NEEDED: 6 injectors for an 85 Euro M6

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts wanted.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

JamaicaWI

NEEDED: 6 injectors for an 85 Euro M6

Post by JamaicaWI »

All the injectors in my 85 Euor M6 test completly bad when tested with a known working OHM meter. I would like to somehow acquire a set of injectors that will work. A set that either tests OK with an OHM meter or a set that was removed when known to be running clean.
Maybe you have changed a set or have a set that would be suitable??

I'm not a big ca$h buyer otherwise I'd just go to my local BMW dealer who sells me stuff discounted. We have narrowed the problem to the injectors since we finally have a working MAF(AFM?)...I'm not techie!!

I do have very qualified BMW mechanic doing the work but he doesn't like to do any posting or internet work. In the shop work only and has access
to all the manuals. But he is leaving it to me to locate parts he needs.

I do know he said he would rather have a set of working used ones than pay for remanufactured ones.

If anyone has a lead or suggection I would prefer Email.
to [email protected]

After 4 years of being the corner project in the shop we finally have paint work done and the mechanical and electrical isystems sorted out....
EXCEPT for getting it to run clean!!

Thanks in advance for any leads or advice on the set of injects I need.
Tell me what it takes in ca$h or trade?!

Hellluvadeal,
Frosty in Illinois
DesktopDave

Post by DesktopDave »

I'm sure someone with a better opinion will chime in, but until then...I'd recommend researching refurbished Bosch 210cc (19#) "yellow" injectors. They're relatively cheap, commonly available (Ford used them on mid-90s V8's) and slightly improved technology (the 4-hole injector provides better fuel atomization).

Be sure the injectors flow enough for your application and match the injector resistance your DME requires (I believe you require high-impedance, ~12 ohms or so). Also make sure you get the injectors with a grooved body (for the stock retaining clips), EV1 wiring connectors and the longer style (I believe the part number on mine is 0 280 150 556).

I did this on my 318i a while back, and the car runs better. That car's M42 tends to run a bit rough, these injectors along with a new O2 sensor made a definite difference in idle, WOT and fuel economy.

They do inject slightly less fuel at a given pressure but the DME/ECU should be able to compensate effectively with the O2 sensor. No changes to the DME were required.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

He has the "Euro" M6, I believe he means the M635 which is the Euro version of the M6 which uses the Low Impedance Injectors.
JamaicaWI

Yes it is euro M model....delivered new in Euope

Post by JamaicaWI »

Thanks Chris for understanding my incorrect labeling of Euro M6!!
I didn't know original owner or who imported the car around 1987,
(only found a few original papers in glove box and boot),only met the last owner and took his version of the cars past with skepticism.
Didn't trouble with CarFax as I was buying it anyway and it was what it was and I was happy.

This car shows a VIN# WBAEE310501050679
Not sure of the proper original part numbers
No way for me to know IF the parts on the car were original but these
are part #'s we have: ecm# are 02612000555...injector# is 0280150201

The mechanic knows the car is supposed to have the low impedence injectors and we are trying to find a complete set of used ones that test OK for the resistance in the specs needed. I apologize as I know my layman's desriptive words are quite often not correct!

APPARENTLY HE WANTS TO FIND A FUEL RAIL WITH A SET AND IS RESEARCHING SOME SITES ...... BE NICE TO FIND A SET THAT HAD ALREADY BEEN PROPERLY CLEANED or known to be running that way. ifnot does anyone have a suggetion as to who to send the rail to here in the US for that cleaning? Makes more sense than trying to keep running cleaners thru the fuel if it isn't running clean BUT I imagine he will install what we find and see how the "drive test" works. Sure glad he isn't being paid by the hour!! I'm not techie with the wrenches and the labor I have little patience for BUT I have good seat of the pants feel for how something is running and will be happy to have it pass that test .

