My new acquisition, 1989 Highline

Pics...we want PICS!!!

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

UKDaveJ

My new acquisition, 1989 Highline

Post by UKDaveJ »

This is the second 6 to grace my drive & I already know that my wife won't let me have any more :oops: .......! For now at least :roll:

The picture is not taken on my driveway, but sharkfans'.

The F reg now occupies the spot on my drive where the A reg did in my signature pic, whilst the A reg lives it up in the garage....at the moment!
No more clues need to be given as to its origin then.....!

The car has an LSD, cruise, aircon, rear window blind, not to mention those lovely alloys which really suit it. Lots of history, as well as new parts.

I'm a happy bunny. My A reg chrome bumper 6 is going to be fighting to retain its current garage position....., might have to send it into the bodyshop sooner than I planned!

Might have to swap them over regularly when they're both here.

Very smooth driver, most impressed. Struggled to keep the car below the naughty zone on the motorway home!!

Thanks Kevin, you are a star :) . Love that M635 by the way!

Dave 8)
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Down to two.....

Post by sharkfan »

Dave,

The Highline needed a good and caring home, and with the two 6'ers I have it was a lacking some love and attention - hope it suits your drive. Plus, I can't post any pics of mine 'til somone shows me how ??

Sharkfan
UKDaveJ

Re: Down to two.....

Post by UKDaveJ »

sharkfan wrote:Dave,

The Highline needed a good and caring home, and with the two 6'ers I have it was a lacking some love and attention - hope it suits your drive. Plus, I can't post any pics of mine 'til somone shows me how ??

Sharkfan
No problems! What you need is a website to upload your pictures to.
If you type in to google etc 'free photo website' or similar, you'll get some websites that you can join (usually free for up to 50mb) & upload to.

I've got a couple. The first being www.tripod.lycos.co.uk.
The second being www.photosite.co.uk/com (from memory)

Basically once you've uploaded your pics, you can then right click over the picture you want, select properties, highlight the full url of the picture & copy it.

Then on a forum like this, click the img 'button', paste your url link, then click the img* 'button'.

You should then have your picture(s) for the world to see.

Just make sure that if there is an option on your free website to 'allow public access', make sure its ticked, otherwise you'll be able to see your pictures but no-one else will.

Been interesting looking through the history, the car has had at least two private plates, so F256 OTA is about its' fourth or fifth change of registration. Fooled me at first.

Cheers,

Dave 8)
bcadmin

Re: My new acquisition, 1989 Highline

Post by bcadmin »

UKDaveJ wrote: Image
8) Love then Style 5's! 8)
UKDaveJ

Glad you like it!

Post by UKDaveJ »

I didn't know they were called style 5's. All I know is that they were fitted to the 8 series, some of them anyway.

Dave 8)
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Just remember that you took the F-plater home because Andrea said you could.

Otherwise, a marriage guidance counsellor might have been needed..... :lol:
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

horsetan wrote:Just remember that you took the F-plater home because Andrea said you could.

Otherwise, a marriage guidance counsellor might have been needed..... :lol:
She told you then.... :oops: :roll:

Dave 8)
UKDaveJ

More pics of my 'new' 635

Post by UKDaveJ »

As requested, more pics of my new acquisition.

Pics courtesy of sharkfan, his setting is far better than mine!

Dave 8)
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Let's put this way, Dave. "sharkfan" has a bigger driveway than you have :lol:
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

horsetan wrote:Let's put this way, Dave. "sharkfan" has a bigger driveway than you have :lol:
Ahem, you are missing 'it'.... :roll:
Some people.... :wink:

D 8)
sohlman

Post by sohlman »

Very nice car mate. The colour scheme of black with white leather and those wheels is about as good as the Highline can get. Nice purchase.
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The '89 Highline....

Post by sharkfan »

Dave,

I'm starting to really miss it :(

Hope you get on top of it and give it the good home it needed.

BTW, the Blue 635 wouldn't start this morning :shock: probably missing it's buddy.

My wife has vetoed any new purchases till the new year :roll:

Roll on 2005 :twisted:
UKDaveJ

High praise indeed.

Post by UKDaveJ »

Sohlman wrote:Very nice car mate. The colour scheme of black with white leather and those wheels is about as good as the Highline can get. Nice purchase.
Thanks James, my thoughts exactly re the colour combo etc.

Had a good poke around underneath tonight & she seems nicely solid.

D 8)
horsetan

Re: The '89 Highline....

Post by horsetan »

sharkfan wrote:...My wife has vetoed any new purchases till the new year :roll:
Funny, that... so has Dave's.....

Can't think why :lol:

*kof!*

We have got to do something about that n/s/f foglight....
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

That nsf foglight works man, what more do you want....!!

