clear lens

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

dnd

Post by dnd »

pheww... i dont like rear clear lenses at all.
red ones looks much better.

that was the humblest opinion ever!
bfons

Post by bfons »

dnd wrote:pheww... i dont like rear clear lenses at all.
Agreed
Brian

-----------------------
1984 Graphite M635 - Project Graphite - Sold
1985 Polaris M635 - Polaris - Sold
1987 L6 Black/Lotus White - My Queen has a new home
1980 633csi - Gone but not forgotten
bfons

Post by bfons »

bfons wrote:
dnd wrote:pheww... i dont like rear clear lenses at all.
Agreed
Can you guys tell me if the front ones are still available? I emailed the guy but haven't heard anything back. :cry:
Brian

-----------------------
1984 Graphite M635 - Project Graphite - Sold
1985 Polaris M635 - Polaris - Sold
1987 L6 Black/Lotus White - My Queen has a new home
1980 633csi - Gone but not forgotten
val_c

Post by val_c »

As an alternative source: always available here EUR 99-119.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

General thoughts on the use of clear lenses . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

This issue is strictly a matter of opinion, and here's another :roll:

Clear lenses tend to look better on cars that are painted "shades", not "colors". By this I mean white, black and silver as shades, and "real" colors like blue, red and green do not, in general. If you look at 6ers that have clear lenses, they appear to me to look best on silver, white and black. But those installed on 6ers that are red or blue simply do not look "right" :?

So if you think about it, some may have seen clear lenses on a 6er painted a color that simply did not match well, while others, thinking they like them, may have seen a pic of a 6er painted in a "shade".

Hey, it's all a matter of opinion, like I said up front :!:

In addition, I think that smoked amber lenses also look good on certain darker "color" 6ers, but then again, not on those painted a "shade".

Anybody confused yet :?: :?: :?:

last thought, if you are going to make the switch to clear lenses. PLEASE use the special bulbs that are silver and not the standard amber ones. Amber bulbs behind clear lenses make your corners appear like fried eggs :wink:

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it :)
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
joe

clear lens

Post by joe »

hi all , i think clear front lens sit better on a 6r that has chrome bumpers irrelevant of colour or shade ,
just my opinion

later joe
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Bob wrote:
Amber bulbs behind clear lenses make your corners appear like fried eggs

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it
Cheers Bob, LMAO on a Saturday morning :D :D :lol:

Sharkfan
dnd

Re: General thoughts on the use of clear lenses . . .

Post by dnd »

GRNSHRK wrote:Clear lenses tend to look better on cars that are painted "shades", not "colors".
If you look at 6ers that have clear lenses, they appear to me to look best on silver, white and black. But those installed on 6ers that are red or blue simply do not look "right"
In addition, I think that smoked amber lenses also look good on certain darker "color" 6ers, but then again, not on those painted a "shade".
i think that there's no need to devide "colored" cars and "shaded".

everytghing is simple - when you installing a clear lenses - you make an accents on corners and visually the face of the car becomes wider. like on late 5-er - e34.

when you fade your turn signals to black - you make it's "eyes" looks wide open. we can ask any woman about this make-up ;))

here're the pictures to compare:

ps. i'm not talking about the rear clear lenses. i think they looks bad with every color - even white and black. the best way to "tune" the rear ones is to make them red. like alpina does.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I pretty much agree with the above. I thought about clears for my red 6er and decided against it. However its still a possibility for the white project car.....

Incidentally has anyone else had a problem seeing a 'new style' clear lens indicator (turn signal) light in bright daylight? Or caught a bad sunlight reflection from behind a clear lens? I have done both these things and I'm not sure modern lens technology is as good as it should be.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

chevale wrote:As an alternative source: always available here EUR 99-119.

No no no. Always available HERE
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Brucey wrote:....Incidentally has anyone else had a problem seeing a 'new style' clear lens indicator (turn signal) light in bright daylight? Or caught a bad sunlight reflection from behind a clear lens? I have done both these things and I'm not sure modern lens technology is as good as it should be.