Hopefully we get some leads this week on what he wants.
The weather is unusually mild here for winter right now and had hoped to take a rewarding test drive on dry roads If the weather system goes to snow/cold/ice I'm on the plane down to Jamaica and the mechanic can plod and shovel his way a 100 meters to his shop!! He doesn't like people standing over him to watch his work anyway so i will do that from 3000 miles away instead of the 75 miles we live apart.....works for me.
I'll bring him back some rum and coffee and a few good cigars as a reward for duty above and beyond.

My 83 Euro 628 5 speed and my favorite the '76 Euro 630 CS 4 speed
both run and drive crisp and clean and I'll keep those 2 but I have REALLY been looking forward to some cockpit on the M car before it finds a new home. It is fun to see and drive a well sorted long term project.
And I think I'll be of the mind set to let it go If someone has a love for it when they have the fund$ ..... to often in the past I have just told them it isn't for sale. It is such a buyers market now so i won't hold my breath as ca$h buyers are in short supply. If, big IF, the M is running good then I can wait awhile to find its new owner.... I'm sure it will give more smiles than the other 6's I have owned as so many of you guys can attest to!!

Enough for tonite. Weather is looking good for the morning so it will be another day with chainsaws and backhoe doing the kind of work I enjoy
out at the farm.

Helluvadeal.... over n out
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I just posted a few comments in the AFM wanted thread re injectors but the other thing to bear in mind is that the only way the injectors could make it run rich is if they are sticky and don't close quickly. A flow test will sort this out PDQ. But another clue would be that the car would run progressively better towards WOT but not the rest of the time if the injectors are sticky.

They measure low resistance because they are meant to. If even one had failed to a dead short the others wouldn't open at all because they are connected in paralell.

IMHO its not the injectors which are the problem here, or if it is, its not the only thing.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JamaicaWI

makes sense to me!!

Post by JamaicaWI »

Brucey,
Thanks again for your detailed easy to understand diagnosing.
Much helpful to me and I pass along these notes when I call my friend/mechanic who has Ol Grey at his home workshop. he is only working partime at the dealership due to the slow economy.

Wish you were 3000 miles closer.... 2 good heads with proper tools always sorts out stuff quicker...... OR gets its way apart quicker.

I will definitley hail you up with what all troubles we find befoe its over,
assuming there reslly is a pony some where here with all this horsehit.

)'s and LOL
frosty
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

To look up what parts should be on your particular car, goto one of the Parts Manuals online (see below*) and enter the last 7 digits of your VIN and it will show what should be on your car.

All of the of the e24 ///M's (Euro and US) seem to use the 0 280 150 201 injectors. To get them cleaned/overhauled**, WitchHunters seems to be a very good place, lots of great information on their site, $120:
http://witchhunter.com/

I'd just check the resistance on yours for shorts and opens and if they test good, send them to WitchHunters and be done with it.

The 0 208 150 201 injector should have a resistance of approx. 2 to 3 Ohms at 68? F (20?C). Pull the pigtail to the injector and measure each one separately.

This is from the Factory Spec. Book. You can down load it from here:
viewtopic.php?p=53625

The 0 280 150 201 Bosch injector no longer seems to be available, so Five-O Injectors has no new ones for sale and they want $255 (+core) for a set of "Remanufactured" injectors, so WitchHunters seems the way to go used. But they do have a New Replacement injector, the Bosch 0 280 150 159 for $274 a set/6 if you want new:
http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/fuel-injectors/bmw/

If you are searching junk yards for use injectors (if some of yours test bad), here is just a partial list the 0 280 150 201 injector was used on:
1988-91 M3 2.3L S14
1982-84 633CSi, 733i
1983-84 533i
1987-91 M3 2302cc
1987-88 M5 3453cc
1986-89 M6

You can find a more complete list at BMWfans, just look up your injector part number and then click on the part number and you can drill down on all of the cars the part was used on right to the build date.

** There is no difference between a good cleaning and an "Overhaul" or "Remanufactured". There is nothing you can rebuild in an injector. See the WitchHunter site for more info.

