High Output Lights / Fall 2015 update, sale

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts for sale.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MisterFixit

High Output Lights / Fall 2015 update, sale

Post by MisterFixit »

Edit- See Sept. 26 post for new deals!

Just received a set of reflectors from a Colorado aviator, Katie; She parted out an 1984 633CSi, and these lights are looking for a new home in the back of your shark!

I am restoring the reflector surfaces, and installing high output bulbs, plus doubling the size and output of the tails and brakes, to help you stay safe out there.

By converting to double filament high output bulbs in two locations you can prevent three problems- dim lights, no lights, and damage/injury to car and passengers.

Love to help you, just give me a shout.
Last edited by MisterFixit on Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Lighting Upgrades for 2002, E3, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Headlight and Tail Light upgrades for maximum visibility. Headlight protection to keep lights intact.
FL BLK SHRK

Post by FL BLK SHRK »

Hey Mr. Fixit!
Do you have a write up on how to restore your tail lights (what bulbs to use, specifically) or would you be willing to share that info? I am looking to resote my taillights this weekend. Warning panel says I have a bulb out, and I do!
I would really appreciate any info.

Thanks!
markh

Post by markh »

Subscribed - this is on my to-do list too.
1988 ///M Zinno/Lotus 70K miles
MisterFixit

Restoring rear lights

Post by MisterFixit »

FL BLK SHRK wrote:Hey Mr. Fixit!
Do you have a write up on how to restore your tail lights (what bulbs to use, specifically) or would you be willing to share that info? I am looking to restore my taillights this weekend. Warning panel says I have a bulb out, and I do!
I would really appreciate any info.

Thanks!
Hey Florida!

Restoration is a bit of a process, but basically here is what I do:

1-- disassemble lights, remove bulbs, clean reflectors and lenses.
2-- sand (600-1000 grit) or chemically prep reflector surfaces.
3-- mask and paint to restore reflective 'shiny' silvering.
4-- replace all bulbs with new ones - NICKEL base, similar wattage.
5-- replace old gaskets (your nickel), reassemble and test lights

Bulbs used in stock lights are 4 candlepower (cp) for tail, 32 cp for brake/turn/reverse. ALL BMW bulbs are nickel base, not brass - which will corrode and end up with weak (or no) light output.

I have and recommend high output nickel base bulbs with approx. 33% more output (45 cp versus stock 32 cp) in the brake, turn, and reverse lights, and 150% more (10 cp versus stock 4 cp) in the tail light.

I also re-designed with new contacts and wiring to get more light, using two filament bulbs where the original uses one filament bulbs. I am able to light TWO lights in the same socket- tail light and brake light- where there is now just one. I started doing this in my 1972 2002 (roundie), then in my 1986 535i, and now I do it for LOTS of BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, and other cars.

This has three advantages, as I see it.

A- Brighter bulbs make the car easier to see from distance. In foggy, rainy, dusty, and snowy conditions, I would expect 500-1,000 feet, or even better. Longer sight distance means more time to stop.

B- Bigger lights - a larger lighted area - are visually 'closer' and demand more immediate action when slowing or stopping. You can't drive the car behind you, but you can help them to know CLEARLY when you are going to slow or stop.

C- Multiple bulbs per side are redundant - any one of them meets the need, but ANY bulb can fail. However, two tail light bulbs per side means the probability of BOTH failing on the same side of the car on the same day is VERY SMALL. So, you will, practically speaking, always have working tail and brake lights on both sides of the car.

Hope this is of some help, but if you have more questions, fire away!
Last edited by MisterFixit on Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Lighting Upgrades for 2002, E3, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Headlight and Tail Light upgrades for maximum visibility. Headlight protection to keep lights intact.
markh

Post by markh »

I also re-designed with new contacts and wiring to get more light, using two filament bulbs where the original uses one filament bulbs. I am able to light TWO lights in the same socket- tail light and brake light- where there is now just one. I started doing this in my 1972 2002 (roundie), then in my 1986 535i, and now I do it for LOTS of BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, and other cars.
So is this a retrofit kit you make/sell, and if yes more info please? Sounds like you're on to something.

Best - Mark
MisterFixit

Rear light restoration

Post by MisterFixit »

markh wrote:
So is this a retrofit kit you make/sell, and if yes more info please? Sounds like you're on to something.

