Door Lock Repair Questions

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

gte619n

Door Lock Repair Questions

Post by gte619n »

Hey guys,

I've embarked on a quest to replace the "door handle bumpers" and to refurbish my locks. I'm also attempting to repair my power locking system as well. I got into this weekend and had a couple of questions:

1. Is the driver lock mechanism substantially different than the passenger system? On the driver side, I have nice metal parts and some spring-loaded linkages. On the passenger side, I have a plastic retainer and a (broken!) plastic actuation cam as well as a bent-rod linkage. Is that how it's supposed to be?

2. When I press the microswitches, I hear the relay click in the glove box. I have one working window motor left and it seems to work as expected; however, I am missing the "Central Locking Passenger Door Micro Switch Clip" on both sides. Is this simply a metal tab that bridges the contact between the lock cam and the microswitch? I see how that would work for locking, but how does it work for unlocking?

3. What is the purpose of the retention spring around the lock tumbler? Both of mine seem to be fairly shot.

4. What is the purpose of the little ball bearings that install in the tip of the tumbler? Are these just to provide a dentent for feedback when turning the lock? How in the world are you supposed to get them in there when reassembling?!?!

5. Does the trunk only lock/unlock at the command of the doors? I'm wondering if there's supposed to be a switch back there. I didn't see anything in the catalog but thought I'd ask for clarification.

Thank you for any help!

E
Evan Ruff, Atlanta GA, Engineer
1970 Ford F100
1972 BMW 3.0CSi, L-Jet 3.5L
1978 Ferrari 308GTB
1985 BMW M635CSi
2016 BMW M2