Passenger side mirror question

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

bfloshark

Passenger side mirror question

Post by bfloshark »

I know that this is not the sexiest of questions that have been posed on this board, bur here it is.

When taking apart my door to cure window motor and central lock woes on my 1980 633csi (e12 based), I noticed that there were wires hanging from the passenger mirror. This would not be strange, except for the fact that the car was not optioned with a power passenger mirror - only driver side. There is no selection switch on the control stick, and the wires from the bottom of the mirror were not hooked up to the harness going through the bottom of the door.

Questions to the Group:

- Does it make sense that BMW would put a power mirror in the car, not hook it up, and not charge for it?

- It there any easy way to see if there is actually a motor in the mirror?

Thanks,

Dale
1980 633ci
Safari Beige/Gobi Tan
UKDaveJ

Re: Passenger side mirror question

Post by UKDaveJ »

bfloshark wrote:I know that this is not the sexiest of questions that have been posed on this board, bur here it is.

When taking apart my door to cure window motor and central lock woes on my 1980 633csi (e12 based), I noticed that there were wires hanging from the passenger mirror. This would not be strange, except for the fact that the car was not optioned with a power passenger mirror - only driver side. There is no selection switch on the control stick, and the wires from the bottom of the mirror were not hooked up to the harness going through the bottom of the door.

Questions to the Group:

- Does it make sense that BMW would put a power mirror in the car, not hook it up, and not charge for it?

- It there any easy way to see if there is actually a motor in the mirror?

Thanks,

Dale
1980 633ci
Safari Beige/Gobi Tan
Just realised that your questions have remained unanswered Dale.

Not sure really, but understand the logic of your question - why indeed put a power mirror on & not charge for it - doesn't sound like BMW to me either! :roll:

In terms of checking whether a motor is in the mirror, can you not just apply 12V to it?

Hope this helps.
Dave:D
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Paseenger mirror

Post by ron »

Some early Uk 6's had non-power passenger mirrors fitted.The loom was there but no motor!!!BMW's idea of saving money.Easy way to check is take the mirror off (triangular bit of trim and three screws) and see if the mirror has wiring attached.
Regds.
bfloshark

Good thought!

Post by bfloshark »

Sometimes, the easiest solution escapes me. I guess just putting 12v would make is do "something" if there is a motor in there.

Cheers,
Dale
1980 633csi