body changes

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

The Sixer Kid

body changes

Post by The Sixer Kid »

Other than the spoiler and bumper changes over the life of the car, does anyone know if the fenders or hood changed during the course of its run? any insight would be much appreciated. thanks
horsetan

Re: body changes

Post by horsetan »

thesixerkid wrote:Other than the spoiler and bumper changes over the life of the car, does anyone know if the fenders or hood changed during the course of its run? any insight would be much appreciated. thanks
Euro-spec cars made from May'82 onwards had larger flares on the fenders/ wing panels....

The hood / bonnet lid stayed the same.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

Early euro 6ers also did not have indicator repeaters in the trailing edge of the front wing (fender).

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Brucey wrote:Early euro 6ers also did not have indicator repeaters in the trailing edge of the front wing (fender)...
These only came in from about mid-1984 onwards, so there were a good many post-May '82 E28 floorpan cars which did not have them....
The Sixer Kid

Post by The Sixer Kid »

So the changes only occured on the euro spec cars?
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

thesixerkid wrote:So the changes only occured on the euro spec cars?
The US-spec ones are a bit more confusing to us Euro drivers.

The 633 was the long-time staple of the US market, but - as far as I know - a good few of the pre-05/82 build were still sold after May 1982.

The giveaway would still be the size of the flared wheelarches, plus one other detail point, which I will try and put up shortly......

...and that detail point is:

...the size of the stub end of the roof gutter channel. Early Sixes had a small stub end as seen in this photo, but all the E28-based ones had a longer one which had to be fastened to the wing / fender panel with two screws.
UKDaveJ

Screw that!

Post by UKDaveJ »

I never knew that!

Both my 6'ers have two screws, missing a screw cap on one screw, but definitely 2 screws!

Dave 8)