need some input on a door lock problem

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

crapshooter6

need some input on a door lock problem

Post by crapshooter6 »

Hey guys, the drivers door lock on my '85 screwed up several weeks ago and I've only driven the car occasionally since then - I pulled the fuse to the locks and I'm careful not the lock the drivers door. There's a spring broken in that door that won't allow the door to unlock - I can lock it ok with the key, but can't unlock it using just the key. I want to take the door apart so I can replace just the section that holds the spring - the door opens and closes fine, it's just the locking mechanism where that spring fits that needs to be replaced. Question is: What part of the door needs to come apart to get this done? I've never had a issue with any of the doors and I'm in a little over my head with this one.
Attachments
Driver's door - #4 spring is the problem
Driver's door - #4 spring is the problem
635csi driver's door.png (8.55 KiB) Viewed 6300 times
nomorebmws

Post by nomorebmws »

I think your door handle is the problem, the metal piece that holds the spring must be broken, I have a few If you need one, let me know what side. also Ralph might have some.
you will need to remove it, there is two small screws, and the metal bar in the inside #12 in the diagram
crapshooter6

door lock problem

Post by crapshooter6 »

Thanks nomorebmws, It'd be so much easier to just whip out a saw, cut the back half of the door off and glue another one on - naah, probly wouldn't work. You've narrowed the problem down to taking the door handle off, everything looks so intertwined in there, I had a mental picture of things flying apart if I started to take anything off - then I'd REALLY have a problem. The metal bar might be broken, I can't see a break without takin it off - the #4 spring is broken for sure, I found it in the bottom of the door when I got the panel off. I have another '85 that was a project until I decided recently to just use it for parts for the other '85 - the plan is to rob that door handle from my "new parts car" and make this thing work. If I screw it up in the process, I may need to call on you if you have that little part....wish me luck.

Bob
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Nick has you covered. The spring is riveted to the handle (the rivet is the hinge) so you'll have to replace the entire handle unless you can replace that rivet.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
crapshooter6

Post by crapshooter6 »

Thanks Ralph, I'm workin on it.

Bob
crapshooter6

Post by crapshooter6 »

Fellas, this little problem is drivin me to drink - if I take the door handle off, I still won't be able to get to that broken spring shown in the diagram above without taking something else apart. It looks like I should be able to take the latch off instead to access the part that spring fits on, am I wrong? The attached picture shows a passenger-side lock and the spring is directly beneath the arrow with the caption "push this back to release door catch". This is gettin way too complicated for a Saturday afternoon, but I need to fix this door lock - any more ideas are greatly appreciated.

Bob
Attachments
door_latch_203.jpg
door_latch_203.jpg (58.57 KiB) Viewed 6235 times
Jon Ackermann

Post by Jon Ackermann »

I just replaced my lock cylinder and the door handle gaskets on both doors.

What a major PAIN IN THE ASS. Get ready to have finger cramps, scraped up hands and NO room to get you hands in to take things apart and put back together.

The spring you need to replace only comes as an assembled piece. Go to the dealer and order that assembly and replace it.

Then things will work great.

Thanks.

Jon
JCS

Post by JCS »

To remove handle you must remove clip 13 from horz bar 12.

And remove C clip 11 from behind lock barrel mech. Slide out from behind to the right.
Jay
'88 M6, Red/Tan
My NEW Website https://www.jaysbmwparts.com/
crapshooter6

Post by crapshooter6 »

Thanks guys - keep coming with the info and I'll get this thing whipped.

Jon, I have a good working lock on another '85 6er that I'm trying to remove in one piece so I can switch it to this car....otherwise I'll wind up at the dealer, I'm trying to recycle what I have.

JCS, that sequence is exactly what I couldn't get figured out this afternoon - BMW should have stamped directions in there somewhere....thanks.

Bob
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

A little confusion. Part #4 of the diagram is attached to the door handle mechanism and is designed to return the door handle to the normal position after pulling up on the handle to open the door.

The spring you reference in the picture is part of the latch mechanism and is designed to return the door catch release lever back to it's position after opening the door.

The difficulty with the whole system (apart from lack of working room) involves the lock rods. They effectively prevent movement/relocation/removal of the attached parts. It is actually easier to remove all the parts attached to the rods and disassemble/assemble the system while removed from the door.

No need to remove any part of the handle mechanism as the rod from the key lock mechanism is easy to remove from the latch mechanism.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Removing the door handle (scroll to the Last post at the bottom):
viewtopic.php?t=6247&

Pictures to go with the explanation above (the Pics are in reverse order, the one that is supposed to be first in the series is last):
viewtopic.php?t=7374&
crapshooter6

Post by crapshooter6 »

OK guys, I think I'm convinced that the door handle doesn't need to come off - the latch has to come off for me to access the area where that broken spring (#4 shown in the first diagram) came from, am I correct in thinking that? The question now is: How do I get the latch mechanism out? Jay made it very clear about how to get the handle off, can somebody give me the sequence for getting the latch off? And if it's not the latch, let me know please.

Bob
Zandra14

Post by Zandra14 »

With many attractive biometric door locks available on the market, you can get confused about which locks to choose from. To use the locking of exterior doors as the front door, garage door or patio door, to find a bolt for greater security. For Gateway, choose one with a handle that adds an element of design to the overall look of the lock and door. Select sets of actions, there are 100 percent solid forged and has a sturdy all-metal for the high level of security.

Denver locksmith
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

SPAM! Can somebody please remove this last post!