SOLD – Getrag 260 Manual Transmission

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts for sale.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

dvermeeren

SOLD – Getrag 260 Manual Transmission

Post by dvermeeren »

SOLD........The Getrag has been sold; unless someone objects I am leaving this post up since it contains a couple of useful comments by other members.
----------------------------------------
This 5 speed manual transmission comes from a local (Seattle) 1988 BMW E32, 735i (09/1987 build). I purchased the transmission in error, believing I could use this for my 1986 BMW 635Csi transmission swap; it is now a spare part?
This bell housing is integral with the transmission and does not have the Motronic sensor holes drilled out. Therefore this is for cars using the later Moronic system versions. Approximately 150K miles on the car/transmission; input, output and shift link shaft seals have been replaced. I am asking $400 + shipping

*Edit; please note as per below comments my initial identification me be incorrect...as this is from a 1988 7series this may be a Getrag 260.6 ?
Attachments
IMG_3628.JPG
IMG_3628.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 9190 times
Last edited by dvermeeren on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zinnocoupe

Re: FOR SALE – Getrag 260.03 Manual Transmission

Post by zinnocoupe »

This is the 260/6 and I believe its possible to drill out the holes and tap for bolts for the speed and reference sensors. This tranny would then work fine for your e24 unless you have your heart set on the superior and more expensive 265. From Mye28:
E28 Transmissions, an overview

Manual
G260/5
Used on 5/6/733s from '83-'84. Non removable bell housing, waffle pattern for case casting. Considered weak and cannot accommodate a M5 clutch. Sheet metal shifter support. Overdrive 5th.
G260/5
Used on '83-'88 528es, and E30 6 cylinder cars. Same model number as above, but different bell housing bolt pattern and shape, so it’s not interchangeable. Some or most or all of the internal parts may be, but with the cost of used transmissions, it’s irrelevant. Used sheet metal support thru about 86, then used the cast support. Waffle case pattern. Overdrive 5th.
G260/6
Used on '86-'88 535’s and E34 535s, but they may not have the flywheel sensor holes drilled out. Identify it by the fins on the bottom of the transmission and non-removable case. Overdrive 5th.

G265/6
Used on '82 528e and '85 535i. Also on '85 6/735, '80-'81 E12, '81-'82 6/733s and E30 M3s. Considered the strongest transmission available for E28’s. Is easily identified by a removable bell housing which allows use on M10, M20 and M30 engines, as long as the correct bell housing is used or reused. All except M3s have a sheet metal shifter support. It’s use in '85 M30 powered cars was reportedly dictated by the short life of the 260/5 in those cars. Overdrive 5th.
G280
Used on M5/M6s. Close ratio, but overdrive 5th gear.
G265/5
Never available on US spec cars, it's a close ratio 5 speed similar to the 265/6 overdrive transmission. 5th gear is 1:1. Often incorrectly called a 262 close ratio or dogleg, but a 262 is a 4 speed transmission. All 265’s I’ve seen have the front case casting with a 262xxx casting number, but they are 265s if they are 5 speeds. Removable bell housing and it does have an unusual shift pattern with 1st being off by itself and 4th/5th across from each other instead of 5th being up by itself.
Other notes: Most or all of the linkage parts seem to be model specific, the sheet metal shifter supports while they look the same, aren’t, even if from the same transmission and for the same chassis, i.e. one from a G265 from a 528e won’t work on a G265 in a 535i. I assume this is also the case for the later cast aluminum shifter supports, but I haven’t verified it myself.
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen
dvermeeren

Post by dvermeeren »

Thanks for the clarification. I did not want to deal with drilling and tapping as my tools set up is not up to speed. I found another Getrag on the board from an 87 535i which I have already installed. My swap is 99% complete other than trying to figure out what happened to my cruise control when I modified all the wiring under the dash.
SolidSnake7735

Post by SolidSnake7735 »

Hey, I'm new to the boards.

I bought my sixer a few years ago and have been building it up slowly. This forum has served to be a great resource.

Is this transmission still available and would it work on my '89 635CSi (2/89)?
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Perfect for the 89 as you do not need the bell housing sensors. Just hope the seller still has it. Good luck!!

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
SolidSnake7735

Post by SolidSnake7735 »

Ralph in Socal wrote:Perfect for the 89 as you do not need the bell housing sensors. Just hope the seller still has it. Good luck!!

Ralph
Omg yes! My AUTO transmission went out exactly two weeks ago. I had been contemplating doing a manual swap since I bought the car, since I couldn't find a Manual in my area.