Not necessarily a problem if you're going to be fitting LEDs, which come in water-clear packages, anyway.....
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Bling-tastic for sixers :shock:
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

sharkfan wrote:
Bling-tastic for sixers :shock:

Thankfully not as extreme as some of the kits you could get when the E24 was still a current model.......
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Thankfully not as extreme as some of the kits you could get when the E24 was still a current model.......
:shock: BLING :shock: BLING :shock: BLING :shock: BLING :shock: BLING :shock: BLING :shock: BLING :shock: BLING :shock: BLING :shock: BLING :shock: BLING :shock: BLING :shock: BLING :shock: BLING :shock: BLING :shock: BLING :shock:

8)
UKDaveJ

Clear lenses etc

Post by UKDaveJ »

I'm hoping that my good lady wife has ordered some clear front lenses as b'day pressie for me..... :roll:
I did copy an email to her account from Mats kinnby....., hopefully she got the hint! :wink:

I think that my black 6 will look great with clear front & side lenses.

I am personally very undecided by the clear rears. I stood looking tonight at the rear of our 330d & the 635 - usefully parked side by side. The 330d has clear rear lenses, but they are in line with the reversing lights - clearly clear....! So in essence, you have a horizontal band of clear, with red above & below.

On the 6 the reversing lights are a long way from the indicators - I stood trying to picture how it would look with clear rears & i came away thinking it would look crap. Having looked at dnd's pics I reckon that a clear rear with a light smoke effect might work, but I'm still unsure. Too heavy a tint would look a bit 'yoof-bling' for my tastes. I'm keen to see someone else take the plunge, so am pleased to see Ivan has ordered a set! :wink:
horsetan

Re: Clear lenses etc

Post by horsetan »

UKDaveJ wrote:...I'm keen to see someone else take the plunge, so am pleased to see Ivan has ordered a set! :wink:
Yes, just think: it didn't cost you ?76.24 :lol:
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

horsetan wrote:
UKDaveJ wrote:...I'm keen to see someone else take the plunge, so am pleased to see Ivan has ordered a set! :wink:
Yes, just think: it didn't cost you ?76.24 :lol:
True, but am sure you thought long & hard before you splashed out your hard-earned! :wink:
For you I guess it was a clear choice...... :roll:

You never know mate, you could start a trend here amongst UK 6'er owners, or worldwide for that matter!
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

UKDaveJ wrote:....you could start a trend here amongst UK 6'er owners, or worldwide for that matter!
Me bollocks it has :!:

It's taken me only five years just to get ONE more UK Six to carry clear front lenses....
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

horsetan wrote:
UKDaveJ wrote:....you could start a trend here amongst UK 6'er owners, or worldwide for that matter!
Me bollocks it has :!:

It's taken me only five years just to get ONE more UK Six to carry clear front lenses....
LOL! :lol:
I should be making it 3 before long! :wink:
dnd

Post by dnd »

i've tried to illustrate the difference between the clear rear lenses and the toned in red ones.
let's see it on the pictures below:

horsetan

Post by horsetan »

dnd wrote:...Image
THAT'S what I'm aiming for.
val_c

Post by val_c »

horsetan wrote:
chevale wrote:As an alternative source: always available here EUR 99-119.

Even better! Thanks for the link, but I decided to stay with red sidemarkers, like them more.
josecoy

Post by josecoy »

Where they can be bought in red color? :roll:
This one is one of my inventions :lol:
horsetan

UPDATE

Post by horsetan »

The good news is: the rear lenses have arrived in the UK.

The bad news is: the local Post Orifice won't deliver them to me until I pay the ?2.10 surcharge 'cos Radicast underpaid the postage from Sweden! Bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards :evil:
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

The bad news is: the local Post Orifice won't deliver them to me until I pay the ?2.10 surcharge 'cos Radicast underpaid the postage from Sweden! Bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards bastards

Hmm, that's an awful lot of profanity for just ?2.10............do you perhaps have some issues you need to discuss :D :lol: :wink:

As the good Doctor Crane said,"We're listening........" :wink: :lol:

Hope they fit 8) When you get them 8) 8) 8)