Question: Installing Euro Turn Lenses

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

hornhospital wrote:That's what I'm going to try....take the base out and modify the reflector. It LOOKS like the bulb will clear. I wish I could contact the gentleman that sold me the Euro lenses and showed me the modification he did to his lights, but he's apparently moved with no forwarding address or active email address. I REALLY wish I had a plain 1984-87 base to modify, to see if this works without ruining one of my bases.

Yes, taking those bases out is a real fun job. #-o
Good luck and let me know how it works out. Just found out one of the Euro lenses, can't remember if it's the right or left, is backordered and will have to come from Germany. No big deal as it will likely be weeks until I can work on mine. I'm headed to Myrtle Beach to try and find some warmer weather next week.
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

Has anyone looked at the earlier post in this thread by PSandell? Does this not answer any questions?

Yes, you will have to lift the washer tank up and support it so you do not spill fluid. No tools required. Yes, you will have to remove the air box and this would be a good time to replace the filter. Not much in the way of tools required here. Then you can remove the light assemblies and remove the US reflector. Trim the small bulb mount off, relocate and affix with one of the original screw after you spray the base that will now be the reflector. This is really a minor job but could be complicated slightly if the wires are crimped together and not run thru the factory connector.
Alpina B9 coupe (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B9 sedan (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B6 clone in process (Alpinweiss)
Mini S (had to go: it was Electric Blue)
Rover Disco 1 (Alpine White)
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

Alpinacsi wrote:Has anyone looked at the earlier post in this thread by PSandell? Does this not answer any questions?

Yes, you will have to lift the washer tank up and support it so you do not spill fluid. No tools required. Yes, you will have to remove the air box and this would be a good time to replace the filter. Not much in the way of tools required here. Then you can remove the light assemblies and remove the US reflector. Trim the small bulb mount off, relocate and affix with one of the original screw after you spray the base that will now be the reflector. This is really a minor job but could be complicated slightly if the wires are crimped together and not run thru the factory connector.
You make a good point and now that I have reread the old post and studied the pictures I understand that he did exactly what I need to do in order to keep both of my bulbs and hopefully leave the wiring as it is now. I am pretty much a virgin when it comes to these cars and have a lot to learn. I should have been more diligent in doing my research and I admit my oversight. :oops:

Now, if it would just warm up I could start on my project. BTW, the airbox was removed last weekend and a new air filter was installed and it was easier than I thought it would be.

I sincerely appreciate all the help this forum and others provides. =D>
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Alpinacsi wrote:Has anyone looked at the earlier post in this thread by PSandell? Does this not answer any questions?
Good grief, how did I miss that!??? When I clicked on the thread it jumped to Randall's thread resurrection post and I never bothered to go back through the previous posts. Now I feel like a complete dumbass. :oops:
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
GWL

Post by GWL »

I want to thank Randall for resurrecting this thread. As a result of this thread I went into my long term storage to see if I still had the NA turn signal lenses and reflectors from my 87 M6 for him to experiment with. Unfortunately I do not, but as a happy outcome for me I found a spare set of Euro turn signals. I had forgotten this spare set and would have searched for a new set had anything happened to the set on the car. So thanks again Randall.
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

GWL wrote:I want to thank Randall for resurrecting this thread. As a result of this thread I went into my long term storage to see if I still had the NA turn signal lenses and reflectors from my 87 M6 for him to experiment with. Unfortunately I do not, but as a happy outcome for me I found a spare set of Euro turn signals. I had forgotten this spare set and would have searched for a new set had anything happened to the set on the car. So thanks again Randall.
Would you happen to have a spare set of Euro lenses? :wink:
GWL

Post by GWL »

rmorin1249 wrote:
GWL wrote:I want to thank Randall for resurrecting this thread. As a result of this thread I went into my long term storage to see if I still had the NA turn signal lenses and reflectors from my 87 M6 for him to experiment with. Unfortunately I do not, but as a happy outcome for me I found a spare set of Euro turn signals. I had forgotten this spare set and would have searched for a new set had anything happened to the set on the car. So thanks again Randall.
No, I just have the whole L & R set up Lenses and reflectors. I bought them back when I was converting my M6 to Euro specs to keep as spares.
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

GWL wrote:
rmorin1249 wrote:
No, I just have the whole L & R set up Lenses and reflectors. I bought them back when I was converting my M6 to Euro specs to keep as spares.
OK, thanks.
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

Here's a few pieces I found this morning while looking for something else. I am sure I have more but there is a nearly perfect left euro lens here.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (231.24 KiB) Viewed 5836 times
Alpina B9 coupe (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B9 sedan (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B6 clone in process (Alpinweiss)
Mini S (had to go: it was Electric Blue)
Rover Disco 1 (Alpine White)
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

Alpinacsi wrote:Here's a few pieces I found this morning while looking for something else. I am sure I have more but there is a nearly perfect left euro lens here.
You have a PM.
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

Much to my surprise my local dealer, Sun Motors, had the best pricing on the turn signal lenses so I ordered a pair. One has to come from Germany so it will be several weeks but given the weather we are having it might be 2 weeks before I get my driveway cleared out. Thanks for all the help. I now know what I need to do to modify my current housings to accept the new lenses and retain my current lights and wiring. This is a great forum.
dakal

euro

Post by dakal »

just finished reading this post.

i converted my us car to the euro lenses by grinding down the reflector until it fit properly. wasn't a problem, and i'm keeping the car till i die. i did it years ago so i can't remember where i bought them. i think i paid $35.00 for both of them.

WRONG

they were $40.00 each from carl in la jolla!

i put the receipt in a new thread