1985 635csi, Black/black, Manual Swap (NorCal - Grass Valley)

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts for sale.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

didjeffects

1985 635csi, Black/black, Manual Swap (NorCal - Grass Valley)

Post by didjeffects »

Short Version:

1985 BMW 635csi, Black/Black, Automatic converted to 5spd Manual, Recaro Sport Seats, BBS wheels, Bilstein Shocks, Conforti Chip, ZR-S body kit, 107k, Great overall condition w some cosmetic wear, $7000

https://imgur.com/gallery/9jIPx3L

EDIT: The condenser fan has failed (ie no a/c)! $160 part, while I'm tempted to throw a new one in and keep the price the same, I know that if I keep the car I'll go for an a/c upgrade instead, so I've adjusted my asking price down $500 and will leave it as-is. If this scares you off this otherwise well-sorted and awesome car, good, I'm holding out for a buyer that understands what it means to take on a 35yo classic. Not just anyone get's a shark!

Long Version:

I’ve owned this car since 2013 (about 30k miles ago), when I found it sitting in a garage in Colorado. It was in great shape but hadn’t been driven for two years, so it required a little rehabilitation. I turned it into my daily driver and it’s been my favorite BMW after two 80’s 5s and a 7 before it, it’s a true executive cruiser, smooth and precise.

Before Colorado the car had been in California, where a previous owner did the auto-to-manual conversion, added Recaro Sport Seats, BBS wheels, a 4-piece, ZR-S fiberglass body kit, HID headlights, and a Conforti chip. They also upgraded the stereo and refreshed the paint.

I’ve kept up w regular maintenance, and taken the car through the expected 30-year-BMW issues (ie brake booster rebuild) and have all receipts from my ownership, but not prior. Only performance upgrade I’ve done is to add Bilstein shocks.

Cosmetic wear: The paint refresh was not the best, leading to many small areas of cracking. It looks great going down the road, and it’s hard to show in pictures, but many small finish flaws can be seen standing close. Problem is more evident over the fiberglass body kit, where some filler was used to smooth the connection lines of the kit. The plastic lens for the rear-driver-side brake light is cracked, and one of the 4 headlight casings has been hit by something and lost some plastic. Inside, the steering wheel is good but has a worn texture over the top. The Recaro Sport Seats have minor wear, more on the drivers side where you might expect, this is how they came to me and I’ve treated the leather regularly since. The dash (covered) has the usual cracks. The plastic covers of the rear-seat Euro headrests (rare option) are warped from the sun, and will need to be reshaped.

Mechanical wear: All major systems are in great shape. Engine, transmission, clutch all great. Most recent work: replaced control arm bushings up front, and repaired a resistor in the A/C system (blower wasn't coming on, all sorted and happy till the condenser fan failed). Steering is BMW-precise but there is a little play in the wheel at center. A/C blows cold, not ice cold, didn’t do that in 1985, either (note EDIT above!). Heater blows hot. The rear-passenger-side window motor has failed and is disconnected. The variable-resistor part of the light switch (controls brightness of the gauges) has grown finicky (have replacement part).

Car located in Grass Valley, will schedule showings in Sacramento and the Bay Area. Will deliver purchased vehicle from 95945 for $1.50/mile (yes I'll happily take a long last drive in this car, even w/o a/c, where do you want me to go?).
85 635csi