But now that I NEED a transmission, I think I'll go with the full swap. It should only be a bit more expensive than rebuilding the Auto - I've been quoted $1600-2000USD for the rebuild by various shops in the NYC area.

I've spent the good part of the last two years reading up on what I would need for the swap, while also looking for a fitting gearbox to pop up. This must be a sign, it is time!

With this particular box, what would I need to make it work on my car? Here's what I'm assuming, but please feel free to add anything I'm missing or correct me if I'm wrong:

Gearbox
Shifter Linkage
Clutch+Flywheel
Drive Shaft
M/T Radiator and appropriate hoses
Clutch Master+Slave cylinders
Pedal Box Assembly? Clutch Pedal?

I think I'm missing some smaller, no-less-important parts.
dvermeeren

Post by dvermeeren »

SolidSnake7735 wrote:
Ralph in Socal wrote:Perfect for the 89 as you do not need the bell housing sensors. Just hope the seller still has it. Good luck!!

Ralph
Omg yes! My AUTO transmission went out exactly two weeks ago. I had been contemplating doing a manual swap since I bought the car, since I couldn't find a Manual in my area.

But now that I NEED a transmission, I think I'll go with the full swap. It should only be a bit more expensive than rebuilding the Auto - I've been quoted $1600-2000USD for the rebuild by various shops in the NYC area.

I've spent the good part of the last two years reading up on what I would need for the swap, while also looking for a fitting gearbox to pop up. This must be a sign, it is time!

With this particular box, what would I need to make it work on my car? Here's what I'm assuming, but please feel free to add anything I'm missing or correct me if I'm wrong:

Gearbox
Shifter Linkage
Clutch+Flywheel
Drive Shaft

In the process of my 1986 swap which I just finished and is working great I searched the various bmw boards to build up my knowledge on the process; quite a bit of data is available. The data file I created includes a list of parts needed for my swap. I used the RealOem website and my vehicle VIN# to identify what my car with the manual would look like. It ended up being pretty accurate.
If you are interested in my data I am happy to email that to you; send me a PM via this board and I will email you the file.
BTW, in above list my manual transmission does not have a radiator for cooling. The radiator and hoses for the auto are thrown out. You have pretty much the bigger components. All included my swap cost me around $1200 in parts plus my labor.
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Sounds like a match made in BC heaven.

Missing the pilot bearing in your list. It's great that all seals have already been replaced as well but I would run the trans as is for a week then change the oil after installation.

Let me know if you need any of the other parts as I have multiples of most of them. And if the seller can provide a measurement for the DS length I may have the correct unit. Thanks

Ralph
Last edited by Ralph in Socal on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
SolidSnake7735

Post by SolidSnake7735 »

dvermeeren wrote:
SolidSnake7735 wrote:

Ralph

Gearbox
Shifter Linkage
Clutch+Flywheel
Drive Shaft

In the process of my 1986 swap which I just finished and is working great I searched the various bmw boards to build up my knowledge on the process; quite a bit of data is available. The data file I created includes a list of parts needed for my swap. I used the RealOem website and my vehicle VIN# to identify what my car with the manual would look like. It ended up being pretty accurate.
If you are interested in my data I am happy to email that to you; send me a PM via this board and I will email you the file.
BTW, in above list my manual transmission does not have a radiator for cooling. The radiator and hoses for the auto are thrown out. You have pretty much the bigger components. All included my swap cost me around $1200 in parts plus my labor.
Yeah, I know the deal with the radiator. On the A/T it runs runs tranny fluid lines through it but not in the M/T.

What happens with the external oil cooler, that can stay yes?

I'll PM you, as in definitely interested in any info I can make use of.
Ralph in Socal wrote:Sounds like a match made in BC heaven.

Missing the pilot bearing in your list. It's great that all seals have already been replaced as well but I would run the trans as is for a week then change the oil/filter after installation.

Let me know if you need any of the other parts as I have multiples of most of them. And if the seller can provide a measurement for the DS length I may have the correct unit. Thanks

Ralph
Thank you so much! I'll most definitely be reaching out to you for those hard-to-find parts.

I've read somewhere that the Getrag 260 and 265 may use different length bolts as well, I'd want to know if I'll need these.

There's another mount, I don't remember the name of the part and it's purpose eludes me right now.

But I know in some cars it came as sheet metal and in later models it was a casting.

