Dutch: '83 manual 635; added sunny autumn-day pics

Pics...we want PICS!!!

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Dutch

Dutch: '83 manual 635; added sunny autumn-day pics

Post by Dutch »

Hi Bigcoupe members,

I have been reading along on the forum for quite a while and have gathered a lot of information, I figured it's about time to join the forum and post some pictures.

We reside in The Netherlands, where it never rains and its always sunny :wink: :wink: :wink: (but not as much the United Kingdom, haha)

Map: http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&hl=nl&ge ... 943848&z=8
Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands

This is my projectcar and not a daily driver. The odometer reads 234.xxx km, today.

It is a 1983 635Csi in the colour Bronzit-Beige, has a 5-speed manual gearbox and has almost no factory options except for the headlight washers. The seats were comfort seats but I have replaced them with 1983 Recaro's. Replaced that with a leather interior.
More specs include:
- BBS Mahle 16*7 (front) and 16*8 (rear) rims (as pictured)
- Original Bavaria C III radio (added to the car in 1986 or 1987, will have to look at the receipt)
- OBC with all the functions

work thats been done:
2008-10-21: Today I replaced the windscreenwiper motor with a 1984 replacement. Works fine again!
2008-12: windscreenfluid reservoir problem has been fixed
2009-02-22: fixed the OBC
2009-04-14: adjusted the windscreenwipers to their normal position.
2009-08-08: bought a beige leather interior from a 1986 vehicle.
2009-08-18: sold the original TRX wheels and tyres
2009-09-06: finished builing in the leather interior, last parts were the doorpanels.
2009-09-06: adjusted the sagging doors
2009-09-06: repaired the passengerdoor central locking system
2009-09-25: replaced the coil

work that needs to be done:
* the econometer stopped working properly, the needle in moving completely at random
* the OBC keeps losing power and the 4 dots blink after each time I start the car
* I guess that the SI-board batteries are fooked and need fixing

I'll update once in a while. (last update: tuesday 20 october 2009)

regards,

Dutch

2009-02-22: OBC-problem viewtopic.php?t=8333&highlight=
2009-04-03: Spotted whilst driving viewtopic.php?t=8656&highlight=
2009-04-16: Some pictures in the springtime viewtopic.php?t=8738/viewtopic.php?t=8333[/url]
Last edited by Dutch on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 18 times in total.
dick635

Post by dick635 »

Welcome. Nice car. In the Netherlands it must be a challenge to park such a relatively large car. If my cousin's garage (~Gouda)is normal, openning the doors could be a challenge too.

Dick
88 M6
91 850 - modified
13 Volkswagen R -daily driver

ANY engine will fit into ANY car if dropped from a sufficient height and the landing is cushioned with sufficient money.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

dick635 wrote:Welcome. Nice car. In the Netherlands it must be a challenge to park such a relatively large car. If my cousin's garage (~Gouda)is normal, openning the doors could be a challenge too.

Dick
Hi Dick,

thanks for the compliment, the 6 is a pretty wide car compared to the average european vehicle, and the long doors don't make it any easier to get out in a narrow parking lot. My own garage is not much of a problem as it's 4.8 metres wide (almost 16 foot).

cheers,

Dutch
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Some work has been done on the car:

* all 4 jackmount surroundings have been welded,
* windscreen washer system is fixed,
* found a detachable towbar and put it on the car,
* replaced the exhaust (all 3 mufflers) with an exhaust that was on a car for some 100's of kilometers,
* cleaned the exhaust tips to a nice shine,
* bought an M-style steering wheel (needs to be put in),
* changed all engine and brake fluids

as always more work needs to be done, when time allows it.

cheers,

Dutch

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Had to let the M-Style steeringwheel idea go as it doesn't fit...

shame.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

I missed this post first time around :oops:

Welcome to the forum.

What we need is more photos, lots more photos. I'm a big fan of those Mahle wheels.

