20 years in the family

Pics...we want PICS!!!

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Maybe they are side markers. UK verison of US DOT rules?

30mm looks nice. What shocks in the H&R springs?
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
kos

Post by kos »

Shocks are Sachs Advantage (same as Boge Turbos) the car rides nice and feels pretty flat cornering

I was considering going for bilstein B8's but I feel they are a touch to still for a car that's more of a cruiser. I may in the future consider chafing over to bilsteins but have them re valved by Birds UK, they are the UK importers for Hartge tuning

They guys there are doing some work on an M635 so once they do the hard work I'll get a set off them

It sits nice now, I don't think is want it any lower
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

It looks magnificent Kos , testament to the amount of work and effort you have put into it .
I do prefer the centres of the wheels painted silver rather than polished /black much more factory .
Look forward to next update .
Don
kos

Post by kos »

olympia57 wrote:It looks magnificent Kos , testament to the amount of work and effort you have put into it .
I do prefer the centres of the wheels painted silver rather than polished /black much more factory .
Look forward to next update .
Don
Thank you Don

I was always unsure if the wheels as they were before, mainly the black inserts. But as they are now, it looks more factory and classy.

An e24 oozes class so why degrade it :D

Not sure what the next update will be though lol
AusE24

Post by AusE24 »

Fantastic job.. you are a true perfectionist.

Regards

Greg
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

I agree with the consensus - that's a marvellous looking car. Congratulations and well done.

Oozes class is right. Image
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

I just had a look at the trailer for that new Classic car TV Programme and see it's co-presented by Quintin Wilson.
I remember when he did this feature for 5th Gear long ago where he all but salivates over the E24......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW4uxVrr1tM

Look forward to seeing what they say about the same model now.
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

The car really looks awesome. Nice detailing and engine brightwork and phosphor coating.

But I must ask, was the antifreeze neglected which has anti-corrosive agents in it?

I just replaced my antifreeze after 5 years and there was a ton of rust crud in the drain water which was a wake-up call. It also got me to flush the P/S and brake system (after a new hydroball and master cylinder). I've got 130,000 miles so the next major chores are shocks/struts, auto trans fluid/filter.
Sansouci
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

Hi Kos. What's your long term assessment of Wolf's Rim Shield?
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
kos

Post by kos »

@jps

Getting it to bond properly on bare metal can be a challenge. I've actually switched to britemax. It has built in polymers which add protection.

Anything powdercoated or painted I still use wolfs on. On my daily car I've used it and it lasted well over a year. All I need to do is wash them down with soapy water and dry off.

@sansouci

It's pretty much down to neglect I fear. The car doenst get used much and prior to me getting the car back on the road in 2007 it was stood for a long time which probably did not help
gdm635

Post by gdm635 »

Don't suppose you want to sell one of those washer fluid bottles to me for my resto ?
kos

Post by kos »

gdm635 wrote:Don't suppose you want to sell one of those washer fluid bottles to me for my resto ?
The bottles are still available, but i don't think the caps are. The 2 spare that I have I'll be keeping. One for my e30 M3 and one spare
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

I am curious about the August 19th picture of the head surface after you had it cleaned up. I usually see a machined surface after a milling machine cleans it up. This looks almost like enough wasn't removed to provide a tight gasket surface.
The acid test is how is it holding up?

The car came out beautifully.......

--Ke
Sansouci
kos

Post by kos »

sansouci wrote:I am curious about the August 19th picture of the head surface after you had it cleaned up. I usually see a machined surface after a milling machine cleans it up. This looks almost like enough wasn't removed to provide a tight gasket surface.
The acid test is how is it holding up?

The car came out beautifully.......

--Ke
hi there

firstly thank you

funny you should say that, someone else mentioned it over on e30 zone. the picture is deceiving. theres a protective film of oil on it in the photo. when i initially saw it i freaked out too but once the oil was wiped away you can see the machined surface.

