Moose attack

Pics...we want PICS!!!

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Martin S

Moose attack

Post by Martin S »

Took these pics last spring when a moose family came to visit our house.
They seemed to like the 635, but I was a bit nervous needless to say..

One of the moose kids actually smelled the rubber boot spoiler, and I was afraid he would bite a chunk out of it ;)
Attachments
DSC08904sm.jpg
DSC08904sm.jpg (189.6 KiB) Viewed 8190 times
DSC08902sm.jpg
DSC08902sm.jpg (174.89 KiB) Viewed 8190 times
markh

Post by markh »

priceless! =D>
1988 ///M Zinno/Lotus 70K miles
clipper47

Post by clipper47 »

Those moose look to be in fantastic shape for being in the spring. Moose in my area usually look pretty beaten up after a winter from mange, tick bites, lack of food and being chased by timber wolves. Great photos! Thanks for posting
Dave
challenger

Post by challenger »

Great captures! I would have been nervous about the car, too :oops:
88 635 CSiA Euro
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Wow! Those things are HUGE!

The car looks so small beside them.
dick635

Post by dick635 »

Actually, they look a bit young. A bull with full antlers is an imposing sight if you get past the face only a mother could love. In the spring they like to lick the salt residue from the sides of roads and highways. Hitting one at speed will total the car as it comes through the car. Kind of hard on the people in the car too.
Thats what good brakes are for.
Dick
88 M6
91 850 - modified
13 Volkswagen R -daily driver

ANY engine will fit into ANY car if dropped from a sufficient height and the landing is cushioned with sufficient money.
clipper47

Post by clipper47 »

dick635 wrote:Hitting one at speed will total the car as it comes through the car. Kind of hard on the people in the car too.
Thats what good brakes are for.
Dick
Like this......
Attachments
!cid_64646174451A471581A8F84EE2D25F0D@yourw04gtxld67.jpg
[email protected] (64.93 KiB) Viewed 7916 times
Dave

Post by dick635 »

Exactly! Interesting bit of trivia: If you hit and kill a deer, moose or whatever you cannot legally take the meat. Anyone else can help themselves. I assume this is to discourage people from hunting with their vehicles - a common problem in political circles!??? Who thinks this stuff up?

Dick

P.S. I was early on the scene years ago after a Ford Pinto with three guys inside hit an adult moose after midnight. Pinto was almost unrecognizable. All survived initially but with serious injuries. Moose died at the scene when Mounties administered a dose of high-velocity lead poisoning. The hide and and meat were gone by first light. Moose tastes very much like beef.
88 M6
91 850 - modified

ANY engine will fit into ANY car if dropped from a sufficient height and the landing is cushioned with sufficient money.
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

They have a very unfortunate anatomy where the cars impact zone only hits the legs, ad the rest of the moose comes in through the windshield and ends up in your lap.
I read somewhere this can actually be quite dangerous if the moose survives the crash and starts kicking around inside the car.

Probably it was one of the animals in the picture that was hit by a car near our house this autumn.
Forunatley only minor damage to the car.
We have the same rules in sweden. If you hit one, I think the animal belongs to whoever owns the hunting rights for the land beside the road.
clipper47

Post by clipper47 »

As a former and now retired game warden (Conservation Officer) I used to be the one who had to attend at these unfortunate animal/vehicle collisions. For many years the animal was considered to belong to the "Crown" and we C.O.'s would pick the animals up and donate them to charity. With budget cuts it was decided that the animal could be claimed by the person who hit it with their vehicle or if not anyone who came upon the accident scene could take it provided they reported it to the local Natural Resources office for a free permit. Policy may have changed since my retirement.
Dave

Post by dick635 »

My experience was in British Columbia in the 70's. Unless you've been retired over 40 years I bow to your expertise.

Trivia: World-wide the animal that kills the most humans is the tse-tse fly which carries malaria etc. In North America the number one killer is the white tail deer.

Just full of generally useless information,
Dick
88 M6
91 850 - modified

Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

At the risk of veering even more off-topic, that insect would be the mosquito.

There is nothing that transmits more infectious disease to other organisms. This is truly one species that we could do without.
2I6es

Post by 2I6es »

Martin S wrote:I read somewhere this can actually be quite dangerous if the moose survives the crash and starts kicking around inside the car.
Between 1983 and 1998 I worked as an Ambulance Officer / Paramedic here in the Northern Territory. I've attended accidents where car has hit wild camel, car has hit brumby (wild horse) but the worst was car V's feral donkey, which was trapped half way through the windscreen and did more damage with it's hooves inside to the passengers than was caused by the initial impact.

Cheers Vinny
$DO || ! $DO : try
try: command not found

02 XR6 (m) 5sp (OD) 1701 D - "ENTERPRISE"

Long time lover of all hot I6's - BMW 635, Ford XR6 and the mighty Chrysler E49 six pack Charger
dick635

Post by dick635 »

Sprocket,
Mosquito.. of course! What was I thinking?
Dick
88 M6
91 850 - modified

mikko

Post by mikko »

I hit a deer couple years back with my van (Mercedes Sprinter). The deer survived the crash but was left seriously injured. I dialed the Finnish emergency and asked what to do. They replied that the police are coming. I waited for half an hour, the deer being still alive, no sign of cops. Well, as I am a contractor, I had a Hilti powder bolt gun in the van so I reloaded that with 70 mm nails and with the most efficient powder and shot the deer between the eyes. Then I waited for an other half an hour and drove home, the van wasn't very badly damaged.

The police then called me around an hour later telling that they are here at scene. I told them what I had done, knowing it was illegal, but knowing I had done the right thing. According to the Finnish law I should have waited for the police to come and put that poor deer out of its misery.