Window Trim removal how to?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

KINGJOHN808

Window Trim removal how to?

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

Aloha,

I am trying to part out 1983 633CSi, problem is I don't want to destroy the trim but I don't understand how to get it off? Are there clips or is it glued on? I removed the window rubber seal but still cant find a way to get this trim off the car. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

“Aloha and have a great day!”
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Window Trim removal how to?

Post by olympia57 »

You need to be more specific , what trim are you speaking about .......help us out here .
1981 635 series 1
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

The trim that starts at the front fender and goes up along the roof line, and wraps around the rear side window.
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

In my experience the only way to remove the chrome trim is to cut it out of the rubber surround. This of course ruins the surround. I always use a Stanley knife, but it’s a dangerous operation, so be careful!
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Pod wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:40 pm In my experience the only way to remove the chrome trim is to cut it out of the rubber surround. This of course ruins the surround. I always use a Stanley knife, but it’s a dangerous operation, so be careful!
I think it's the A piller /roof gutter /C piller trim that is to be removed Paul.
I've never removed that trim myself but I believe it's prone to distorting but I only hope there is someone else who can help him out.
1981 635 series 1
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

KINGJOHN808 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:41 pm Aloha,

I am trying to part out 1983 633CSi, problem is I don't want to destroy the trim but I don't understand how to get it off? Are there clips or is it glued on? I removed the window rubber seal but still cant find a way to get this trim off the car. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
There are no clips or glue. It is crimped onto a channel. The only way to remove is by starting at the screen end and gently prying
it off the channel. Try not to kink it as that will ruin it!! It will come off banana-shaped but with a lot of perseverance it can be straightened and refitted.

It is worth doing as the rear parts are NLA.

HTH
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

An answer to this question will no longer be necessary because the topic is already a year old, but I would like to write an extensive answer so that it can also help others in the future with removing the chrome trim of the A & C pillar and the roof gutter.

Start by removing the weatherstrip from the front door (No. 3 in the first photo). This strip is fitted with 3 parker screws. Two right next to the door mirror and one on the other side, near the door handle. The screws are hidden behind rubber covers. You have to remove them to get access to the screws.

20210620_120048.jpg
20210620_120048.jpg (212.58 KiB) Viewed 3909 times
20210620_115839.jpg
20210620_115839.jpg (182.47 KiB) Viewed 3909 times

Then remove the rear weatherstrip (No. 4 in the first photo). It is only clamped. To be able to remove it, you must first remove the plastic grille between the 2 side windows. The screws of it are located behind the door seal, which must therefore be loosened.
Then you can remove the weatherstrip, it is clamped pretty tightly to the body with 4 clamps (see photo below). Carefully pry up with a screwdriver to release the strip.

20210810_160548.jpg
20210810_160548.jpg (135.36 KiB) Viewed 3909 times

Then the fun part, the chrome trim at the top (No. 1 and 2 in the first photo). Be very careful here, the strips are fragile.
Do not pull on the trim [-X , if its stuck, push under the hooks and with a long thin screwdriver under the trim, don't pull too hard as you will distort the trim. If it doesn't work with little force, then leave them on the car, they are no longer available.

Start at the bottom, after removing the weatherstrip it is easy to reach the opening of the trim. With a small screwdriver you can press the sides of the chrome trim outwards. Then you can press the trim out of the holder with a large flat screwdriver, the beginning of the trim will now come loose.

Then you can slowly loosen the trim by grabbing it on 2 sides and gently moving it back and forth.

Sometimes you have to pry the hooks as well with the large screwdriver, as in the photo. You will also sometimes have to push a thin long screwdriver under the trim to lift the trim and unhook the other side.

The trim above the front door can be done in the same way, first loosen the hooks with a small screwdriver and then insert the large flat screwdriver to release the beginning of the trim.

Then back and forth with your fingers and at the same time with the large flat screwdriver under the hook. When you are halfway through, you can pull the trim, it will shift slightly, creating a gap on the side of the door mirror. Work identically from this side as well, loosen the hooks and lift the strip, now work towards the middle again.

When the chrome trims are removed, you can reach the Phillips screws to remove the complete gutter.

Done, this is how it looks with the trim removed.

Last edited by 635sharknose on Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
Slownrusty

Post by Slownrusty »

Extremely useful!
thank-you!
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

Slownrusty wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:50 am Extremely useful!
thank-you!
I hope it helps!
Paul
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

Mahalo’z. Wish I knew about this before. I completely destroyed the set on the passenger side, and severely bent the driver side. Good thing it was my parts car and. O my other.
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hey Paul, do you think you could repost all of your photos and info in a new thread in the "Tech Articles" forum :-k

That is super great information and I'm sure that a few of us have mangled ours in the process :(

I personally have never attempted to remove these, but with this info, I might now if I had to [-o<

Thanks for posting Paul =D>
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

Will Bobbo, I'll make a post in a moment. I'm glad you like it. I couldn't find this info online so tried it myself and would like to share my experience to help others.
If not necessary, I wouldn't recommend removing them. It is a delicate and time consuming job.
Paul
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
Sbeaud

Post by Sbeaud »

Great write up. Thanks for the words and especially the pictures!
1988 M6