Introducing Crystal

Pics...we want PICS!!!

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

FL BLK SHRK

Post by FL BLK SHRK »

[quote="Ed Lyerly"]Thanks Dan :D
While the seat has been out it gave me a good opportunity to deep clean the driver's side carpet. It didn't look very dirty but the rinse water let me know that it was time well spent :o

Man... Look at how clean that interior is! =D> That looks cleaner than my living room...
Ed Lyerly

Post by Ed Lyerly »

FL BLK SHRK wrote:
Ed Lyerly wrote: Man... Look at how clean that interior is! =D> That looks cleaner than my living room...
Thank you ! Having a great starting point is 90% of the end result :D

Wheel whore ..... waiting on his gas struts for the seat, so can't go for a ride on an unusual 60 degree F winter day :( . What to do ??? Here is a teaser for you :D

By r_e_l at 2012-01-31
---------------------
1985 M635 #1998 (gone but not forgotten)
1994 850CSi (also gone but not forgotten)
1985 M635 #589
The Wolf

Post by The Wolf »

Oh. my. goodness.

MOAR!
ph33rX

Post by ph33rX »

Wow, that looks pretty swish actually!
Ed Lyerly

New "Old Skool" shoes on Crystal

Post by Ed Lyerly »

The downtime while waiting for the gas struts to arrive for the refinished driver's seat has provided an opportunity to see how some different wheels look on Crystal. While Nat Arnold was doing the mechanical resuscitation in 2010 and 2011 I picked up several sets of wheels that I thought would look good on Crystal. The plan was to fit them and do an evaluation to decide which ones to go with long term. We fitted a set of staggered 17" Alpinas just in time for the Southeast Sharkfest last year .... and these stayed on for the rest of the year. However, some blistering around the valve stems led me to remove these wheels for refinishing. This gave me a chance to fit a set of Hartge 17x8.5 et13 wheels which are shown in previous posts.
I have now fitted a set of customized RH Topline wheels. The specs are 17x8.5 et 10 front and 17x10 et17 rear. I really like the "Old Skool" look, but I'm interested in your input on these.

By r_e_l at 2012-02-02

By r_e_l at 2012-02-02

By r_e_l at 2012-02-02

By r_e_l at 2012-02-02

By r_e_l at 2012-02-02
Last edited by Ed Lyerly on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------
1985 M635 #589
markh

Post by markh »

Because Crystal is such a beautiful 6er, she'd look great shod in almost anything. The Toplines are the most unique and unusual, but I think the Alpina's get my vote as "best of the bunch". Your pride shows Ed. Congratulations!
1988 ///M Zinno/Lotus 70K miles
madridcab

Post by madridcab »

To me the RH looks 5 years too modern for the Euro M, my vote would also go with the Alpinas..
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

It's a magnificent car Ed, I really like the attention to detail you're putting in and the interior looks as good as anything I've seen. Those interior shots from November - it looks brand new.

Personally, I don't like those wheels as much as your previous styles. Maybe that's the reason, having seen it looking so good with the Alpinas and the Hartges on, these wheels looks a bit too 'slammed muscle car' by comparison. Just my opinion though. The vintage caps are a great touch.

Did you find out anything more about that clear 3M window tint you mentioned earlier?

Regards,
Ellis.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

I love the other wheels as those make it look like a BMW 635 trying to be a Mercedes 500SEC.
Ed Lyerly

Thanks guys for your honest feedback

Post by Ed Lyerly »

These RH Toplines are not getting the love that I had hoped for. I don't know why, but I think they look pretty good ..... just not as good as Alpinas. I think it may be the wide lips that I like, or perhaps the fact that I have always liked the look of AMG wheels on a Benz.
I think I would like the Hartge wheels better if I had a 3 piece set, as these have more of a lip on them.
Anyway, thanks for your kind words about Crystal. I'll pull these off and see how the type 1 AC Schnitzer wheels look (17x8.5 et13 square set).