Best - Mark
Yes, Mark, I make and sell this kit for anone who wants their shark to stay 'unmolested' -- undamaged from rear end collisions. I start with a set of reflectors, do the restoration work, install all bulbs, and ship it to you. The kit is designed to be swapped in for your reflectors, plug and play. Then, I use your reflectors to make up the next kit for another shark.

It takes several days, but it is a labor of love, so to speak, and I really enjoy my work! The difference in rear end visibility is nothing short of astounding.

I am building a kit right now for Manny D. on the 'MyE28' group, and have done a few here in California (where I am temporarily stationed). I invite you to come and see the kit and witness the swap, but it's a bit of a haul from The Windy City to 'The City by the Bay'.

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=103301

It's not cheap, but consider the cost of a new E24 tail light lens by comparison ... not to mention possible personal injury or sheet metal work. I think of it as a safety enhancement to extend your - and your car's - life expectancy.

It's why I say 'Be Seen, and Not Hurt'. And thanks for asking!
Last edited by MisterFixit on Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
johnfrazier

Re: Rear light restoration

Post by johnfrazier »

MisterFixit wrote:
markh wrote:

Best - Mark
Yes, Mark, I make and sell this kit for anone who wants their shark to stay 'unmolested' -- undamaged from rear end damage ... I start with a set of reflectors from a parting out, do the restoration work, install all bulbs, and ship it to you. The kit is designed to be swapped in for your reflectors, plug and play. Then, I use your reflectors to make up the next kit for another shark.

It takes several days, but it is a labor of love, so to speak, and I really enjoy my work! The difference in rear end visibility is nothing short of astounding.

I am building a kit right now for Manny D. on the 'MyE28' group, and have done a few here in California (where I am temporarily stationed). I invite you to come and see the kit and witness the swap, but it's a bit of a haul from The Windy City to 'The City by the Bay'.

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=103301

It's not cheap at around $200-250, but consider the cost of a new E24 tail light lens by comparison ... not to mention possible personal injury or sheet metal work. I think of it as a safety enhancement to extend your - and your car's - life expectancy.

It's why I say 'Be Seen, and Not Hurt' to everyone who will listen. And thanks for asking!
Hey Guys, I had Andy do a conversion for my 88 six and it did make a difference. Much brighter back there, especially when I hit the brakes. He also added another light bulb in an unused socket to help with the illumination. He work has stood up thus far (2 yrs) and I have not had any problems.
FL BLK SHRK

Post by FL BLK SHRK »

That is great. Thanks for the quick reply. I plan on doing the disassembly/ sand and re-spray this weekend. As far as the wiring is concerned, I would really like to take advantage of the empty socket, so that is where I would probably need advice on how to do that. Would I be able to get the better bulbs from an auto parts store, or would you recommend I order them online somewhere?
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've worked with Andy as well!

Post by GRNSHRK »

We did this upgrade on my 6er, and while we did run into a couple of hiccups, he made good on everything, now running dual rear lights and dual brake lights on each side 8)

I did send my assemblies to him instead of attempting my own wiring, but all was plug and play, no cutting of any existing harnesses, which I would personally not opt for [-X

Andy also supplies the upgraded bulbs (he did for me, anyway...) and will price everything out for you, a la carte, as they say :-k

And if you need your reflectors refreshed, he'll do that as well :shock:

I think it's worth it, IMHO 8)

:mrgreen:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
MisterFixit

Upgrade to high output - parts source?

Post by MisterFixit »

FL BLK SHRK wrote:That is great. Thanks for the quick reply. I plan on doing the disassembly/ sand and re-spray this weekend. As far as the wiring is concerned, I would really like to take advantage of the empty socket, so that is where I would probably need advice on how to do that. Would I be able to get the better bulbs from an auto parts store, or would you recommend I order them online somewhere?
First, to johnfrazier and GRNSHRK - thanks for that good news, and for the endorsements! Extra visibility means extra safety, and the reliability is a definite plus.

FL BLK SHRK- Good luck finding these particular high output bulbs at an auto parts store, but if you do, I am sure the readers will want to know where. I have been told by someone (forget who) who tried, found bulbs with a similar number but not nickel base, not high output.

There is an online source, a guy who specializes in all kinds of high output options for BMWs, MisterFixit I think -- oh, that's right, it's me!

