'12 Audi S5 (Daily)
kos

Post by kos »

thank you very much guys

here a couple more pics

and used it to take a friend to his wedding

World-Class6

Post by World-Class6 »

what a nice looking vehicle! All the work and dedication you've put into it shows. You should do a proffesional photo shoot and then share with all. 8)
85 M635 Schwarz (Found a new home in L.A.)
95 MBZ E36 AMG Coupe widebody Polar White
88 BMW E28 535is White
2000 Jaguar XJR Anthracite
2016 GMC Sierra Double Cab SLT- All Terrain Black
-------------------------------------------------------
orval2

Post by orval2 »

Woaw shining car
kos

Post by kos »

thanks guys :o

a mate did a drawing for me today

///Moe

Post by ///Moe »

Nice drawing! :P
E24 635CSiA 85' (garage queen)
E24 628CSiA 83' (turbo/manual?)
E23 745i 82' (turbo project)
E23 728i 86' (745i project)
E23 728i 79' (part's car) [x]
E28 525i 81' (part's car) [x]
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

The car is Orsome. I like the look it's just abit different to the usual bbs RS. But a similar theme.

Do like the drawing also.
I'm afraid my Artistic talent is more drawing plans.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Mine is not as wild!!

They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Freshbread

Post by Freshbread »

I must admit I'm not much of a red car lover but holy smokes! The wheels just set the car off perfectly=D>
Well done.
kos wrote:thank you very much guys

here a couple more pics

and used it to take a friend to his wedding

1984 745i, 2014 Fiesta ST
kos

Post by kos »

jesus, its been a while since this was updated and since i used the car !

it last time out on the road was was when i last posted this ! the car had a few issues that came to light so i just threw it in the garage and didn't really do much

three issues needed attending

1- brakes still binding
2- low oil pressure on idle when warm
3- overcooling when cruising down the motorway, and getting warm in traffic

the brakes was narrowed down to 2 things, either sticking linkage to sticking master cylinder. everything else had been changed
it only tended to happen when the stuck in traffic, hot engine bay, stop start all the time. maybe they are interlinked ??

low oil pressure, well i changed the oil press switch for an OEM one so this meant taking the sump off to investigate

overcooling/overheating - well water flow was good, the rad is good so lets consider the thermostat and viscous

first was to pull the sump off and change the oil pump. new one ordered from the dealers and while it was off i decided to change the big end shells. It was a no brainer to do this as its sad job getting the sump off.
At the same time i had the front crossmember blasted, the steering box mounting bracket reinforced and powder coated in the original satin black finish. Also while working on the front end i changed the NS arch liner (its metal one). I had anew one which i purchased a couple of years ago but it was in grey powered coat so again i did it in black. no rattle can jobs here !

so, heres some photos go what we were looking at....

shells out and now time to match them up

not to much wear really

the crossmember

new oil pump (dealer only) £350 8O

shells were matched up and supplied by middlesex rebore for OEM ones but substantially less

new ATE master cylinder from ECP

new brake fluid reservoir from the dealers which came in the old style packaging which was nice to see

i also got my self a new header tank and screen wash reservoir wight he correct OEM white cap, not the new style ones. i bought the last 4 in stock, sole one on ebay for £55 but I'm keeping the other 3

but then we noticed this

drip drip drip

we have a head gasket breach 8O and shit got real. time to spend some money !!

head off and can you spot where the breach is

the rest were fine but the head has some serious corrosion going on.

water pipe off the back of the head

the cylinder bores were good though. prior tot he head coming off we ran a compression check and all was good bar cylinder 6.

corrosion was bad, but it can be repaired but at a price. then i had a call from pacer who let me know that Mr everett had a good m30 head, no corrosion and with a good cam and rockers. there was nothing wrong with my cam and rockers but it makes sense to have good spares. he wanted £150 which was going to be cheaper than welding up my one

head turned up and it had the exhaust manifold attached which was handy as mine had a small crack. i could have just refaced the head but i decided as i was this far in to send it to middlesex rebore and get it overhauled. 12 new valve guides, valved lapped in and refaced along with a pressure test

this is how it came back

this is the same section of the old head

side by side

cam gear was re fitted using the best of the parts in the original head and used head. there was no wear on any them to be fair and now i have good OEM spares

so, we are almost ready to reassemble it now but nor before more peado action
everything that needed blasting or powder coating was sent away to have the work done. i did consider having he exhaust manifold sent away for creamic coating but at over £300 they can fuck off. i had it blasted an a phosphor coating applied. it should be alright for a few years as long as i maintain it.

the inlet managed to develop a crack as well where it mounts to the head. alloy became pours and a leaky injector fucked it but the looks of it. Pacer came to the rescue with another inlet for me and injectors were sent away for overhauling

heres the bits i took away for blasting and powder coating. the inlet and some other parts were vapour blasted

and heres how they came back and compare to the originals

zinc plated PAS reservoir lid

water pipe off the back of the head and timing case cover

love a bit of vapour blasting

[URL=http://s20.photobucket.com/user/kosbm/m ... 3.jpg.html]ImageImage[/URL]

airbox, fuel rail, main pulley AFM bracket and a few other assorted parts

some i had spares of so i had them done in OEM silver and others in black, i'll try them both and see which i prefer

random parts from the dealer

so, its all went back together add a new water pump, viscous, thermostat (along with blasting the housing) various new sensors, new plugs and all the fluids and filters have been changed and we fired her up. she fired up on the button

its been at my fried work shop since early may and it was nice to hear her fire up. this was early last week. everything was check, looked for any leaks etc and we took her for a gentle run. once up to temp she held temp fine and we got her back tot he work shop to adjust the tappets. when we got back, the PAS started to grumble. we bled it again and it cleared up. good. come thursday morning it was going to go for alignment and the PAS grumble came back !
no one had a PAS pump bar KMS and they had to get it in from germany and it would arrive after gaydon ! i was all set to have her ready for gaydon and this happened. i was a touch pissed off but these things happen. i could have got o e from the dealers but at over £300 i wasn't going to, not for the sake of one day and one show.

so, thats were we are.

once the pumps on, its off for alignment and and then i'll get some more photos up of the peado'd engine bay :D
ericono

Post by ericono »

That is one awesome looking example of an e24. Glad to see she's in such good hands. The wheels look great and I really like the finish of your trunk mounted audio components. More pics please.

Hope you are able to get everything back together soon.

Eric
'85 M635, '00 528iT, '98 Z3
kos

Post by kos »

ericono wrote:That is one awesome looking example of an e24. Glad to see she's in such good hands. The wheels look great and I really like the finish of your trunk mounted audio components. More pics please.

Hope you are able to get everything back together soon.

Eric
Thank you Eric

The car is back together, just waiting on the PAS pump

Wheels have had a change as well. I was never quite convinced by the black wheel inserts, so I've gone for full silver centres now.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

Nice work there! Rotten luck that your HG failed like that but who knows, that could have saved a lot more trouble in the long run.

The PAS grumble could be an air leak into the pump (e.g. on the feed hose) or a clogged filter in the reservoir housing. I guess you'll find out when you fit the new pump.

BTW is it an optical illusion or has the replacement head got slightly smaller valves than the one that was on there before?

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kos

Post by kos »

RE valves, optical illusion. It came off an M535i, cast numbers are the same and we checked the valves sizes. We thought the same thing

As for the PAS, yep that's what we thought as well. Bled it a few times but there's no air getting in. Well there's no bubbles in the resorvoir

Spent a few hours yesterday cleaning up in and around the engine bay yesterday. I'll be getting some photos after we fit the new PAS pump

It's not quite as nice as Rons, but I don't have as much spare time :lol:
kos

Post by kos »

so, i got a new PAS pump from KMS fro £135, fitted it it all seemed good then the steering goes heavy intermittently

double and triple checked everything and we are now of the opinion that they supplied the wrong pump. whats going on is that its not producing enough power. my car came with a 110bar pump, e24's had either 100, 110 or 130bar pumps depending on the year and what steering box they had.

