Cibie yellow flat-faced 5 3/4" lowbeams

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts for sale.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

flipwils11

Cibie yellow flat-faced 5 3/4" lowbeams

Post by flipwils11 »

New old stock. Asking $300 plus shipping.

mojocoggo

Post by mojocoggo »

So pretty.
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

I agree but, I'm thinking they're not legal Cali?
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

These would be for French market cars yes ? You should indicate if they are for right side driving.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
flipwils11

Post by flipwils11 »

Hmm I never considered RHD vs LHD. Is there a way I can tell by looking at the units?

I bought them on ebay a long way back and have been sitting on them pending my E12's restoration. I decided I'm going to go clear instead so that's why I'm selling them.
mojocoggo

Post by mojocoggo »

GripGreg wrote:I agree but, I'm thinking they're not legal Cali?
They are as illegal as Euro headlights or lowering your car or modifying your exhaust. IE: not legal but no one cares.

You should be able to tell if they are LHD or RHD by looking at the shape of the internal cutoffs. With the lamps right-side-up, the internal cutoff will look like this for LHD:

¯¯¯¯\

So that when a bulb is inserted, the projected beam pattern looks like this:

_____/

The angle is less dramatic in real life:

If the lamps don't appear to have an internal cutoff, or it's just a full circle, then it'll use the H4 bulb cutoff which is just flat I believe, so it would work for left or right hand drive.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

mojocoggo wrote: If the lamps don't appear to have an internal cutoff, or it's just a full circle, then it'll use the H4 bulb cutoff which is just flat I believe, so it would work for left or right hand drive.
No, because the lights above have asymmetric lenses.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
MisterFixit

Cibie / Valeo lights - these are NLA CSR's

Post by MisterFixit »

You just may want to mention these are the (NLA) CSR lights, for Complex Surface Reflector. SC in France, for Surface Complexe. I have a full set of the clear ones, with headlight protection film of course. I am VERY Happy with the lights.

Arguably the best 5-3/4 inch halogen reflector lights ever made. They are a casting based on a ray diagram design program that directs virtually 100% of the light onto the roadway, no stray light anywhere.

Too bad they are yellow, nice to look at but they do lose alot of light with the glass being tinted like that. If they were clear, I'd snap them up in a heartbeat.

GLWS
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Lighting Upgrades for 2002, E3, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Headlight and Tail Light upgrades for maximum visibility. Headlight protection to keep lights intact.
flipwils11

Post by flipwils11 »

Thanks for the note about the CSR's! Yes the yellow are not as functional as clear, but still excellent lights for those that want the look.

Price lowered to $250.
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Very sexy. Be different than the bluish xenons
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

baders wrote:These would be for French market cars yes ? You should indicate if they are for right side driving.
They don't use yellow headlamps in France any more. Just dazzling white lights like everywhere else :(
Skank

Post by Skank »

Anyone know if these will fit a Euro E24/2? They look like the E24/1 type that is held in by the trim?

Thanks
MisterFixit

CSR in Euro buckets

Post by MisterFixit »

They are a sealed beam replacement design, so unless your car used sealed beams, NO.

You can tell by the three raised rectangular tabs on the back. They are not evenly spaced, and fit into three slots in the bucket at the rim to align the light in the bucket so the top is straight up.

I have a set of E24 buckets from a US car, if they will fit your car you can have them cheep.

Andy
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Lighting Upgrades for 2002, E3, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Headlight and Tail Light upgrades for maximum visibility. Headlight protection to keep lights intact.
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

How does the lighting pattern compare to the Cibie Z-Beams that I used on my Datsun 240Z?
--Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
MisterFixit

CSR versus Z-Beam output

Post by MisterFixit »

sansouci wrote:How does the lighting pattern compare to the Cibie Z-Beams that I used on my Datsun 240Z?
--Ken
Ken, they are likely very similar in principle to the Z-Beams. Here's what mine do (clear, but same lens as these):

From center to left edge, a horizontal straight line cuttoff. Dark above, nice and bright, very even from near to far field below.

From center to right edge, a straight ramp up at about 15 degrees to the right side, intersecting the horizontal at the center. The 'wedge' seems to have a 'bright spot' as you get further from centerline on the right, making it easy to read road signs on the shoulder.

Above and below at extreme angles, there seems to be no stray light at all, so you can't very well spot pigeons nesting underneath bridges and so forth. All the light is directed to where you need to see, on the road. Minimal glare above the cutoff line, and no bright spots on the pavement underneath the front bumper.

The reflector was designed with some light ray computer program that maps 50,000 discrete points on the road surface to a specific point on the reflector surface, uniquely aiming each of these points from the filament to a place where it will do the most good. They are molded out of something, maybe an epoxy resin, that achieves this particular shape, and boy do they work.

Pity they stopped production and destroyed the molds.

Oh, if you want to buy these, that 'SC Cibie' label in the middle of the light is a sticker, you can peel it off. I would consider it an invitation to a very discerning thief, since they are NLA. As I say, I have a clear set, those stickers came off right before I put the headlight protection film on them.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Roman411

Re: Cibie yellow flat-faced 5 3/4" lowbeams

Post by Roman411 »

Any chance you still have the Cibie CSR LOW BEAMS?
MisterFixit

Re: Cibie yellow flat-faced 5 3/4" lowbeams

Post by MisterFixit »

Roman411 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:44 am Any chance you still have the Cibie CSR LOW BEAMS?
Not a chance, they are sometimes found on the web but WATCH OUT for the arrow pointing to the left (to the right if you are facing the lens). These would be the UK version that blinds drivers in right side traffic / Left Hand Drive. This arrow is at the top of the lens, just under some molded numbers. Ones without an arrow are for US and other RHD countries.

I am still searching for the CSR in any option, as they are worth their weight in gold. I found some new high beams, suitable for use anywhere, but also yellow... nice if you like that sort of thing; I also found some UK lows, Clear, and not for use in the US -- they are UK with the arrow.

I have had contact with a forum member in Canada who bought the UK lows, then wanted my help to make the work in his vehicle. There are several reasons this cannot be done, even tilting the lens down on the left (rotating CCW in the bucket) is not going to make them legal for use outside of the UK. The ministries in some European countries have a contingency procedure that applies a paper mask over a specific part of the lens to eliminate this aspect of the light distribution, but its kind of Joe McGhee, a kludge, and in the US you'd probably get away with it... but not recommended.

Keep your fingers crossed, my friend. If I come up with ANY matching pair of CSR lights, in any color, high or low, suited to US traffic, I'll post it here. OR if you have a need for a killer low beam, Hella BiFocals are always available, and cheaper than CSRs!

Andy
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"