Ellis, I've dropped the ball on the 3M window tint project. I will try to get some research done before summer gets here. The idea of a clear or very, very lightly tinted glass that would provide a cooling effect and UV protection for the interior is VERY interesting to me. I really want to see that 3M film on a car before I take the leap.
---------------------
1985 M635 #589
FL BLK SHRK

Post by FL BLK SHRK »

I think they look really good on there. They are different, yet IMHO, they "fit" the car. I can certainly see why you may get some polarized opinions, though. Maybe not the pureists choice. But I like 'em!
The Wolf

Post by The Wolf »

I dig the wheels a LOT, but I may be a little younger than the rest of the crowd. (at least that's how it seemed at Sharkfest...)
I think it would look even better if the car was lower.
I looked for information on the motorsport centercaps you have, but can't find anything. Was hoping to do something like that on a set of wheels coming my way... PM me?
Ed Lyerly

Post by Ed Lyerly »

Thanks guys !! Looks like I'm not the only one who likes this look after all :D

Agreed, car would look better with these wheels if it was lowered a bit ..... maybe 1".

The wheel centers were made with cloisonne emblems from CatcusJack1
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=88740

Ed
---------------------
1985 M635 #589
Ed Lyerly

Crystal with ACS wheels

Post by Ed Lyerly »

Today I installed a set of AC Schnitzer wheels on Crystal. These are 17x8.5 et13 all around. At 1st look .... I believe I like these a little better than the RH Toplines. We will see how I like them after looking at them for a few days.
So far, I would rate the wheels I have tried like this:
#1 = staggered Alpinas, #2 = AC Schnitzer, #3 = Hartge, #4 = RH Topline.

By r_e_l at 2012-02-21

By r_e_l at 2012-02-21

By r_e_l at 2012-02-21

By r_e_l at 2012-02-21

By r_e_l at 2012-02-21
Last edited by Ed Lyerly on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------
1985 M635 #589
Roku35

Post by Roku35 »

Ed! Looks like you change wheels almost as often as you change underwear :roll: Haha, just joking because I'm jealous of all your sets of wheels. No secret, I love the Alpinas and I have said before, if I were to someday obtain a M635csi as sweet as your Crystal, I would definitely go the ACS route. I just think the three piece - mad and agressive ACS style-looks will match the tamed growl of the M88 engine. GGGrrrrrrr... :mrgreen: JMHO.

Find a sweet E28 and throw those Hartge wheels on and you will be home :D
1985 Euro 635CSi CR 5-Spd (Schwartz/Anthracite Buffalo)
1985 Euro 635CSi CR 5-Spd (Polaris/Schwartz)
1985 Euro 628CSi (Zobelbraun/Nutria Buffalo) ...Rehomed
2002 540iT Sport 5-Spd (Schwartz/Schwartz)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaiisharkfest/sets
Ed Lyerly

Post by Ed Lyerly »

Hi Carl,
Sorry ..... I can't help myself. I'm a wheel whore, and I'm bored waiting on spring :oops:
The Hartge wheels are sold (by coincidence to an E28 owner) :D
I have a staggered set of Borbet type A's that I want to try next :mrgreen:
Stay tuned.
---------------------
1985 M635 #589
5280 M6

Post by 5280 M6 »

I like the look of ACS's with the BMW roundel center - it seems to add some visual interest to the wheel. As others have said, however, Crystal could be wearing a set of black winter steelies and still be drop dead gorgeous =D>

Jim

'88 M6
'85 M535i
'84 911 Carrera
'12 Audi S5 (Daily)
Ed Lyerly

Post by Ed Lyerly »

Hi Jim,
Thank you for your compliment :mrgreen: That BMW center cap does look nice on the ACS wheel ...... I might also consider one like this:

By r_e_l at 2012-02-21
---------------------
1985 M635 #589
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Looking great :) :P
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
e24mpwr

Post by e24mpwr »

Ed - you slay me! How many sets of wheels do you have??

Are the Alpinas getting refinished?? They are still easily my favorites, though I liked the Hartge's and the AC Schnitzers ('course, I'm a 5-spoke guy...)

Crystal looks great! I need to get Cosmo on the road again and get out and run!
Ed Lyerly

Post by Ed Lyerly »

Hi Lee,
Thank you for your post. Just so you know, you have been my inspiration on this 2 year journey of M635 acquisition and refurbishment. I will always appreciate your very valuable advice when I was in the acquisition mode ..... and again when you recommended Nat Arnold of Atlantic Euro, LLC for Crystal's resuscitation. And ...... it was your magic "Gloss Haus" touch that brought Crystal's 27 year old paint paint back to life =D> . I'm so very grateful for your efforts !!
Your advice has been invaluable ...... and always "right on the money". When I look at changes or improvements to Crystal ....... your Cosmo is always my measuring post =D>
On the wheel issue, it is you that was responsible for hooking me up with that set of staggered Alpinas :D Meanwhile I had 15 months waiting for Nat to do his magic. The interior leather refurb and looking at more wheels was all that I really could contribute.
I really believe I will end up with the Alpinas as the final choice on Crystal .... however, I still have a set of staggered Borbet A's and a set of Racing Dynamics 17x8.5's to look at.
Also ....... it is your fault that I'm a "wheel whore" :D

