SOLD: 1983 635CSi Auto, RHD*

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts for sale.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Horsetan

SOLD: 1983 635CSi Auto, RHD*

Post by Horsetan »

After 18 years of E24 ownership, I have come to the end of the road.

Many will remember my burgundy metallic car with pearl beige "comfort" leather interior (manual seats, with flowery cushions) which has now been in existence for just over 31 years. I have have owned it for precisely 18 of those years. It was given a partial body refurbishment at the end of 2002 but has not been touched bodily since, other than to replace the metric wheels with 8x17 E34 "throwing stars".

Having now been hit by a very long MoT fail list, much of which mentions corrosion in various corners of the floorpan as well as crumbly wheelarches and holes opening up on the offside of the roof skin, I am unable to afford the cost of the welding which would be necessary. It is, with some reluctance, that I now offer my poor oul car up to any existing E24 enthusiast who might derive some benefit, whether that be as a restoration project or as a source of spares.

The car is still running on its original M30B34 engine, and has covered about 201,000 miles. The auto gearbox is the original ZF 4HP22 (non-switchable). All the chrome is complete, as is the glass. The mid and rear exhaust sections are stainless steel, made by HIB Exhausts of Anglesey, and were fitted in 2007. All the important bits still work, apart from the central locking which is erratic.

All the original owner's manuals, as well as all the oul tax discs dating back to about the year 2000, are included, as well as several previous MoT certificates.

The car will come with some spares that I have inevitably accumulated over the years, including a couple of windscreens, M-Tech front and rear airdams, and a wheelarch section culled from another car, and various switches, ECUs, etc. There are also two unused TRX390 metric alloys and unused tyres with full tread.

Ye'll need a van and trailer to come and take it all away from me in North-West London, as the VED disc has now expired. The sooner ye can do this, the better.

What am I asking for all of this? £750. I suppose it's probably worth a bit more than that in parts, though I'd be sad if it were to be dismantled. We've been through a lot together, but this is now a parting of the ways.

I can be contacted on 07736 460680.
Last edited by Horsetan on Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horsetan

Post by Horsetan »

Provisionally sold to Chris Bartosiak, a.k.a "rookie" of this Forum.

Look forward to meeting ye Saturday if possible, Chris. Don't forget trailer and van.

Looks like the end of an era, then. What a ride it has been.

I will formally bid farewell to this Forum once Chris has taken my car away.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

So you won't be buying a replacement? I'll be sad to see you go!
Horsetan

Post by Horsetan »

Pod wrote:So you won't be buying a replacement? I'll be sad to see you go!
Maybe if I save up for "wattsmonkey",s burgundy '85 conversion.... Ah, no... Will never be able to afford that.

I have long admired the Citroën DS and CX. One of those will be fun, and I can justify a pack of Gauloises....
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

DS's are charming in their own way but I have always been baffled as to how they manage a mere 25mpg or so whilst being so appallingly slow.

I have known a few DS owners (and moreso than E24 owners even) they are divided up into classes of

-those with deep pockets
-genius mechanics
-dreamers.

Just make sure you are not a dreamer. This e-book (which I found by typing 'Citroen DS Nightmare' into google....) might be interesting.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=fgHd ... re&f=false

Cars that need a special spark plug spanner (with a UJ in it at exactly the right length, your socket set won't do the job...) to get them out are a bit odd. Having to remove the front wings before you can adjust the handbrake is something I would never get used to...

The CX is at best viewed as a DS in dilute form; less rust and (a bit) less weirdness.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Horsetan

Post by Horsetan »

A CX it is, then.
JohnRogers

Post by JohnRogers »

I posted this image the other day (following our visit to Silverstone). Horestan in full cry..........
Attachments
80CD017 50.jpg
80CD017 50.jpg (123.38 KiB) Viewed 34644 times
Horsetan

Post by Horsetan »

Other than a CX, the only other classic I'd go for is another NSU Ro80, with a Mazda 13B in it, just like the one I had before. Now those were fun to drive.

For now, I'll make do with the 11-yr-oul diesel Bora that gets used for work. I usually get 60 to 70mpg out of it. Did once achieve 86mpg on a run. Could do with a remap for more economy, but.
Horsetan

New owner: Mr. Chris Bartosiak

Post by Horsetan »

UPDATE: as of this evening, the car is now the property of Mr. Bartosiak, who will be giving it a home in his restoration workshop in Rotherhithe, South East London, just 18 years to the day when it came to me.

It remains for me to thank all the Forum members for the relative liveliness that they have brought to the world of the BMW E24 - without which it would just be another extravagant oul car.

I will now be on the lookout for the next idiosyncratic car: the Citroën CX.

Farewell. :wink:
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We will miss you Ivan!!!

Post by GRNSHRK »

Although you've come and gone a few times :-k

Your wit and "humor" have always been enjoyable, I hope you drop in once and a while :P

And I hope that Chris (the new owner) gets those throwing stars mounted in the correct direction #-o

Farewell [-o<

:mrgreen:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: SOLD: 1983 635CSi Auto, RHD*

Post by sharkfan »

Horsetan did indeed go down the CX route and recently posted some pics on PH of his steed;
Horsetan wrote:
Here:

Supposedly only 7 or 8 surviving non-turbo GTis currently on the road at present, and maybe no more than about 200 RHD CXs still up and about (i.e. MoT'd and taxed) in the UK.

Not helped by blatant profiteering on parts prices by CX-Basis, which has a near monopoly on the remaining stock of new spares.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)