Send an email or pm and I'll hook you up with whatever bulbs you need, tails are 10W, 10 cp. Brake/turn/reverse are 27W, 45 cp. Tail + Brake specially modified bulbs for the dual function E24 conversion I designed, same basic data as the HO brake lights- 27/5W, 43/3 cp. PayPal, check, money order, cash, whatever you got. Would even consider a nice BBQ grill, we need one bad here. :D

Good luck with your sanding / painting this weekend, hope it turns out nicely. =D>

If you are interested in the conversion to double the number of tail and brake light bulbs, I'm happy to help, but have decided not to share the instructions for this with the world yet, since it's how I am trying to make my living. Thanks for understanding. I am happy to make you a deal, send you a set to swap out, or do the conversion on your tails, whatever works for you. Got a spare set of lights, I'll convert them, and you can swap them out yourself. If you want to do the re-silvering (restoration) yourself, you might want to put that off until we do the conversion, save yourself a bundle!

I will be happy to take pics at the local 'Wrench-Fest' I am going to Saturday 4/21, where I will be doing the swap for a friend out here. I'll be getting before/after pics, with a basic step by step in between. I'll post them here after.
Last edited by MisterFixit on Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
markh

Post by markh »

Andy - any pix from the tail light swap? Interested in seeing the process. You also mention upgrades for "front and rear". Tell us more about what you do to upgrade headlight brightness. Also if I FedEx'd you my tail light fixtures to rehab, how many days would I be down?

Thanks
cecotto479

Post by cecotto479 »

No question of the extra heat causing issues with the lenses?
ericono

Post by ericono »

> Good point on the extra heat. Any comment on that, especially from the long term users?
> Have you given any thought to LEDs since that would completely mitigate the heat issue?
> I would also like to see pics or a diagram to show which lights light up in each mode (tail, brake, turn).
> I've got the rear fogs on my Euro so how would this effect the layout?

Thanks for the good work, I completely agree that the stock, old lights are in severe need of upgrading/refreshing.

Eric
'85 M635, '00 528iT, '98 Z3
MisterFixit

sorry, no pics

Post by MisterFixit »

markh wrote:Andy - any pix from the tail light swap? Interested in seeing the process.
Sorry, I did not take pics that day. Imagine removing and installing lights in a sixer, with one extra bulb in the 'empty socket' (top outside, near the turn signal). <UPDATE> Pics later in this thread.
You also mention upgrades for "front and rear". Tell us more about what you do to upgrade headlight brightness.
For the old standard "five inch" round lights, there are three options:

First is trivial, that's sealed beams. Recycle them.

Second, halogen reflector lights- install higher output bulbs (not higher wattage) in the same reflectors. High output bulbs are now widely available for H1, H3, H4, H7, HB3/HB4, lots of other shapes, stock wattage. High wattage bulbs are usually going to toast something, and do not always make more light (lower voltage results in dimming) unless you do some serious rewiring, and if you do, ALWAYS beef up the ground wires more than you think you need to.

Third, replace the lights with better designed reflectors, like the Cibie CSR (currently NLA- if you find used, grab'em), other Cibie models, Hella Bi Focus, there may be others out there, that put more light on the road. Plus you get that 'New Headlight Smell", and you get to apply headlight film immediately to keep them perfect throughout their entire life.

HID versions are not strictly a good replacement for H1 or other older style halogen bulbs or for older halogen reflectors. Optically, some conversions are actually much worse than stock, it's not a good idea in many cases.

AND ALWAYS use headlight protection, XPel film is my personal favorite for $6 per light. I have them cut to my specs to fit the German headlights exactly, both smaller and larger sizes (E28 Euro Lows, 2002) for full protection right out to the edges. The film is tough as nails, lasts a long time with perfect clarity.
Also if I FedEx'd you my tail light fixtures to rehab, how many days would I be down?
Thanks
If there's nothing seriously wrong with the reflectors (that's all you send), under a week plus shipping. After I clean them up, restoration takes two days to do it right and allow the new surface to cure; rewiring takes only a few hours, if you want the double tail and /or brake lights - your choice.

I always recommend high output bulbs for at least tail and brake; turns and reverse are up to you.

Hope this helps. Any more questions, fire away!
Last edited by MisterFixit on Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
MisterFixit

heating question

Post by MisterFixit »

cecotto479 wrote:No question of the extra heat causing issues with the lenses?
Actually there are lots of questions, but no worries. Tails are low wattage, so no worries; brakes are higher wattage, but only installed in sections of the reflector that are designed for them, and only used intermittently (while braking).

