Roof Bars

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Roof Bars

Post by sharkfan »

Has anyone got aftermarket Roof Bars for their 6. I can remember years ago that THULE used to do a set for a6 but it's no longer listed - I've tried THULE stockists but they're not very helpful - another BM site said that the fitting kit for a 1980's SAAB 900 (THULE kit 368 ??) should fit but I'd like to find out for sure before ordering the parts.....

Any knowledge / history / part identification would be most helpful :D

Cheers,

Sharkfan :twisted:
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

You're fitting a ROOF RACK???

On a Six :?: :shock:
britten_mark

Post by britten_mark »

horsetan wrote:You're fitting a ROOF RACK???

On a Six :?: :shock:
:lol:

And while you're at it, a towbar, some of those plastic wind-deflector thingies, and those extra wing mirrors you screw on top of the wings! :)
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I think Thule used to do a kit that fitted a wide range of cars with roof gutters.

From the Mid '80s on SAABs used a hidden system with their 9000 model so these are no good to you. The 900 still had gutters at this point though.

These roof bars are presently appearing at a car boot sale near you for less than five quid.

I have some of these in the shed but I'd not thought to fit them on my 6er......

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UKDaveJ

Re: Roof Bars

Post by UKDaveJ »

sharkfan wrote:Has anyone got aftermarket Roof Bars for their 6. I can remember years ago that THULE used to do a set for a6 but it's no longer listed - I've tried THULE stockists but they're not very helpful - another BM site said that the fitting kit for a 1980's SAAB 900 (THULE kit 368 ??) should fit but I'd like to find out for sure before ordering the parts.....

Any knowledge / history / part identification would be most helpful :D

Cheers,

The question begs to be asked Kevin;

What exactly do you plan to put on your roof-rack, assuming you can get one?
If if were something like ski's for a cross continental jaunt to a ski resort such as Val D'isere or similar, then the 6 would make most stylish transport & would look very cool!

If its to take your old Christmas tree to the local refuse tip I'd suggest not!! :wink: :)

regards,

Dave 8)
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

I didn't plan a whole moral debate on the use of roof bars :? - whether it's a surfboard to the coast 8) , ski's to the mountains :D or my old christmas tree down to the tip :lol: - I didn't think that would hold any particular relevance over whether anyone would disclose any information :shock:

So has anyone got any information on roof-bars :?: :?: :?: :?:

UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

sharkfan wrote:I didn't plan a whole moral debate on the use of roof bars :? - whether it's a surfboard to the coast 8) , ski's to the mountains :D or my old christmas tree down to the tip :lol: - I didn't think that would hold any particular relevance over whether anyone would disclose any information :shock:

So has anyone got any information on roof-bars :?: :?: :?: :?:

Afraid not mate, from my end anyway.
What about other BMW's from the same sort of era?

Dave 8)
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

OK- I pulled mine out the shed and put them on the 6er. I think they originally were meant for a volvo or something.

they fit- kind of... the foot is OK but the clamp could be modified a little to fit better.

They are Thule model 1050.

hope this helps

cheers
Attachments
-bit nippy out.....
-bit nippy out.....
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sohlman

Post by sohlman »

I bet your hands were cold after you had finished doing that. look at that ice building on the roof. :lol:
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Thanks Brucey, the picture says a thousand words :D :D
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

sharkfan wrote:Thanks Brucey, the picture says a thousand words :D :D
Somewhere at my mothers' house I've a thule set from yesteryear when I used to go windsurfing, must dig it out & see if it fits, you never know
I might just use it! :wink:

Dave 8)