Introducing Crystal

Pics...we want PICS!!!

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

DunDun

Post by DunDun »

Ed Lyerly wrote:Lee's car is a rare color named Cosmos Blue Metallic. The interesting thing about it is that photos never seem to show it the same color as your eyes do when you see it in person. Photos seem to be light grey, light green, or light blue. In person it is a beautiful light blue metallic. It is also a very rare car as it is an '86 model ..... the last year with euro bumpers, and euro spec motor. Only a couple hundred of these were made. Then add to that the Frank Fahey 4.0 liter stroker motor, custom exhaust .....and ..... did I mention it is an all original and immaculate car with appx 70K.
Maybe with a little prodding we can get Lee to do a posting in this forum with some good photos and more ownership details.
Lee - if you are listening do the right thing! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ed - Your writing is always intriguing and keeps me hooked! I noticed your picture archives is quite extensive, I particularly loved your pricture sharing of "Giesha" :wink:
clipper47

Post by clipper47 »

The pictures are beautiful! Thanks.
Dave

Post by e24mpwr »

Ed - thanks so much for all the kind words. I think you give me a little too much credit, but all I've done is try to help others in this community as much as I was helped when I entered it! I'm really pleased to be part of the history for Crystal - what a transformation that car has undergone from the day Nat and I rolled it off the trailer from California! You rescued it, and it is a really special example now!

I've learned so much from a wide variety of folks (many here and on the old Roadfly forum), and while I've made the mistake of allowing work and other things to swallow me up a bit over the last several years and take me away from one of my passions, things are changing for the better, and I'll be more active here going forward. It is a great community that has contributed a lot to me.

As for SESF, I'll touch base with you on your plans - I'll give you a ring.
Ed Lyerly wrote:Lee's car is a rare color named Cosmos Blue Metallic. The interesting thing about it is that photos never seem to show it the same color as your eyes do when you see it in person. Photos seem to be light grey, light green, or light blue. In person it is a beautiful light blue metallic. It is also a very rare car as it is an '86 model ..... the last year with euro bumpers, and euro spec motor. Only a couple hundred of these were made. Then add to that the Frank Fahey 4.0 liter stroker motor, custom exhaust .....and ..... did I mention it is an all original and immaculate car with appx 70K.
Maybe with a little prodding we can get Lee to do a posting in this forum with some good photos and more ownership details.
LOL - the Zentrum post comes as close to capturing the color as anything, but it is definitely a changeling color - light affects it a lot. You don't see it often, and I really like it, but I have to say your car really stops traffic with the color combo - Lama and Lapis Mmmmm...
DunDun wrote:Lee - if you are listening do the right thing! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:) I'm hearing it! Tell you what, I don't want to take over Ed's thread, but I'll pull some photos together and create a re-introduction thread! Might take a day or two, since my eyes are droopy now, tomorrow promises to be a long day and I'm traveling Wed/Thurs, but I'll squeeze it in somehow!

I forget how many miles are on the car - I know I'm at least in the 80's now - might be over 90K now. Sadly, the work & other BS as well assome mechanical things have kept the car sidelined more than I'd like over the last couple years. We swapped all the coolant hoses this past weekend only to find that I should have gotten the fuel lines as well!

Anyway, more later in a separate thread. Cheers!
Last edited by e24mpwr on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Lyerly

Post by Ed Lyerly »

Hi Lee,
Thanks for your kind words and the update.
Glad to hear you will be more active in the bigcoupe.com forums in the future.
We will all be looking forward to your re-introduction of Cosmo.
Lee 2.0 is off to a great start =D>
---------------------
1985 M635 #1998 (gone but not forgotten)
1994 850CSi (also gone but not forgotten)
1985 M635 #589
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Great looking car (lee), and I completely agree with the cosmos statement.... He's my '85 E28... note the color was only offered in the US in 85 and 86.

Blue and silver depending on the light/ clouds:

Sunny

Cloudy

And to stay on topic, another bump for a sweet M635!! =D>
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
Roku35

Still Dreaming of Lee

Post by Roku35 »

This is still my dream driveway =D> Just awesome!