not impressed and the fuck up is that no one else has one. my options are limited to either rebuild mine or pay £315 for one front he dealers

also, i need a new heater valve, that will be another £120 quid as well, dealer only part

so, the last couple of days I've been cleaning the car up. lots of marks and swirls have appeared. the paint on the bonnet has micro blistering so it needed attention. started with the rotary and just cracked on with it and attacked it with a medium cut compound. once all the machine work was down the car was wiped dow with IPA and i applied a nano sealant. i was considering polishing and waxing but the sealant is far more durable and i plan on using the car as much as possible and the sealant offer far superior protection.

all the windows ad glass were also treated to a sealant and so have the wheels

ive cracked on withe the engine bay as well. the vapour blasted parts have been protected and a few other clips and screws etc been replaced. there still a bit more to do to get it as good as Rons, but so far I'm happy

anyway, more photos

original dealer reproduction tax disc holder and number plates are on as well thank to a member over on e30 zone

so, until the other bits are done and the wheels are on, thats it

before i left the work shop tonight i thought i'd take one more photo, makes a nice desk top back round

ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

kos wrote:.....there still a bit more to do to get it as good as Rons, but so far I'm happy.
I reckon it's better Kos. Mine is showing 6/7 years of use and could really do with some serious detailing.

I noticed the labels on the bonnet were looking distinctly used!

Have you used this guy before? He does some brilliant repro. labels etc.

http://www.pukardesigns.com/
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

kos wrote:
also, i need a new heater valve, that will be another £120 quid as well, dealer only part
See "Pod" on this forum.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271582441513? ... 26_rdc%3D1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-STOCK-BMW ... 3f3b932c20
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
kos

Post by kos »

ron wrote:
kos wrote:.....there still a bit more to do to get it as good as Rons, but so far I'm happy.
I reckon it's better Kos. Mine is showing 6/7 years of use and could really do with some serious detailing.

I noticed the labels on the bonnet were looking distinctly used!

Have you used this guy before? He does some brilliant repro. labels etc.

http://www.pukardesigns.com/
He's the guy who did my numberplates. When I get the bonnet repainted on the underside I'll be replacing them with some by Pukar
kos

Post by kos »

RE heater valve. If he can get me one quicker than the dealers I'll do it
kos

Post by kos »

Wheels fitted, alignment done and put a few miles on the clock, everything is spot on bar a small small oil leak which I'll get sorted next week. Having missed a lot of shows and meets this year I've decided to head up to the retro rides gathering tomorrow

With that in mind I gave the car a quick wash

Time for some photos, only quick snaps from the phone. I'll be sure to have some proper photos up later on.

kos

Post by kos »

Took some more photos

well this happened on sunday

///Moe

Post by ///Moe »

What's going on with all the cameras?
You have a very nice car, I must say! :-)
E24 635CSiA 85' (garage queen)
E24 628CSiA 83' (turbo/manual?)
E23 745i 82' (turbo project)
E23 728i 86' (745i project)
E23 728i 79' (part's car) [x]
E28 525i 81' (part's car) [x]
kos

Post by kos »

///Moe wrote:What's going on with all the cameras?
You have a very nice car, I must say! :-)
http://www.theclassiccarshow.tv

They were filming for the new show, pretty serious backers and its production team also get involved with top gear

should be out in the new year some time, but not sure which TV channel its going on
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Nice car!
Is it stock height? And what is that thing behind the front wheel well?

BTW, there are a boatload of pics earlier in the thread that were "moved or deleted"

--Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
kos

Post by kos »

Hi Ken

It's on H&R springs so maybe 30mm lower now. It sits nicely and doesn't and handles a lot better

As for the thing behind the wheel ? Could that be the turn signal ?

Other photos, I had a issues with photo bucket, so some photos went missing

I'll try and add then all back to where they belong

Kos