* BTW, have you seen the "Goodie Page"? It has links to Online (or PDF Downloads) of the Factory Workshop Manuals, Wiring Diagrams (ETM's), Parts Manuals, Online Suppliers, etc.:
viewtopic.php?t=10410
It is actually in the "Tech Articles" Section, "Stickied" at the top as "E24 Shop Manual" if you need to find it later.
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Frosty,

If you still need injectors, PM photopark (Doug) as he has taken many M635s apart. You might get lucky.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
JamaicaWI

to Brucey, Chris and Ralph

Post by JamaicaWI »

TO All: it now turns out the mechanics OHM meter was bad!!
He brought one home from the dealership and all injectors tested OK!
No doubt they need a proper cleaning and could be sticky.... we'll do that.
BUT the remanned AFM he was supplied by their wholesaler was not a correct one either so he returned it today.
The original was " The afm# 0280203025", it tests bad and so was the one I bought a couple years ago.
So we now hoping that a proper AFM can be located.
Not ready to spring for $500 + for NOS .....its winter here and this project has been going for over 5 years so I not in a hurry and would like to find a good used 1.

I think there is a chance that some model other than the 84-85 Euro 635M
possibly has a compatible or exact interchange??

To Ralph: I have no idea who Doug is or how to contact him??
never have used or recieved a "PM" >>>> I like Email but these posts are working good My Email is "[email protected]"
IF this Doug would have the AFM we need a "The afm# 0280203025"
I'd be interested in a known working one that will test out in Spec.
Better yet my home # is 618-239-9098 OR I would gladly call him.

To Chris: Thanks for those links, I have stashed them away and copied the whole post.... it turns out that I have a "parts car" that was on the list you posted of compatible donor cars for the injectors!! have had it for years and it was running when it was totaled by being sideswiped on the drivers side rear behind the door. Will very likely take the injectors and rail off and test and clean and put on the shelf in a vacuum bag.
Is there any chance that the AFM off that car is workable??....not very confident that 5 years of sitting outside in these seasons has done to the stuff under hood!! In meantime ee will keep looking for good used one.

To Brucey: Your well detailed and understandable posts are refreshing.
Your advice is most appreciated here. max respect

TO all: thanks for taking the time to reply.

PS: I think I should start looking for a spare CPU to have on the shelf.
The number in it now is "02612000555"
When I have spares on hand I don't have as many failures!!

Thanks guys
Helluvadeal, Frosty
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

OK Frosty. I'll try and contact Doug and see if he can help you. In the meantime keep an eye on this ebay find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330667007548?ss ... 1423.l2649

These do not come up very often and usually fetch more than $400. I think you wrote one too many 5s in your post.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Chris Wright

Re: to Brucey, Chris and Ralph

Post by Chris Wright »

JamaicaWI wrote:TO All: it now turns out the mechanics OHM meter was bad!!
He brought one home from the dealership and all injectors tested OK!
No doubt they need a proper cleaning and could be sticky.... we'll do that.
Ah .... that is good. 8)
BUT the remanned AFM he was supplied by their wholesaler was not a correct one either so he returned it today.
The original was " The afm# 0 280 203 025", it tests bad and so was the one I bought a couple years ago. ...... I think there is a chance that some model other than the 84-85 Euro 635M
possibly has a compatible or exact interchange??
It looks like only the Euro M5, M635 (055 DME) and the US M5, M6 (179 DME) used the 0 280 203 025 AFM.

What is testing bad on the AFM? If it has "dead" spots on the resistor strip or a fluctuating output signal from the resistor strip there is a simple fix to try first:

Testing and Adjusting the AFM:
http://www.the944.com/afm.htm
PS: I think I should start looking for a spare CPU to have on the shelf. The number in it now is "0 261 200 0555"
When I have spares on hand I don't have as many failures!!

One too many digits, it should be 0 261 200 055.

The different Bosh parts all have the same prefix and most people just refer to the last 3 didits:
Bosch ECU part number prefix = 0 261 200 xxx
Bosch AFM part number prefix = 0 280 203 xxx
Bosch Injector part number prefix = 0 280 150 xxx
_________

FYI, DME = ECU = CPU
Digital Motor Electronics (Motronic)
Engine Control Unit
Central Processing Unit (not really used much)