Maybe one of these days [-o<
1985 Euro 635CSi CR 5-Spd (Schwartz/Anthracite Buffalo)
1985 Euro 635CSi CR 5-Spd (Polaris/Schwartz)
1985 Euro 628CSi (Zobelbraun/Nutria Buffalo) ...Rehomed
2002 540iT Sport 5-Spd (Schwartz/Schwartz)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaiisharkfest/sets
Ed Lyerly

Post by Ed Lyerly »

Definitely an awesome driveway shot =D>
Lee promised to post a thread re-introducing Cosmo ....... let's keep after him until he does it :D
---------------------
1985 M635 #589
M6smitten

Re: Still Dreaming of Lee

Post by M6smitten »

RokuMado wrote:This is still my dream driveway =D> Just awesome!

Are those Fikse wheels?
2011 1 Series M
1974 2002 Turbo
1987 M6 (2/87) - Sold
1984 M635CSi (10/84) - Sold
2012 335 xi
2009 328 xi

5280 M6

Post by 5280 M6 »

Are those Fikse wheels?
Hamann, I believe. Think that particular style is NLA.

PS: That driveway is overflowing with win! =D>

Jim
'88 M6
'85 M535i
'84 911 Carrera
'12 Audi S5 (Daily)
Ed Lyerly

Re: Still Dreaming of Lee

Post by Ed Lyerly »

M6smitten wrote:
RokuMado wrote:This is still my dream driveway =D> Just awesome!

Are those Fikse wheels?
Rondell 72's :mrgreen:
---------------------
1985 M635 #589
World-Class6

Re: Crystal with ACS wheels

Post by World-Class6 »

[quote="Ed Lyerly"]Today I installed a set of AC Schnitzer wheels on Crystal. These are 17x8.5 et13 all around. At 1st look .... I believe I like these a little better than the RH Toplines. We will see how I like them after looking at them for a few days.
So far, I would rate the wheels I have tried like this:
#1 = staggered Alpinas, #2 = AC Schnitzer, #3 = Hartge, #4 = RH Topline.

Ed~ you have quite an assortment of wheels & looks like you're having fun with all of them :lol: Crystal looks ~~hot~~ with ACS wheels and do like them better than the RH Toplines,but like the Alpinas more. I almost acquired an exact same set of ACS wheels a few weeks ago; went the economical route with style 42's for now.

Just for fun, a sign saying "M635CSi PARKING ONLY" should be placed in the driveway :mrgreen:

BTW~ I posted a pic of Sky6 with 18x8.5 Hamann HM2 wheels, a bit different from the Rondell 72's. 8)
Attachments
DSC02681.JPG
DSC02681.JPG (159.33 KiB) Viewed 14031 times
85 M635 Schwarz (Found a new home in L.A.)
95 MBZ E36 AMG Coupe widebody Polar White
88 BMW E28 535is White
2000 Jaguar XJR Anthracite
2016 GMC Sierra Double Cab SLT- All Terrain Black
-------------------------------------------------------
Ed Lyerly

Post by Ed Lyerly »

Remarkable similarities between Fiske Kinesis, Hamann HM2, and Ronell 72 :wink:

By r_e_l at 2012-03-07
---------------------
1985 M635 #589
Ed Lyerly

Installed ProgRama Batteryless SI Board

Post by Ed Lyerly »

Like many other 6er owners, I've been putting up with the service lights (SI lights) that are controlled by the SI board located in the dash cluster. The nicad batteries soldered to this board eventually fail with age and you can't re-set your service indicator ..... so the lights just stay on all the time. This is annoying enough, but my temperature gauge also began to act erraticly. It would seem to be working fine, then the needle would drop to dead cold ..... sometimes coming back after a while, sometimes not. This gave me quite a scare initially. Fortunately I also have an IR temp gun that I was able to use to verify that the engine was not running hot. Checking the temps this way is not convenient at all, and really does not provide the constant assurance that I feel is needed. So last week I decided to pull the gauge cluster and attempt to get the temperature gauge working correctly ..... plus disable the SI lights.
If you would like to try this yourself, there are excellent instructions on removing your instrument cluster here:
http://www.z3bimmer.com/OffTopic/E24Bimmer//OdoGear/

Once I got my cluster out, I carefully took it apart and removed the SI board. I had read that if the SI board was not damaged by corrosion seeping from the dead nicad batteries, that they could simply be removed and everything would work fine (except the service lights would just stay on). I decided that if that was the case I could live with that ..... as long as my temperature gauge was working correctly. Here is what my SI board looked like:
front side
By r_e_l at 2012-04-04

back side
By r_e_l at 2012-04-04

The nicad batteries were not leaking and after careful inspection I could see no damage to the circuit board. So I carefully cut the batteries loose where they were soldered to the circuit board with my Dremel tool.
Here is the SI board less batteries.
By r_e_l at 2012-04-04

