Lubricating the windshield wiper arm system with?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Lubricating the windshield wiper arm system with?

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hi guys,

Finally getting to some projects on the green beast, I'm replacing the rubber grommets that go around the shafts that come up through the cowl, and getting the visible parts powder coated, long overdue =D>

So, what's recommended for lubricating the arm system pivot points :-k

And while I'm in there, might as well lube the blower as well, recommendations for that [-o<

Thanks in advance \:D/

I'm gonna make another attempt at forming my own grommet for the large wiring harness that goes down to the ECU over the glove box, hopefully third time's a charm :roll:

Pix to follow later, once it's all back together :-"
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Lubricating the windshield wiper arm system with?

Post by GRNSHRK »

Seriously, crickets :-?

Geez, I expected some sort of recommendations, thinking I'll use something on the lighter side, don't want to gum things up :-k

I've got Tri-Flow, thoughts [-o<
Bobbo
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Personally I would use a very light coat of water proof grease or wheel bearing grease. A light coat won't gum up. White grease at the least
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Here's a shot of part of the linkage, this is not something you would see under the hood (or cowl area) without some digging :roll:

But you can see that these pivot points would need some sort of lube that penetrates, don't think any type of grease is gonna do the trick :-?

I also discussed this with Craig (pasocb) and we both agree that something like Tri-Flow would do the trick, penetrating and also PTFE based =D>

Once I get it cleaned up, I'll be able to get a better look [-o<
Attachments
IMG_03311.jpg
IMG_03311.jpg (737.38 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
Bobbo
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I would surely bead blast that mother before putting it together or at least soak it in a mild solution of white vinegar before using what ever lube you decide to use. I still would use something of substance. I drilled my shaft housings and put zerk fitting in them.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

Have a look at these products by CorrosionX, specified by a number of high end reel manufacturers. Have good adhesion properties.

https://www.corrosionx.com/products/reelx

https://www.corrosionx.com/collections/ ... cts/speedx
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

For the wiper arm I’d use some thick oil such as EP90, but just a small amount. For the blower motor I use a lighter oil such as 3-in-1. It’s easy to access it every couple of years to re-lube it.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Thanks Bert (and everyone else for their responses =D> ) but this does sound a bit excessive :-?
I would surely bead blast that mother before putting it together or at least soak it in a mild solution of white vinegar before using what ever lube you decide to use. I still would use something of substance. I drilled my shaft housings and put zerk fitting in them.
I would be surprised if your 6er will ever see rain, given you live in the desert #-o

Same here, very unlikely [-X

And besides, this isn't even visible :-"

So far the Tri-Flow seems to have freed things up nicely, don't think I have 3-in-1 for the blower, sewing machine oil was also suggested, again by Craig :wink:

Hoping for a quick turnaround from the powder coater and get this back together [-o<

Then, on to the next project, think the hood pad will be next :roll:

Oh, after I make another attempt to mold a grommet around that big honking harness :-({|=
Bobbo
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Hope you got your hood liner from Classic 9 leather Better than the BMW foam crap. If you didn't, get on their website and buy it. Get the thicker pad.Oh, they aren't leather but rather exceptionally high quality dense cell foam. Only way to fly
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hey Bert,

Yes, these guys, although the page did not load, for some strange reason :-?

http://www.classic9leathershop.com/bonn ... -3-pieces/

Maybe I better get on the stick and order one, before it's NLA [-o<

BTW, you've got a PM :wink:
Bobbo
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hood pad from Classic 9 Leather Shop is on the way \:D/

And get this, while the Mylar backed POS I had on there didn't last (2, in fact #-o ), get this, at least it peeled off in one piece :shock:

This will make the job much easier =D>

I also dropped off 5 pieces to a powder coater shop this morning, including both halves of the airbox, the 2 hoops that bolt to the hood which holds it down, and the aforementioned wiper system linkage piece that is visible over the wiper motor :-"

All for, get this, $125 :lol:

I'll post a different thread in the "Project" forum once I get everything back and in place :wink:
Attachments
IMG_03371.jpg
IMG_03371.jpg (642.53 KiB) Viewed 6434 times
Bobbo
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

I would NOT use sewing machine oil nor 3-in-1. Both are designed to evaporate over time. If you know an active sewer, they will tell you to frequently re-oil the machine. Un-oiled, neglected machines will gum up. I like white grease spray lube or white grease in a tube. That goes back to my days with outboard motors and a product called Lubriplate. They will coat the hinge points after you clean them out with solvent and help to prevent dirt from getting into the joint.
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

GRNSHRK wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:25 pm Hood pad from Classic 9 Leather Shop is on the way \:D/

And get this, while the Mylar backed POS I had on there didn't last (2, in fact #-o ), get this, at least it peeled off in one piece :shock:

I also dropped off 5 pieces to a powder coater shop this morning, including both halves of the airbox, the 2 hoops that bolt to the hood which holds it down, and the aforementioned wiper system linkage piece that is visible over the wiper motor :-"

I'll post a different thread in the "Project" forum once I get everything back and in place :wink:
GRNSHRK wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:25 pm Hood pad from Classic 9 Leather Shop is on the way \:D/

You can buy the wire bails (clips) for the air box for pennies at the dealer. They come all nice and shiney. Look great on my powder coated airbox
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Ken, thanks for the input regarding these lubricants, I went with the Tri-Flow and called it a day :roll:

Well, not reassembled yet, as I am waiting on the powder coated parts to come back [-o<

But I can't see how any type of grease could get into the bearings, which is why I still think some sort of penetrating lubricant would be the ticket :-k

Bert, the spring clips came off easily and are in good shape, so I don't think I will be replacing them :-?

Inside of the hood is all cleaned up now, just waiting for the hood pad to arrive =D>
Bobbo
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

sansouci wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:15 am I would NOT use sewing machine oil nor 3-in-1. Both are designed to evaporate over time.
I did say...." It’s easy to access it every couple of years to re-lube it." :wink: