recent track day event...

Pics...we want PICS!!!

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

ericono

recent track day event...

Post by ericono »

Thought you'd like to see a few shots from a recent track day event. I had my car, '85 M635 (#63), there and my buddy had his as well, '85 635 (#30), so e24s had some representation. It was mostly newer BMWs, BMWCCA local event, and was alot of fun.

As you'll see I had plenty of body roll action going on so it looked like I was going fast even if I wasn't. It never felt dangerous or anything, but I am curious what I can do to help my situation out.

To date I have not touched my suspension so I can't say I was surprised. The current setup is Bilsteins all around with Eibach springs (already installed when I got the car ~7 years ago) with a slightly nose down rake to it and Euro M spec sway bars. I don't have any sort of strut bracing front or rear.

Anyway, enjoy the pics:

'85 M635, '00 528iT, '98 Z3
dick635

Post by dick635 »

Nice.
Dick
88 M6
91 850 - modified
13 Volkswagen R -daily driver

ANY engine will fit into ANY car if dropped from a sufficient height and the landing is cushioned with sufficient money.
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Eric, great pics!

Wait what? You LIVE in Spartenburg? Home of BMW America? Sheeeeitfire, that must be rough, huh? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm betting your query about how to set up your 6er for the track, will elicit much debate.

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
Ireland stainless exhaust
Upper & lower control arms
New tie rod kit
dividedbydrew

Post by dividedbydrew »

We had a great time! My car even passed 200,000 miles during our lunch break. What a way to celebrate :D

Here are a few pictures of my car...you know the red one :oops: I mean the one with big bumpers :wink:
Attachments
DSC_4215.jpg
DSC_4215.jpg (98.61 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
DSC_4197.jpg
DSC_4197.jpg (99.29 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
DSC_4187.jpg
DSC_4187.jpg (83.85 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
IMG_20120610_121444.jpg
IMG_20120610_121444.jpg (53.39 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
Ed Lyerly

Post by Ed Lyerly »

Eric and Elliott,

Thanks for the great shots. It looks and reads like you both had a blast.
I hope to see both of you at the Euro Auto Festival at the Zentrum n October 20th =D>
---------------------
1985 M635 #1998 (gone but not forgotten)
1994 850CSi (also gone but not forgotten)
1985 M635 #589
ericono

Post by ericono »

Thanks for the kind replies. Yes, we did have a blast. Didn't take it too serious and tried to make sure we got our cars home in one piece at the end of the day.

Ed, I think we should be at Euro this year, I know I will, and I'll bring my 6er this year. I can't wait to see yours again for inspiration on what I hope mine will look like one day (except different colors of course).

Being close to the BMW facility is nice (that's where the Eurofest mentioned above is BTW). Their museum is certainly fun to see as they rotate some of the stock from time to time. And being close to be able to easily partake of track events their is certainly a bonus.

As you can tell by the 2 sets of pictures we were at one end of the track so most photos are of the long sweeper at the end, but the other end of the track was a blast. They had set up a reverse corkscrew such that when you exit you have to turn right which was alot of fun. The entire track was somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 miles.

I am hoping some will chime in about what I can do better set up my car, keeping in mind I drive it regularly on the road so I know I am looking at a compromise.

Oh yeah, I get to say I was in the car with Drew when he rolled over to 200,000 (the odometer, not the car). He had a full load of 4 guys traveling Continental style on the highway. I was in the back seat and can say I was still able to walk after the ride.

Thanks again,

Eric
'85 M635, '00 528iT, '98 Z3
dividedbydrew

Post by dividedbydrew »

Ed Lyerly wrote:I hope to see both of you at the Euro Auto Festival at the Zentrum n October 20th =D>
I hold out hope I can finally bring my 6er this year. As you can see, she is finally back on all 4 and running strong. Unfortunately the car is relocating to New Jersey for the time being since I'm losing my garage down here in South Carolina. Alas. Alack.