M635 - 11th Anniversary

Pics...we want PICS!!!

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Anfa

M635 - 11th Anniversary

Post by Anfa »

Hi everyone,
Just returned from one of the first runs after winter in my M635-85. Wow – what a great car to drive! Started to look in the car’s documentation and realize today is my 11th anniversary with it! Time flies!

Bought the car in April 2006. Had really intended buying another M635 (an -88 with 260hp kat) but was too slow on pulling the trigger. “My” car had been advertised for quite some time and I was not really interested. It was newly imported to Sweden and was fresh from the paint shop. My worry was a quick refurb of a tatty car to make some money. As there were probably less than 50 M635’s in Sweden I decided to have a look at the car.

I was very wrong in all my assumptions – car was looking great and very honest, with some nice looking patina in places. Bought it right away. 11 years later it is still in great shape and with absolutely no disappointments based on that refresh 2005/2006.

The spec was exactly what I wanted with a (working) AC and buffalo interior. Over the years I have added an original Becker Mexico and a set of period staggered Alpina wheels (rare version with the small lip, and converted to open lug for more classical looks).

A few years back I bought a Porsche 996 Turbo and was thinking of selling the M635. It was hardly driven for a couple of years and I had some issues with a sized brake caliper. Also it had developed a couple of bubbles at the front of the rear wheel arches making me think there was much more rust to be found. At this point the car was cheap…

Decided to use this winter to fix the rust and to do a really “full service”. The bubbles required minimal welding (2x3cm) and everything was solid inside. Did the big service and fixed those small irritating things/detailing (brake judder, low speed fan resistor,interior light, gaps in toolbox, original flash light, original brochure set, …). The work transformed the car – will never sell it! It is actually perceived relatively slow compared to the P996, but it drives superb and the sound above 4000rpm is like a race car. A guy contacted me last week to try to buy the car – bad timing :D

Car is not perfect, but it was good enough for detailed pictures in a Swedish car magazine in 2012. The author commented it felt "like new" with some nice patina, despite it's 228000km. Not being perfect and already having mileage means I can use it without too much worries. My 16 year old son is just starting to learn to drive, and he already loves driving the M635 (just have to wait 2 years for his license...)

I’ve been a member of the forum since 2006 (even though I for some reason had to re-join in 2016). Thanks everyone for great and interesting posts. And for keeping a good tone!
Regards
Anders
Attachments
BMW-1.jpg
BMW-1.jpg (241.68 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
BMW-2.jpg
BMW-2.jpg (249.2 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
BMW-3.jpg
BMW-3.jpg (206.19 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
BMW-4.jpg
BMW-4.jpg (246.71 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: M635 - 11th Anniversary

Post by baders »

That looks like a lovely car Anders. A credit to your persistence and an encouragement to others (such as myself).
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
ozbmwnut

Post by ozbmwnut »

Exquisit..

May i make the comment though, if i were you i would invest some time on the leather, and get some high quality conditioner into it.
3/1986 Complianced, Aust delivered E24. Bronzit with Pearl Beige.
Garage buddies: E9 3.0 csi Polaris Silver, blue leather ; E34 M5 Alpine White, Black extended leather ; E39 M5 Carbon Black, Caramel Heritage Leather.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Very nice indeed. Whenever I see open lug Alpinas it makes me think I should really sort mine out to fit when the TRXs are worn.

What's the car's colour?
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Good stuff Anders, the car looks stunning.

Congrats on 11 years - you've done a great job keeping it looking and running well over all that time - don't let it go now. Image
Anfa

Post by Anfa »

ozbmwnut wrote:Exquisit..

May i make the comment though, if i were you i would invest some time on the leather, and get some high quality conditioner into it.
Well spotted - driver seat not yet treated with leather conditioner for the season. Did the rest of the interior last weekend but was keen on driving so decided to do driver seat later.
Paul Humpage wrote:Very nice indeed. Whenever I see open lug Alpinas it makes me think I should really sort mine out to fit when the TRXs are worn.

What's the car's colour?
Car is dolphin grey with Anthacit buffalo interior.

Today we had great weather. Took the car for a drive and came back with a smile on my face.
Anders