Can you recall which part this may be?
dvermeeren

Post by dvermeeren »

SolidSnake7735 wrote:
dvermeeren wrote:
SolidSnake7735 wrote:

Gearbox
Shifter Linkage
Clutch+Flywheel
Drive Shaft

Yeah, I know the deal with the radiator. On the A/T it runs runs tranny fluid lines through it but not in the M/T.

What happens with the external oil cooler, that can stay yes?

I'll PM you, as in definitely interested in any info I can make use of.
Ralph in Socal wrote:Sounds like a match made in BC heaven.

Missing the pilot bearing in your list. It's great that all seals have already been replaced as well but I would run the trans as is for a week then change the oil/filter after installation.

Ralph
Thank you so much! I'll most definitely be reaching out to you for those hard-to-find parts.

I've read somewhere that the Getrag 260 and 265 may use different length bolts as well, I'd want to know if I'll need these.

There's another mount, I don't remember the name of the part and it's purpose eludes me right now.

But I know in some cars it came as sheet metal and in later models it was a casting.

Can you recall which part this may be?
Not sure which external oil cooler you refer to as on my 1986 the only cooler is for the transmission fluid. The are two hoses/tubing that run from the auto to the radiator passenger side. These two openings are plugged (mine are still open) and the hoses are removed entirely. As noted earlier I deferred to the RealOem website for the part numbers then used these to search for the parts used on the manual versions. Supplier websites (like Pelican Parts) recognize these bmw part numbers readily.
I found the major parts for my swap on the BMW member websites; there are numerous people with spare parts in their garage; suggest you post a WTB.
In my swap I used the aluminum shifter link with a Z short shifter, the rear tab was already in the tunnel.
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: FOR SALE – Getrag 260.? Manual Transmission

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Seller is correct about the trans oil cooler going to the radiator. Just leave it in place with the hoses removed. Maybe plug the holes with caps to make it look clean. Your car may have an aftermarket trans cooler that is external to the radiator unit. That will also go away if you have one. If you are speaking of the engine oil cooler (I don't think your car came with one standard) then that would not be disturbed at all.

The aluminum/sheetmetal question you posed applies to the shift tower. That holds the shifter in place. Sheet metal pieces were used until 85 then the 86 MY changed to the Aluminum tower and 260/6 trans. The aluminum unit is preferred by some and is correct for your car. Good Luck

Ralph

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
SolidSnake7735

Post by SolidSnake7735 »

Ralph in Socal wrote:Seller is correct about the trans oil cooler going to the radiator. Just leave it in place with the hoses removed. Maybe plug the holes with caps to make it look clean. Your car may have an aftermarket trans cooler that is external to the radiator unit. That will also go away if you have one. If you are speaking of the engine oil cooler (I don't think your car came with one standard) then that would not be disturbed at all.

The aluminum/sheetmetal question you posed applies to the shift tower. That holds the shifter in place. Sheet metal pieces were used until 85 then the 86 MY changed to the Aluminum tower and 260/6 trans. The aluminum unit is preferred by some and is correct for your car. Good Luck

Ralph
IMG-20161029-WA0001 (2).jpg
IMG-20161029-WA0001 (2).jpg (178.27 KiB) Viewed 8849 times
Here's a pic of the oil cooler im talking about its in front of the coolant reservoir tank on the driver's side.

My only other concern regarding this swap is wiring.

I'm assuming I'll have to source the harness and 'brain' from an M/T car to replace the A/T wiring and computer on mine. Is that a correct assessment?
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

That's the Power Steering/Hydraulic System Reservoir. That is filled with Pentosin or ATF for the Power Steering and Power Braking Systems. You will not need to disturb that system.

I've yet to do a swap on an 88/89 car so I'm not that familiar with the Motronic 1.3 system. It is the preferred fuel management as it is much improved over the original Motronic used from 83 to 87. Please research here and mye28 for more information.

Looks like you need a new coolant tank as well.

Ralph

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Webblybear

Post by Webblybear »

Ill send a pm but I seriously need this trans! my email is rhinowebb@gmail thanks!!
henryc

Post by henryc »

SolidSnake - Here's a link to the E24 Factory Workshop manual. If you are not aware- a great resource for any 6 Series owner!
I agree with Ralph - that coolant tank has seen better days. That fusebox cover looks like it has a large crack as well-
Good luck with your project!
/ HenryC

https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/631en/index.htm
Currently in the garage:
86 635 CSi
91 850i
91 325i Cabrio
74 MGB/GT
74 Alfa Romeo Spider
08 S2000
06 Volvo V70 T5
02 MB CL600