Driver door handle does not open car

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

janelson

Driver door handle does not open car

Post by janelson »

Interior handle works. Electric locks work. Everything but the exterior door handle works. What might have happened to get it into this state? FWIW, this was working fine this AM, then I took the car to a detailer and when I got it back, the problem was there.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Check and make sure that the little rubber cap is on the arm of the catch on the end of the door.

There is an adjustment on the handle, but it is inside the door, here is a look inside:

Here is how to get the door panel off:

viewtopic.php?t=2554&
janelson

Post by janelson »

Thanks. There are no rubber caps on either door latch, but both close as they should.

I will look inside to see if something has come loose.
janelson

Post by janelson »

Getting into this today. The '89 driver door panel removal looks to be different from the guidance provided in the pics for your car. I will see if I can sort it out, but if anyone has additional comments, please feel free.
janelson

Post by janelson »

Different but close enough, door panel is off, only breaking one nylon clip in the process.

The attached photo shows the broken aluminum part.
Attachments
009.jpg
009.jpg (39.04 KiB) Viewed 9558 times
janelson

Post by janelson »

So, the question now is who has this part?
m6csi

Post by m6csi »

I've replaced this pot metal part more times than I care to remember. Shame on Bmw for using this very brittle metal for such a highly stressed part. They are left and right specific. Order a couple of sets from the dealer, these are still relatively cheap. These handle levers do not match up with the Bmw parts illustration but they are the same. One hint, the mounting bolt is bolted directly into this lever but the hole on it is not threaded so tap it with a 5mm tapper.

Bert
88 M6
72 3.5 CSi
Last edited by m6csi on Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

it looks to me that the earlier STEEL part (as pictured above by Chris W) might fit the later handle, and that this would cure the problem of the brittle casting (bean counters at work if you ask me BTW).

Anyone done this?

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
e24trapt

Post by e24trapt »

yep the earlier cars are steel, why the hell did they switch to brittle pot metal? Probably to try to make money...knowing these parts would brake, damn manufacturers.... This part will also fit from an e23 7 series.
2002 Cadillac DTS Vogue 32v V8 (Daily)

1983 BMW 633csi N/A Beast (sold)
Cali 1988 BMW 635csi Resto (in progress)
Cali 1989 BMW 635csi high comp tuned zinnabar 5 speed (keeper)
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Interesting, the photo I posted above is from an '87 (11/86), hardly an early car. I wonder what determined which cars got the pot metal brackets?
arif

Re: Driver door handle does not open car

Post by arif »

Hello all,
I know this is a very old thread but I have the same problem and cannot find the part number on real oem.
janelson wrote:Different but close enough, door panel is off, only breaking one nylon clip in the process.

The attached photo shows the broken aluminum part.
Anyone know the part number I need?
1989 635csi Highline
Alpine White
Lotus White Interior

1989 m535i
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

#2 in the diagram. I don't remember which is left and which is right (odd number or even number).
Attachments
E24 door latch.JPG
E24 door latch.JPG (137.65 KiB) Viewed 6605 times
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
arif

Post by arif »

Thanks for that! I looked at that diagram and thought "nah, that looks nothing like it"
1989 635csi Highline
Alpine White
Lotus White Interior

1989 m535i