I have seen melting after putting brake light (27W) bulbs in a tail light (5-10W) reflector socket, but that's a bad answer to a real need. E28 fives are particularly spectacular (and costly) when they fail because the whole light is one piece. If you want more light output, put in high output bulbs, not high wattage bulbs, and NEVER put a brake light bulb in the tail light socket.

The way I designed it, you get double the number of bulbs lighting to SAFELY increase the lighted area, output, and reliability, without lenses melting, fuses blowing or wire harness melting.

Thanks for asking!
Last edited by MisterFixit on Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
MisterFixit

lots of Q's

Post by MisterFixit »

ericono wrote:> Good point on the extra heat. Any comment on that, especially from the long term users?
Yes, comments typically run "No problems with melting; check panel still works; output is fantastic after the upgrades - rear light output is now awesome!!!"
> Have you given any thought to LEDs since that would completely mitigate the heat issue?
Yes, it takes cubic dollars to do this, but I am willing to make it work if you are willing to invest in the LED panels. I have a good source (made in USA), and they can't wait for me to place a larger order! Send me an email for details. My standard requirement is that I will only do it if the lights are More Visible from a Wide Angle - nothing narrow will leave my shop. And the check panel should continue to work.
> I would also like to see pics or a diagram to show which lights light up in each mode (tail, brake, turn).
I'll work on this- I am restoring a set for Manny D. from mye28 group, I need to take some new pics anyway.
> I've got the rear fogs on my Euro so how would this effect the layout?
US and Euro lights are different, I assume you know this. They added a fifth bulb for rear fogs, AND the brake light location differs from the US lights. I put a relay in the circuit, this allows rear fogs to work normally when needed, and when off, the lights double up as additional brakes. This can also accomodate a second tail on each side if desired.
Thanks for the good work, I completely agree that the stock, old lights are in severe need of upgrading/refreshing.

Eric
You are welcome, I see we agree on a lot!
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
MisterFixit

What lights up - tails, brakes

Post by MisterFixit »

ericono wrote:> I would also like to see pics or a diagram to show which lights light up in each mode (tail, brake, turn).
Eric
Eric- I found an old post showing what lights with brakes and with tails after my conversion (link takes you directly to post with pics). Light is sitting on the bench, not installed in a car, sorry.

viewtopic.php?t=11559&start=23
ericono wrote:> I've got the rear fogs on my Euro so how would this affect the layout?
Eric- does your shark have working rear fogs -- which side/s? Some cars have one in the left, some both sides. I can work with either setup, just takes a slightly different wiring scheme.

I have done several of these now, and the setup maintains both - rear fog lights function normally when switched on, and when not in use, the same bulb functions on both sides of the car as a second brake light. Relay magic, I call it. Again, plug and play, no butchering.

Best of both worlds, don't you agree? I have never talked to anyone with an Euro car that wanted his rear fog lights to not work; they are useful, and seeing more and more new cars running them, I assume that it is now legal in the US. At least they are permitted, whereas in older cars they were forbidden.

Hope this encourages you to get this high performance conversion for your shark!
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
MisterFixit

Shark lighting upgrades now ready to ship

Post by MisterFixit »

Got a bunch of E24 rear lights on the way, and some already to ship out with restored reflectors, and dual brake / dual tail light conversion.

Plug and play.

$120 a pair, plus shipping (about $15).

$99 a pair to swap your old ones for these, plus shipping.
Attachments
'Before' condition of reflectors
'Before' condition of reflectors
Before.JPG (281.59 KiB) Viewed 17029 times
'After' condition of reflectors
'After' condition of reflectors
After,small.JPG (170.05 KiB) Viewed 17029 times
Brakes 'after' modification
Brakes 'after' modification
Brakes-small.JPG (63.49 KiB) Viewed 17029 times
Tails 'after' modification
Tails 'after' modification
dbl-tails-small.JPG (69.05 KiB) Viewed 17029 times
Last edited by MisterFixit on Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
SWE635

Post by SWE635 »

Are you shipping these international as well?
What do they look like when not lit up? ...cracks and whatnot.

Thanks!
---
'89 635CSiA; Zinnoberrot
'11 VW Golf Variant TSI160; Bronze
'15 Nissan Juke; Ink Blue
MisterFixit

international shipping, appearance

Post by MisterFixit »

SWE635 wrote:Are you shipping these international as well?
What do they look like when not lit up? ...cracks and whatnot.

