WTB Sport seat knee bolster 2 plug wire

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts wanted.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

soccernut

WTB Sport seat knee bolster 2 plug wire

Post by soccernut »

Looking for the 2 wire male pin plug with some wire that fits the sport seat for the knee bolster, this is the one coming from the car harness to the seat.
1988 m6 1988 635 csi
Max Funderburk

Re: WTB Sport seat knee bolster 2 plug wire

Post by Max Funderburk »

Dear Soccernut, I am troubleshooting the same issue. My electric adj. headrest sport seats are not OEM for my 88 635CSi...they were added by previous owner and he never bothered to get the seat bolsters working. I have found that I need 12v applied to 2 'male' pins in the main bolster connector. Since they are 'male' pins I need a 2 pin 'female' pin connector in order to supply the 12v.

I am wondering why you are searching for a 2 pin male connector.

I applied an external supply and the bolster works great. I am chasing options and have several irons in the fire trying to conquer this issue and get the seat working -and out of my living room. Whatever I find for a solution will be applied twice 'cause both seats have the same problem.

Please email me.... I have photos to explain what I have found and would really like to know more details on your problem.........perhaps we can find a solution sharing our info......thanks, [email protected]
maxnt-coupe crazy
'88 635 CSi
Londonderry, NH
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

The easiest solution is to just splice the two wires for the leg bolster to the +12V power wire and ground wire in the main loom. Yellow with Red or Red with Yellow for the power and brown for the ground. Do this all within the under side of the seat and the seat can then be plug and play for any other car with power seats (except memory/non-memory swap).

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
henryc

Post by henryc »

Ralph, good tip and I'm sure much appreciated by Soccernut and Max. You are always a good source of parts knowledge and technical advice.

Kirsti and I will be flying to LA then driving from LA to Palm Springs in a few weeks- we'll wave your direction when we pass by!
We might even stop at that Chick Fil A again- ha ha
/Henryc
Currently in the garage:
86 635 CSi
91 850i
91 325i Cabrio
74 MGB/GT
74 Alfa Romeo Spider
08 S2000
06 Volvo V70 T5
02 MB CL600
Max Funderburk

Post by Max Funderburk »

Ralph, Thanks for the tip.

As you suggested, I spliced into the 12v on the main input connector on my passenger seat, soldered the wires to 2 BMW female connector pins, plugged those pins into the missing 2 connector pins on the bolster motor connector and WHALLA! Thigh bolsters work like a champ.

Guess I was 'over thinking' the repair.

Photo of connector is attached, 2 wires on top of connector (black and white) are what I added.......hopefully this will help Soccernut with his bolster movement.

Can't wait to get the driver's seat done now!

Thanks Ralph, much appreciated.....Max
Attachments
bolster conn.jpg
bolster conn.jpg (216.45 KiB) Viewed 4632 times
maxnt-coupe crazy
'88 635 CSi
Londonderry, NH
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

You're welcome MaxF. I can't take full credit as Jim Moreno gave me the idea when he spliced in the connectors that I sold him. I thought it was the smart thing to do - not stock, but better since you're not changing the car.

PM sent Henry. Have a great trip

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)