Rear view mirror

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts wanted.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

francoid

Rear view mirror

Post by francoid »

Hi, looking for a rear view mirror, mirror on mine has a lot of little spots and marks. Either just the adjustable part or the full part # 51161817122
Thank you
dwcains

Re: Rear view mirror

Post by dwcains »

If you get lucky with an eBay search, you might find an E30 mirror with the maplights, which is a nice upgrade. You can also retain the original mount and modify other mirrors to work, such as the self-dimming Gentex mirrors. I've got one in my car, sourced from some horrible GM car, with maplights, LED compass, and self-dimming glass. Not original, but it's nice to have, and easily removed.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

francoid

Post by francoid »

Ah, that's an interesting thought... How far can I go in ugliness for practicality? I had not thought of that...

Would you kindly post a picture of your setup?

Thank you
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

It doesn't look much uglier than any other rear view mirror:

Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

francoid

Post by francoid »

Ah, just what I needed, one more project!

I am tempted. I assume you got power from the sunroof? I've never fiddled with that area (headlining and such) and am not sure I am eager to... How did you find that part of the job?

Now if I can find one with a yellow display 8)
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

The mirror needs both switched and constant power; switched was pulled from the sunroof motor and the constant was pulled from the dome light over the passenger door. I did pull off the front header panel, but I had to anyway while I was replacing the sunroof motor. It's might be possible to snake the wires without pulling the header panel, but it would be a lot more difficult. Some cars had a light in the passenger side sun visor, which my car lacked, so that might be a source of power, too. Not sure.

The mirrors are available with an orange display, but they're a lot tougher to find and they're more $. I have one in my 350Z:

That one lacks the map lights, but the Z has them in the roof panel. It also has the "Homelink" electronics for opening electric garage doors.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

francoid

Post by francoid »

Thank you. One more thing on the list, that list is growing faster than I am able to get things done!

Gentex mirrors appear to call for windshield glued mounting, were you able to retain the original BMW mount? I'd rather not change that...
francoid

Post by francoid »

Actually looking at your pictures, it appears you did retain the original mount, I'd be curious as to how you did it? Thanks
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

I broke apart the original mirror and cut the mount out of it. There's really no way to do it without totally destroying the mirror, though, so there's no going back. The Gentex Mirror is easy to split apart without doing any damage, and then I transferred the BMW mount to the Gentex mirror. Here's a pic of the back of the Gentex:

And, with the BMW mount glued in with JB Weld:

Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

francoid

Post by francoid »

Thank you, elegant but radical :)
Carlp336

Post by Carlp336 »

you can have mine..

shoot me a message. pay for shipping .
.1977 H&B 630CSI - http://www.sidedraftsix.com.