Thanks!
Yes, I send stuff to Taiwan, Canada, Australia, can do Sweden. Just need an address.

Appearance when dark is the same as before - no visible changes because all improvements are inside the light's reflector, and no 'cracks or whatnot' in the lens unless they were there before.

The difference is that when they light, they LIGHT. More of the lens has got a bulb behind it, and two bulbs lighting up makes more sense than one.

Tell me this - in Sweden, doesn't the car have rear fogs in the location that US cars have a brake light -- top inside corner? Not that there's anything wrong with that, and even if you do, you can still have two brake lights when the rear fogs aren't lighting. Relays, that's the trick.

Email me if you like, we can work out the details of your needs.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

What wattage bulbs are you using? I recently made a similar mod to my M6 - added 2x22W bulbs in the empty fog light spaces. Works great but just the other day blew a fuse, (#6 - 7.5A) which I am guessing was a result of the extra load.

Total load on the circuit is now 4x22W + 10W = 98W, or 8.2A, Plus there are a couple of other circuits (ABS controler, SLS, Cruse control) which probably don't add up to much but are more load on the circuit.

Have you had any issues with fuses with the upgrade?

Rob.
MisterFixit

lighting questions

Post by MisterFixit »

Antipodean wrote:What wattage bulbs are you using? I recently made a similar mod to my M6 - added 2x22W bulbs in the empty fog light spaces. Works great but just the other day blew a fuse, (#6 - 7.5A) which I am guessing was a result of the extra load.

Total load on the circuit is now 4x22W + 10W = 98W, or 8.2A, Plus there are a couple of other circuits (ABS controler, SLS, Cruse control) which probably don't add up to much but are more load on the circuit.

Have you had any issues with fuses with the upgrade?

Rob.
Rob,

Bulbs are P3497, high output bulbs - 45cp, 27W.
One customer said a fuse blew, same one I think; he went to 10A and solved it.

Another had occasional check panel false negatives, so I sent him a relay with separate power tap for lighting the added bulbs directly off of the battery (relocated in the trunk, easy to get to).

Did your M6 have sockets and wiring in the empty fog light spaces, or did you install your own? Sounds like a US car...

Also, I assume 22W means they are secondary brake lights. Did you know secondary tail lights are possible as well?

Happy to help,
Andy
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

This sounds like a great upgrade as in poor weather especially the old 6 will make itself seen.

If u are happy to ship to Australia that is
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

GazM3 wrote:This sounds like a great upgrade as in poor weather especially the old 6 will make itself seen.

If u are happy to ship to Australia that is
MisterFixit wrote: Yes, I send stuff to Taiwan, Canada, Australia, can do Sweden. Just need an address.
See above.

I do the work in your reflectors - do you have something to drive in the meanwhile, or do you need to swap them out and then send yours back for a refund of the 'core charge'?
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Antipodean

Re: lighting questions

Post by Antipodean »

MisterFixit wrote: Rob,

Bulbs are P3497, high output bulbs - 45cp, 27W.
One customer said a fuse blew, same one I think; he went to 10A and solved it.

Another had occasional check panel false negatives, so I sent him a relay with separate power tap for lighting the added bulbs directly off of the battery (relocated in the trunk, easy to get to).

Did your M6 have sockets and wiring in the empty fog light spaces, or did you install your own? Sounds like a US car...

Also, I assume 22W means they are secondary brake lights. Did you know secondary tail lights are possible as well?

Happy to help,
Andy
Thanks Andy - nope, mine is a bog-standard US model M6 and I used the "MisterCheapBastard" mod and found a couple of lamp bases at my local parts store that just press fitted into the empty spaces in the plastic tail light module. That, and some $15 rattle can chrome paint and I was good to go. Makes quite a difference to the illumination.

But given your experience I think I need to do it properly and add a relay for the additional load on the brake light circuit for the new bulbs. I am sure BMW over-engineered the wiring just as they did everything else on the car, but stil, I am a little reluctant to just up the fuse rating and hope for the best. Also I too have had some false negatives on the "check" panel. I already have a fused aux line off the battery for the after market remote locking system installed earlier, so adding a circuit for the addional break lights to this is no biggie. Thanks again for the advice.

Rob.