Whos e24 has a broken odometer? Odometer gears here!

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts for sale.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

garagistic

Post by garagistic »

GazM3 wrote:Hey there. My odometer doesn't work also.
Would love to have some gears and as stated above sending both options would be cool. Don't want to pull out instrument cluster twice.
PM sent.
AusE24

Post by AusE24 »

I ordered a set today. Thanks

Greg
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Just preserved and paid for a set.
It would b nice to get the odo working
The list of electromechanical items to repair is gettin small now.

Only the fog lights, air con, and the speed functions on the obc to go.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
M6Zealot

odometer gears

Post by M6Zealot »

Many problems that contribute to replacing the gears.

It is important to replace all the gears not just the ones that are broken.

Make sure the entire area is clean and none of the broken gears debris is still remaining.

Make sure all the gears are installed correctly, especially the small gear. and all allign correctly. There is a metal sleve that is on the small odometer gear arm that needs to be removed before installing, this could cause issues if not done correctly.

Make sure all gears move freely and test throughly to see if there are any problems.

I would add a little just a tiny amount of litium grease for smooth operation.

If all steps are adheared too, there shouldnt be any issues.

These steps helped me out when I replaced my odometer gears on my 88 M6.
AusE24

Post by AusE24 »

Fitted mine this arvo, got 500m and the Odo stopped working again! will pull apart tomorrow and see what has happened.

Greg
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Discovered this weekend that I need some gears for my 87 M6.

Just placed my order with a bigc coupon code.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
AusE24

Post by AusE24 »

AusE24 wrote:Fitted mine this arvo, got 500m and the Odo stopped working again! will pull apart tomorrow and see what has happened.

Greg
All sorted. Just a bit of the old deterioated gears had jammed the new ones.

All good now. :D
odometergears

Post by odometergears »

I just wanted to thank all my customers and friends that wrote back on this thread. I hope all the CA and surrounding area BMW owners will be at October Fest in Monterey this August. Once again we will be a major sponsor of the CCA event. Please stop by and introduce yourselves and pick up a free shirt. We will be staying at the hotel and will be at the track all week. Look for the Odometer Gear banners and the red E12.

Thanks again all.

Jeff Caplan
1981 535iT E12
www.odometergears.com
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

I've got mine in the mail a few weeks ago now. Ben too lazy to pull the cluster out. Ill let u know how I go when I do.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
Super Coop

Post by Super Coop »

M?chteWei? wrote:
photopark wrote:I have installed garagistic gears on multiple cars and never had an issue. Great product at a great price.

odometergears.com sells their gears for more then the price of gold.
In this case, you get what you pay for. Jeff was the first guy to make durable copies of these gears available for anything near a reasonable price, and he will make sure they work for you every time. He is a generous supporter of the BMW community and a good friend (Yup; I'm biased, but this is all true.).
+1 here, I got mine from odometergears.com, no muss no fuss, they were very helpful. Yep you can buy cheap but I figure I don't want to keep tearing my dash out, pay a little more and get it done right the 1st time.
SprCpe

1989 635csi # 3268410

Ostatecznym maszyny jazdy BMW
garagistic

Post by garagistic »

Got a few left in stock.
mojocoggo

Post by mojocoggo »

I've bought 4-5 sets from Garagistic for various E23, E24, E30 cars I've had, and they have worked perfectly every time. I've had them in my E24 since March and they haven't skipped a beat.
garagistic

Post by garagistic »

mojocoggo wrote:I've bought 4-5 sets from Garagistic for various E23, E24, E30 cars I've had, and they have worked perfectly every time. I've had them in my E24 since March and they haven't skipped a beat.
Thank you for the kind words. Pleases feel free to leave a review on our website under the product review tab on any of the items you have purchased. It would be greatly appreciated!
garagistic

Post by garagistic »

Got them in stock and ready to ship!
kief

Post by kief »

I bought some from Garagistic back in Jan or Feb 2014, so had them almost a year, and they still work perfectly so far. I was concerned because the teeth seemed to be spaced kinda far apart (even with the cover plate on), but it doesn't seem to be a problem yet. I was also sure to clean out the gauge really good, because there were chunks of plastic in there from the old gears.

I hope it is made clear on how to remove that brass sleeve. I woulda probably broke something if I didn't read about how to squeeze it with some pliers, to make it really loose.

Here was my concern

1984 BMW 633CSi - traded for 1979 Yamaha XS750
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

kief, you got the wrong set of gears for your odometer. Yes, they work, but they aren't supposed to be spaced like that. the correct set meshes like normal.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
kief

Post by kief »

Not true.

I made sure to count the original teeth. Made sure to count them twice, three times....

I bought the set with the same amount of teeth as mine, and made sure of it. Also made sure to compare to the originals when I bought them. I believe the only gear that was totally destroyed on mine was the small one. It was real easy for me to break the others in half.
1984 BMW 633CSi - traded for 1979 Yamaha XS750
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

I have a 1984 633, too, and the replacement gears from Garagistic meshed perfectly, nothing like the 'touching only the tips' like yours.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
garagistic

Post by garagistic »

Its best to count the gears to make sure you get the exact match of your original odometer. This will ensure there is no weird meshing issues. We also offer a "include all possible gears" option in the drop down. Hope this helps!
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

garagistic wrote:Its best to count the gears to make sure you get the exact match of your original odometer. This will ensure there is no weird meshing issues. We also offer a "include all possible gears" option in the drop down. Hope this helps!
I couldn't figure out how to get the brass sleeve off with damaging the unit like crazy. Instead, I drilled out the gear to 1/8" and then press the gear over the brass sleeve. I had to use a tiny socket head a smaller hammer to tap the gear around the sleeve. It was a major PIA, especially drilling out the gear. My fingers are raw from holding the gear and having to spin around in my fingers.

Also removing the clear cover was not a simple matter of two screws. Mine had a PC board mounted on the clear cover and I had to desolder the board (on the right in the picture below) that was connected to the clear cover! This was super annoying. I've never seen any other people mention this.

The gear meshes and spins at the other gears correctly. However at the end of the day, speedometer an odometer still do not work. :(
Attachments
This was not so easy to do. I had to drill out the gear and desolder a board.
This was not so easy to do. I had to drill out the gear and desolder a board.
Sppedo Gear.jpeg (81.25 KiB) Viewed 11525 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
jacko

Post by jacko »

Kief, could someone before you have changed them before? I've never seen a fit like that before.
Jack
Arlington, Texas. USA

1989 635csi
Automatic
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

But, look at the picture: if they're in operating position in the picture, I agree with Ken.
Aren't they suppose to be interlocked a little deeper than that? :-k
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
garagistic

Re: Whos e24 has a broken odometer? Odometer gears here!

Post by garagistic »

Tons of these still in stock.
garagistic

Post by garagistic »

Tracking numbers sent. Thanks!
garagistic

Post by garagistic »

Ton in stock with same day shipping!