Fuel Tank (UK)

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts wanted.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Muskar

Fuel Tank (UK)

Post by Muskar »

I'm looking for a new fuel tank for my '85 635. I've been quoted over ?500 :shock: for a BMW part by Motormec (who seem to be able to get anything!). Does anyone know any other sources? Pattern part? Reconditioning? I want to check out all the options (if there are any) before forking out ?500.
I would also welcome a S/H one if in good nick.
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

New from Euro Car Parts ?100 odd a couple of years ago for me.

I've got a decent second hand one for ?40 if you're interested, but you'd have to come and get it from Cheltenham.

Cheers,

Rob
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
Muskar

Post by Muskar »

Thanks for your post on this and my other thread.

Ideally I would get a new one but they seem to be very dificult to find so I may well settle for a used one.

What kind of condition is yours in? Can you tell if there is any/much corrosion inside?

P.S. you wouldn't happen to be interested in a tow bar would you?
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

It doesn't rattle when you shake it and looks clean inside filler neck. I've just wirebrushed the rust trap bit on the top so there shouldn't be any hidden nasties. I'll rustproof it soonest, but wanted you to see it "in the raw"!

http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k314/ ... el%20tank/

Not interested in towbar thanks,

Rob
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
Muskar

Post by Muskar »

Rob,
Sorry for delay replying and thanks for posting the photos. I still may be interested (if you still have it) but I am still chasing up a couple of leads on a new one, although no luck so far.

(Tow bar was a long shot I admit.... :wink: )
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Muskar wrote:....P.S. you wouldn't happen to be interested in a tow bar would you?
If it is specifically for the E24, then I would. :-k
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Euro car parts have them for ?208, but they have a 25% off sale at the moment.

You could try this one for ?135 .....

http://secure.fueltanksdirect.co.uk/bmw ... -133-p.asp

.....as I'm pretty sure that it will fit your car. I checked their p/n but it does not register on Real OEM.

Good luck!
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

horsetan wrote:
Muskar wrote:....P.S. you wouldn't happen to be interested in a tow bar would you?
Yes, your horse was complaining just the other day that he was fed up with pulling his horse box and suggested that you used your car instead :wink:
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Pod wrote:
horsetan wrote:
Yes, your horse was complaining just the other day that he was fed up with pulling his horse box and suggested that you used your car instead :wink:
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

............."careful now" :wink:
Muskar

Post by Muskar »

I finally bit the bullet and went for a new tank from Euro Car Parts (thanks Pod) and fitted it at the weekend. The fuel emptied out the old fuel tank was brown with thick brown sludge at the bottom and *loads* of rust :shock: . It is a surprise the car even ticked over.
Anyway, after a year of owning the car it *finally* runs like it should :D

Now to MOT it...... [-o<

wattsmonkey,
Thanks for the offer of the second hand one and for the photos.

horsetan,
Took the towbar off my car when I bought it so I assume it is specifically for an E24. I'll send you a message with some photos.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Good to hear you've sorted it out. It would be wise to check/replace the hose between the tank and fuel filter if the old tank was that badly clogged up. Change the filter too .

Horsetan's equine buddy will be SO happy if you sell him the towbar :lol:
Muskar

Post by Muskar »

Yes, all new hoses and filter. I had replaced the pump and lifter earlier so these got a flush through with fresh fuel and air line.
Is it worth dropping some injector cleaner in the fuel just in case anything did get past the filter? I have read on here that some people pop some in once a year anyway.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Well, it wouldn't do any harm. Some people get their injectors professionally cleaned. Whether or not its worth the effort/money - who knows!