Regards
Paul
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Paul Humpage wrote:I missed this post first time around :oops:

Welcome to the forum.

What we need is more photos, lots more photos. I'm a big fan of those Mahle wheels.

Regards
Paul
Thanks, I will post pictures in due time, and also pics of the BBS Mahle wheels :)
Dutch

Battery was dead: needed a new one...

Post by Dutch »

I tried starting the car the other day, nothing happened. I recently fixed the bootlight (and I filmed it with my camera as I had no-one to get in the trunk) and the bootlight turned off when the lid was closed. I then read that the gloveboxlight could be the culprit. So I charged the battery and checked some more. The multimeter told me I had 4.83 volts left in the battery, no alternaterlight was on so the battery did receive a charging but just couldn't keep hold of it.

out with the old:

specs:

my new battery has slightly better cold-start capabilities in comparison to the old one:

and placed in the car:

I suppose it's money well spent... I can get in the car with confidence and crank it.
(edit: fixed broken links)

cheers!
Last edited by Dutch on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRJTGRMN_E24

Post by PRJTGRMN_E24 »

excellent choice with your battery!

i work with Interstate Batteries here in the US -- Varta is one of our battery companies through Johnson Controls (our partner). that should give you many years of starting power! :D
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

PRJTGRMN_E24 wrote:excellent choice with your battery!

i work with Interstate Batteries here in the US -- Varta is one of our battery companies through Johnson Controls (our partner). that should give you many years of starting power! :D
I suppose you never experience starting problems with your cars... Always good and fresh batteries... Here in The Netherlands the worst cold is behind us now, I think even though my car sleeps in the garage under my house the battery still died on me due to age and temperature... In the garage the temperatures don't drop below freezing point. (0 deg celcius / 32 deg Fahrenheit)

One thing that I did learn is to keep jumpcables in the car... very useful as nearly no-one carries them around... just to be sure...
BacknBlack

Post by BacknBlack »

Can you get your hands on a trickle charger.... plugs directly into cigar lighter. I bought mine rite at the BMW parts counter... have not purchased a battery for my car in 6yrs.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

BacknBlack wrote:Can you get your hands on a trickle charger.... plugs directly into cigar lighter. I bought mine rite at the BMW parts counter... have not purchased a battery for my car in 6yrs.
I can, but I won't. Why, you ask? This battery was probably already more than 10 years old. Batteries just have a limited lifespan and then it needs to be replaced. As I drive my car every other few weeks (maximum interval times) I don't think the new Varta battery will drain in a period that short.

However, I do have a Waeco battery charger... and a spare 105Ah traction battery just to be sure (in case one of our other cars need a jumpstart).

Dutch

New Interior and holiday

Post by Dutch »

Last week I picked up a really nice beige coloured leather interior which I popped into the car. Pics!
I still have to replace the doorcards with the new beige ones (located in my garage), I will combine that with adjusting the sagging doors... The hinges have some play so hopefully I can raise the door by shortening the distance of the door towards the body at the top hinge a little bit. Otherwise another solution will have to be found (do you have any tips, let me know!)

Out with the old:

In with the new:

Then my wife and me went to Houffalize in Belgium to to some holidaying (mountainbiking).

This nightshot was done with the lens open for 60 seconds as it was pitchblack on the campground.

I am looking for some parts, see the 'parts wanted' http://www.bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9830 section.
Dutch

Finishing the doorpanels

Post by Dutch »

Today I built in the doorpanels that belong to the interior I bought 3 weeks ago, I also fixed a problem with the passengerdoor central locking; it had 2 problems: the metal pin from the motor was not attached, 2; the wiring was unattached. I also readjusted the sagging doors by jacking the doors up while the top hinges were loosened up.

pictures:
left door

right door

rust from the mirrortriangle (ouch)

unfortunately this interior came with some speakers which I do not intend using, will have to reupholster the doorcards

My stereo: a Bavaria C III

with a cassette in the player

my oldskool I-pod

Will have to inform at the stealers or an upholsterer if I can buy new doorcard material to get rid of the speaker holes. Anyone has tips? Let me know!
PRJTGRMN_E24

Post by PRJTGRMN_E24 »

great progress! leather is great, but i'd kill for those cloth seats here in the states -- one for the rare factor, two since they're in far better shape than my leather comfort seats by miles!

beautiful car, great project :D
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

one for the record...

