Heater valve wanted uk

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts wanted.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Niner

Heater valve wanted uk

Post by Niner »

Any ideas where to get a heater valve? Anyone got a spare? There’s a guy selling on flea bay but it’s£260 🤕
Walloth nEsh don’t seem to have any
Gone but not forgotten
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Heater valve wanted uk

Post by ron »

Have you tried dismantling yours and cleaning the filter?
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Hefeweizen

Post by Hefeweizen »

Niner wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:27 pm Any ideas where to get a heater valve? Anyone got a spare? There’s a guy selling on flea bay but it’s£260 🤕
You tried a repair kit?
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/3065
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)
80 633CSi (Red Euro, Project)

"If you think a good European mechanic is expensive, try a bad one!"
Niner

Post by Niner »

Thank you hevewiezen, was hoping for something a bit closer to home but if needs must
Gone but not forgotten
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

Don't want to muddy the waters but thought it might be helpful sharing my experience with the heater valve.

The MTC repair kit I used didn't work that well. It didn't leak but the heater operation wasn't right.

When I rebuilt the engine I then forked out a huge amount for a BMW OEM complete replacement heater valve. Once gain the heater operation wasn't quite right and after a couple thousand K's operation, shit itself. Lost about a litre of coolant with most on the garage floor after a long run.

I then embarked on the same investigation many before me have obviously undertaken taken, see below:
http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph ... n&start=25
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s ... bmw-5.html

The so called OEM complete replacement valve is made in China and (part) junk. [By the way TMS wouldn't even return my emails when I raised the issue, so arse to them]

The quality of the rubber diaphragm and end seal (of the OEM valve) is better than MTC. The seated valve assembly length is different, relying solely on this to provide an effective seal with no spring to compensate after the diaphragm beds in - hence why it leaked.

Regarding the MTC kit the diaphragm has a rough outer edge - can see this in the photos where these are advertised, and I suspect the wavy washer does not offer the same tension as the original.

In the end I completely disassembled my original valve which I had kept, and used only the diaphragm and seal from the Chinese model. So used the original body, solenoid, brass washer, screen and circlip.

I would suggest try doing the same with the MTC kit, carefully tidy up the ragged edge of the diaphragm and make sure this seats properly in the housing when assembling. It's only the rubber bits you really need.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
Niner

Post by Niner »

Thanks Ron and JPS635, I’ll give stripping it a go and work from there, thanks everyone for the input :D
Gone but not forgotten
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Niner wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:27 pm Any ideas where to get a heater valve? Anyone got a spare? There’s a guy selling on flea bay but it’s£260 🤕
Replied to your PM today :wink:
randall977

Post by randall977 »

I've used the cheapo ones off eBay twice and they've been fine. Pretty easy to change over and at a fraction of the price I think they're worth the risk. The genuine parts are obviously not that great anyway.
Niner

Post by Niner »

Happy chap today, I fitted a repair kit in the heater valve, and.......it works 😁😁😁😁😁
Nice not to have hot air all the time, I got nice cold air blowing and graduated heat, just in time for winter
Now to tackle the blower, it’s either off or on full
Thanks for all the advice
Gone but not forgotten
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Niner wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:07 pm Happy chap today, I fitted a repair kit in the heater valve, and.......it works 😁😁😁😁😁
Nice not to have hot air all the time, I got nice cold air blowing and graduated heat, just in time for winter
Now to tackle the blower, it’s either off or on full
Thanks for all the advice
Did you use the MTC ones that everyone says is no good? Which repair kit did you use?
I'm heading in this direction except I have the opposite problem. There's warm air blowing at my feet when my A/C is on!
I hope it's a heater valve issue...
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383