.be/JqOq75Kf-pw
Thanks! Will check out!