M635CSi #388 for sale

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts for sale.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Bobo W

M635CSi #388 for sale

Post by Bobo W »

So I've decided to sell my M635CSi, full details of which can be found on the Collecting Cars website (www.collectingcars.com) - as descriptions go on auction sites I think it's one of the fullest so nothing really to add here and on top of that there are 200+ pictures - the car is running really well and in good condition and only let down by its bodywork which is starting to show signs of age in all the usual places - front wings, sunroof and base of rear screen. However if you do have any specific questions then please drop me a line.

I've never sold at auction before so this will be an interesting experience. There is a reserve which I don't think is unrealistic, so we'll just have to see what the appetite is there is in the market for it, all of which is very difficult to read at the moment. Hopefully all will be revealed in a weeks time or so providing we meet that reserve :D
Steve
1987 M635CSi #388
mirdif64

Re: M635CSi #388 for sale

Post by mirdif64 »

Steve,
When does it go live ?
The ''CC'' auction looks similar to ''The Market'', except on there, the seller pays the premium.
Still, for both parties the charges are a lot less than traditional auctions.
Good luck with the sale.
Steve.
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

is it this one? https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/198 ... 24-m635csi

was the timing chain/guides replaced or inspected?

(Feb 2011 - Roy Alexander - Inspection 2, Timing Chain, Exhaust - 111,355)
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
Bobo W

Post by Bobo W »

@brickwhite - Don't think there's any confusion - It says quite clearly in the main body text that it was replaced (below picture of speedo) - the moral of the tale is not to skim read :D

@mirdif64 - yes it's gone live - best offer of £100 is a tad short of the reserve but lets see how we get on - thankfully it's not being sold because I have to sell, it was more a spur of the moment thing

The online auction place has defintiely seen alot of traction recently in these Covid times no doubt also helped with the fiascos around traditional auction houses like Coys. Collecting Cars had a novel marketing strategy aligning itself to the very successful podcast with Chris Harris and the quality and volume of throughput would suggest they're doing something right. "The Market" model doesn't work for me as for the most part, as a Seller, you expect prices to be lower than a private sale, so why would you want to pay commission on an already lower cost? I guess they would say it attracts more buyers and therefore you achieve a higher price, so swings and roundabouts.
Steve
1987 M635CSi #388
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

You think everything person that skims the auctions is going to see it? You don’t mention guides, just the chain.
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Interesting post. I've never heard of this auction site before. And you're located just down the road from me!
Good luck with the auction - I will be following it :wink:
Bobo W

Post by Bobo W »

Sold £24k - with buyers premium £25,440

I was happy with price achieved as was buyer so win / win.

New owner used to have M635CSi but in unusual colour (brown) and regretted selling it so has been on the lookout for another one ever since. I hope that the new owner enjoys the car as much as i did. Who knows he may even come on here.

I don't normally keep my cars for such a short period of time but after 4 years it time to say goodbye and thanks
Steve
1987 M635CSi #388
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Since this was a well-described vehicle I think the price achieved was indicative of what they should fetch in the UK. I wonder if it would have been more if one of the major classic car auction houses was used?