You'll get me in wife trouble if I'm seem to start changing bits straight away, there is an order in what I'm going to do, the foglight is some way down...! Tell you what, you post one, I'll fit it.... :shock: :wink:

Am hoping to get it taxed tomorrow, Wednesday at the latest. I'm intending to have a blast over to Mallory Park to meet up with the Leicestershire lot, just hope the bloody cover note turns up in the post before then, else its not going to happen. Its not worth getting a tax-tug :evil:

Kevin, I can understand you missing it, a great car, but then again you've got that wonderful chrome-bumpered M635csi. In your shoes I'd be celebrating being back in your wifes' good books. :wink: :)

The blue one is showing signs of 'am I next.....?' syndrome.
Go give it a pat, take it for a good spin then it will know it is still loved as much as the M or the Griffith. The latter is the car my wife wanted to drive home in, make no mistake!! Ever since we both drove the Tuscan S, we've both set our hearts on one (each....), but wouldn't expect the straight six in that to last as long as that of a BMW's....

Can anyone tell me how to lift those rear speaker pods? :oops:
They don't seem to hinge like the ones on 'green6'? :roll:

Dave 8)
Mikemcc

Power seat controls

Post by Mikemcc »

Did they move the power seat controls from the console to the seat for 1989 or are those aftermarket seats? I was also wondering what the two black squares are in the knee boster under the steering wheel? Is your steering wheel adjustable?

So much looks different than my 88 but that could be the Euro difference as well.

Mike
UKDaveJ

Re: Power seat controls

Post by UKDaveJ »

Mikemcc wrote:Did they move the power seat controls from the console to the seat for 1989 or are those aftermarket seats? I was also wondering what the two black squares are in the knee boster under the steering wheel? Is your steering wheel adjustable?

So much looks different than my 88 but that could be the Euro difference as well.

Mike
These are BMW sports seats.
The one on the left is the window's circuit breaker, the one on the right is for headlight adjustment.
Yes, the steering wheel/column is adjustable.

Dave 8)
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

Nice one Dave!

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mikemcc

Post by Mikemcc »

Okay so please excuse the dumb Canadian living in America but . . . Adjustable headlights? How cool is that? Can that be put onto my 88? Also I would love to have an adjustable steering column, do you have an airbag on that car? Some day I hope my car will look as good as yours.

Thanks

Mike
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

Mikemcc wrote:Okay so please excuse the dumb Canadian living in America but . . . Adjustable headlights? How cool is that? Can that be put onto my 88? Also I would love to have an adjustable steering column, do you have an airbag on that car? Some day I hope my car will look as good as yours.

Thanks

Mike
Not dumb Mike, a good question that frankly I cannot answer.
Adjustable headlights refers to their angle. Mine don't work & most that have them don't. Not too fussed really!
The steering column adjust for reach, not rake, if that makes sense.

Dave 8)
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

UKDaveJ wrote:...Can anyone tell me how to lift those rear speaker pods? :oops:
I already e-mailed you on the day you collected the car to say that the Highline rear pods don't lift like the earlier cars. They are fixed.
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

horsetan wrote:
UKDaveJ wrote:...Can anyone tell me how to lift those rear speaker pods? :oops:
I already e-mailed you on the day you collected the car to say that the Highline rear pods don't lift like the earlier cars. They are fixed.
Did you?......... :roll: :oops:

Mind you I don't use the pod storage space on my 84 car. :?

Dave 8)
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

UKDaveJ wrote:...Did you?......... :roll: :oops:
Yes.
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

horsetan wrote:
UKDaveJ wrote:...Did you?......... :roll: :oops:
Yes.
LMAO!! :lol: :lol:

Well, the pods came up in the end, then were followed by 6 x 9's!

Dave :lol:
UKDaveJ

Headlight adjustment, 1989 Highline - help!

Post by UKDaveJ »

My Highline has headlights that have an interior switch to adjust their height, however it seems that in common with many other owners, the white plastic tubes that allow this system to work are broken, rendering the remote adjustment useless.

I have two related questions;

1) Has anyone successfully repaired/replaced these brittle plastic tubes?
If so did you use oem tube or an aftermarket alternative?
How does/should the adjustment system actually work..... :? :? :roll:

2) Can one manually adjust the headlight height? Mine seem much lower on the Highline than on my 84 chrome bumper euro car, yet the highline has (in theory) the superior ellipsoid lights which don't actually seem to provide any more light - at present!

Both my 6'ers need to pass a government 'roadworthyness' test (called an MOT) next month, so being able to adjust the height of the lights on the highline may be required to ensure it doesn't fail in this tested area!

Cheers,

Dave 8)