PS ..... Hope we can "convoy" to SESF 10 together.
---------------------
1985 M635 #589
DunDun

Post by DunDun »

Ed Lyerly wrote:Hi Lee,
Thank you for your post. Just so you know, you have been my inspiration on this 2 year journey of M635 acquisition and refurbishment. I will always appreciate your very valuable advice when I was in the acquisition mode ..... and again when you recommended Nat Arnold of Atlantic Euro, LLC for Crystal's resuscitation. And ...... it was your magic "Gloss Haus" touch that brought Crystal's 27 year old paint paint back to life =D> . I'm so very grateful for your efforts !!
Your advice has been invaluable ...... and always "right on the money". When I look at changes or improvements to Crystal ....... your Cosmo is always my measuring post =D>
On the wheel issue, it was you that was responsible for hooking me up with that set of staggered Alpinas :D Meanwhile I had 15 months waiting for Nat to do his magic. The interior leather refurb and looking at more wheels was all that I really could contribute.
I really believe I will end up with the Alpinas as the final choice on Crystal .... however, I still have a set of staggered Borbet A's and a set of Racing Dynamics 17x8.5's to look at.
Also ....... it is your fault that I'm a "wheel whore" :D

PS ..... Hope we can "convoy" to SESF 10 together.
Ed: Very gentlemenly of you to pay homage. Reflecting "Crystal" i'd say all the advice was well worth it.

Lee: Whom ever you - are nice work! =D>
Ed Lyerly

Post by Ed Lyerly »

Here is a shot of Lee's M635 "Cosmo". Cosmo is sitting in front of the BMW Zentrum in Greer, SC. The Zentrum is the welcome center which is right next to the BMW manufacturing plant which employs several thousand SC employees.
The 2010 Sharkfest was held here :D

By r_e_l at 2012-02-23

Here is a shot of Lee standing next to Cosmo (center left - blue shirt) and at center right is Nat Arnold (black shirt) and son Hayden next to his red 5 speed 635. From 2010 Sharkfest:

By r_e_l at 2012-02-23

People like Lee and Nat are just an invaluable resource to 6er enthusiasts here in the Southeast and have been a big part of the SESF throughout it's 9 year history =D>
---------------------
1985 M635 #589
DunDun

Post by DunDun »

Ed Lyerly wrote:Here is a shot of Lee's M635 "Cosmo". Cosmo is sitting in front of the BMW Zentrum in Greer, SC. The Zentrum is the welcome center which is right next to the BMW manufacturing plant which employs several thousand SC employees.
The 2010 Sharkfest was held here :D

By r_e_l at 2012-02-23

Here is a shot of Lee standing next to Cosmo (center left - blue shirt) and at center right is Nat Arnold (black shirt) and son Hayden next to his red 5 speed 635. From 2010 Sharkfest:

By r_e_l at 2012-02-23

People like Lee and Nat are just an invaluable resource to 6er enthusiasts here in the Southeast and have been a big part of the SESF throughout it's 9 year history =D>
Both examples are to die for! Lee's look awesome in the second pic (him beside), looks like a darker shade of grey. Thanks for sharing. BTW, you know how I feel about Crystal (nothing to sneeze at) :P
Ed Lyerly

Post by Ed Lyerly »

Lee's car is a rare color named Cosmos Blue Metallic. The interesting thing about it is that photos never seem to show it the same color as your eyes do when you see it in person. Photos seem to be light grey, light green, or light blue. In person it is a beautiful light blue metallic. It is also a very rare car as it is an '86 model ..... the last year with euro bumpers, and euro spec motor. Only a couple hundred of these were made. Then add to that the Frank Fahey 4.0 liter stroker motor, custom exhaust .....and ..... did I mention it is an all original and immaculate car with appx 70K.
Maybe with a little prodding we can get Lee to do a posting in this forum with some good photos and more ownership details.
---------------------
1985 M635 #589