Dutch

Building a PDA-mount

Post by Dutch »

Yesterday I set out to construct myself a mount and powersupply for my Sony Ericcson Xperia X1 navi-phone. When driving along and the phone is loosely placed on the dash it falls off with light cornering (reason 1) and when using the navigation system the battery of the phone is dead in 2 or 2 1/2 hours (reason 2).
I have an old computercase collecting dust (I already used some of its steel to build some parts for my home-server) and thought that this could be a good base to start out with.

The steel base is inserted above and below the left air-vent and can be taken out without leaving a trace. It is securely held in place by the two flaps and a piece of dualsided tape.

Pictures:
This is how the finished product looks like.

The picture from Brodit itself:

How it got to be like this:
Take a sidepanel from a medium tower pc-case and saw a strip off.

Bend the 5 cm (2") wide metal strip according to a cardboard mock-up:

Testfitting:

Shorten the top and bottom end so that the phone can be inserted without that the A-pillar is in the way.

Measurements for anyone who would like a go too:

Drill some holes in the metal base for the plastic bracket and the USB-cable

Testmount the bracket and phone prior to painting it

Paint:

Then make a powersupply coming from the accessoiry electric box from below the left side of the dashboard

The needed parts:

A little soldering:

The finished powersupply for the cigarette-lighter powered USB-cable

Put the plastic mount on the steel base with 4 * stainless steel M5 Allen bolts

Place the phoneholder and fiddle the USB cable from under the dash to above

And voila:

My phone is not going anywhere anymore!

Cost:
Brodit active phone holder ? 49,95
Cigarette lighter (female) ? 2,15
50 cm electric wire ? leftover, therefore free
2 cable-ends ? normal stock, so long paid for

Labour:
4 hours of my spare time ? free
Dutch

Pictures on a sunny autumn day

Post by Dutch »

As it is an exceptionally nice day today I took the car out to take some pictures and post them here. Pictures have been distorted on the licenceplate area by Photobucket's distortion "pinch" tool with the distortion set to maximum. Pictures are shot (as all of my pics) with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX3 point-n-shoot camera. The thing I like best about this camera is that it is really small and fits into a pocket.
I am not a professional photographer but that seems obvious by looking at my pictures :P :P

Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hello Dutch

Post by Ralph in Socal »

I don't think anyone here cares that you're not a professional photog. The car is very nice and seems you did pick a beautiful day for a ride in a beautiful car. Keep it up.

Ralph

What's that big green thing growing out of the trunk in the second to last pic? Just kidding!!
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Dutch

Re: Dutch: '83 manual 635; added sunny autumn-day pics

Post by Dutch »

It has been a while but this winter my car will be restored and repainted. I gained two childeren in the meantime and did not find much time for my car. Tomorrow it should have a new APK (or MOT or whatever it is called in the US) so I can be streetlegal again. Then first I will use as a daily driver this summer to get some miles on the odometer, I don't even know how much is on there now, I think somewhere round 243.500 km. So only 9.000 more than 8 years ago...
1982 BMW 628CSi
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

I went to my friend Jan who lives in the city of Oldenburg, Germany this weekend. Besides driving the E24 we went flying in a small airplane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjKfZXbWZUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElFXclvkFUQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75etkgoueM8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnyRvACtHrI
1982 BMW 628CSi
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Today I went to the Sharknose meeting in Boxmeer, The Netherlands, pics and film here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=27089
1982 BMW 628CSi