I've only put on 800/900 miles on it but so far so good.
kos

Post by kos »

kos

Post by kos »

well, the car has clocked up a 1000 miles since the re build and tomorrow i'll be tacking a few small jobs

1- brake light switch needs adjusting
2- investigate a small oil leak (timing case gasket)
3- adjust and lubricate front window and runners

window is fine going up and down but it struggles when its near the top. it also doesn't meet the window rubber properly an you get wind noise which is very annoying

then theres the audio

i've added quite comprehensive system but the front staging is poor, so after discussing the options with a few installers i've booked the car in with Studio Incar. Ive seen their work, and their fabrication is amazing.

the directive is as follows

make some OEM looking front builds to accommodate 6.5" components. tweeter will either be flush mounted in the top trim on the door or behind the wing mirror. Either w ay we aim to have it looking like it is meant to be there

speaker choice, i'm going with hybrid audio. their speakers are little known here int he UK but have a good reputation in the USA. more focussed on quality than volume. i'm going for the Unity range and the weevers will be active and i'll be using Unity range

speakers
http://hybrid-audio.com/unity/

studio Incar Gallery
http://www.studioincar.com/gallery/
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Kos
Did the production team from " The Classic Car Show " tell you what episode your car will be featured in ?
After watching the first programme I'm not sure it will be high on my " must watch " list and I don't want to miss your car .
Don
kos

Post by kos »

My high hopes were brought back down to earth as well after watching the first episode

i'll fire them an email and see if i an get a firm date from them
kos

Post by kos »

so, i had my front door builds made

i'll let the photos do the talking

Andy318is

Post by Andy318is »

Very nice Kos! Any overall shots of the doorcards? Any changes made in the boot?
'84 628csi
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

That's a remarkable job , very impressive .
Don
kos

Post by kos »

olympia57 wrote:That's a remarkable job , very impressive .
Don
thank you

they understood what i wanted and did a job that looks OEM

Andy318is wrote:Very nice Kos! Any overall shots of the doorcards? Any changes made in the boot?
Thank you

boot is as it was, but looking to change a few things.

anyway, it will be on TV this thursday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gxsu0qDq4M
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

kos wrote:
Don
thank you

Andy318is wrote:Very nice Kos! Any overall shots of the doorcards? Any changes made in the boot?
Thank you

Oh thank God as I don't think I could sit through many more episodes of the painfully childish rappore between Quinten the Lounge Lizard and the mesmerized Jodi .
And £5 K for an E24 ..... I look forward to him explaining that one especially after both Riley and the lecherous Quinten lauded them and with higher values in previous reports .
A great shame really as the programme is clearly aimed at a precise socioeconomic group that I really don't imagine are eagerly waiting on the next episode...........wrong target audience .
Look at Leno's videos , no Savile Row suits , old used Breitling watches , or bordering on vulgar programme participents , just down to earth car talk with verve from real dirty fingernail carguys that really know and feel what they are discussing.
kos

Post by kos »

olympia57 wrote:
kos wrote:
Don
thank you

Thank you

Oh thank God as I don't think I could sit through many more episodes of the painfully childish rappore between Quinten the Lounge Lizard and the mesmerized Jodi .
And £5 K for an E24 ..... I look forward to him explaining that one especially after both Riley and the lecherous Quinten lauded them and with higher values in previous reports .
A great shame really as the programme is clearly aimed at a precise socioeconomic group that I really don't imagine are eagerly waiting on the next episode...........wrong target audience .
Look at Leno's videos , no Savile Row suits , old used Breitling watches , or bordering on vulgar programme participents , just down to earth car talk with verve from real dirty fingernail carguys that really know and feel what they are discussing.
Jay Lenos on cars is awesome

you get a feel for the car, the owner, what they mean to the owner etc

just awesome for car people like us

it has crossed my mind to start doing short 5 minute clips on cars instead of photo shoots.
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Kos , your car looked fantastic at every point of the filming ,it did all we E24 owners proud ,well done . =D>

As for the article ........... it was utter drivel .
Typical of that resident oaf Riley turning what should have been an introduction and recommendation of ownership of their featured classic for £5 K into a 1980's pastiche, regurgitating all the perceived elements of excess and greed that E24 owners of the day had to have .
Basic minimal throw away info on the cars that a quick Google search would have bettered ,no interior or engine shots just repetitive visuals of a gaunt city slicker in a pin stripe suit stuffed with "wads of cash " desperately trying to be "funny".
What killed the series for me was Quintin dismissing the model as a non viable investment that rusted and suffered "electrical problems " a few minutes after urging the viewers to go out and buy ......................a mini :lol:
Make up your mind Mr Wilson or was this before you started mixing with the rich and vulgar ,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW4uxVrr1tM

As I said earlier ,a show aimed diametrically to the real classic car enthusiast who buy cars to enjoy not as Wilson continually tells us, that will turn a serious profit.