Everything looked really good so I decided to reinstall the SI board (less batteries) and see how things worked. Well, I buttoned everything back up
hit the switch and the results were not good. The gas gauge went to empty, and the temp gauge started bouncing around. This was a lot of work as the connections on the back of the instrument cluster are really hard to reach when removing them ..... and even harder to get to when reinstalling the cluster. It was Thursday evening, and I was disappointed and tired .... so I just turned it off and shut the garage door.
Later that evening I did some research on replacement SI boards and found the ProgRama site which describes their batteryless replacement SI board for 6ers thru 1985. This seemed to be a good choice to me, so I ordered one.
The ProgRama batteryless SI board arrived Tuesday afternoon and I was able ti get it installed last night (things went a little faster on my second removal and reinstall of the instrument cluster)
Here is what the ProgRama batteryless SI board looks like .... quite a bit simpler than the one it replaces .... and fits perfectly.

By r_e_l at 2012-04-04

I'm happy to report that I fired up Crystal this morning and took her for a short drive. All the gauges, including the SI lights are now working perfectly. I did have to do the work twice, but I'm happy with the results ..... and I also swapped out the 3V cluster lights for 5V ones on the 2nd time around, so now I have brighter dash lights as well :D

If you are interested in one of these ProgRama batteryless SI boards, I got mine here:
http://programainc.com/product_detail.a ... 1139427001
---------------------
1985 M635 #589
Ed Lyerly

SESF 2012 Prep

Post by Ed Lyerly »

Today Nat Arnold installed my custom all aluminum radiator from Wizard Cooling.
I've been getting by with a patched plastic neck on my 27 year old radiator for the last few months. With a 400 mile (each way) trip looming fo SESF next week .... it was mandatory to resolve this problem now.
Nat did the remove and replace in about an hour this morning. I now feel much more confident about my drive to SESF in Alabama next week :D

By r_e_l at 2012-04-19

By r_e_l at 2012-04-19

I should have taken some pictures of the impressive Wizard Cooling radiator before the installation ..... it is a hand crafted work of art.
Here are a couple links with more details (in case you are interested). The second one is by my friend Bill ..... who gave me this idea =D>

https://wizardcooling.com/category/75-bmw.aspx

viewtopic.php?t=10926&highlight=radiator+replacement
---------------------
1985 M635 #589
Roku35

Re: Installed ProgRama Batteryless SI Board

Post by Roku35 »

Ed Lyerly wrote:
If you are interested in one of these ProgRama batteryless SI boards, I got mine here:
Thanks Ed. I'll have to give this a try. I have been putting this off for several months. I'll give it a try myself. My thermostat needle has been flatlined and then bouncing around since last year.
Ed Lyerly

Re: Installed ProgRama Batteryless SI Board

Post by Ed Lyerly »

Roku35 wrote:
Ed Lyerly wrote:
Thanks Ed. I'll have to give this a try. I have been putting this off for several months. I'll give it a try myself. My thermostat needle has been flatlined and then bouncing around since last year.
Hi Carl,
You will be pleased with the results. Wish I had done this initially and saved myself some frustration. Just take your time and mark all the lights and connections as you disassemble per the link provided.
This Programa batteryless board is the way to go :D
---------------------
1985 M635 #589
Ed Lyerly

Post by Ed Lyerly »

I'm slow ..... but my staggered Alpinas are finished in time for SESF #10 :D

By r_e_l at 2012-04-21
---------------------
1985 M635 #589
markh

Post by markh »

Of all your set-ups, I like the Alpina's best on Crystal! By a bunch.
1988 ///M Zinno/Lotus 70K miles
Ed Lyerly

Post by Ed Lyerly »

Thanks Mark :D

Wheels are on ..... center lug nut covers and lock cover inserts now completed and ready to install:
By r_e_l at 2012-04-23
---------------------
1985 M635 #589
Roku35

Post by Roku35 »

Ed Lyerly wrote:Thanks Mark :D

Wheels are on ..... center lug nut covers and lock cover inserts now completed and ready to install:
By r_e_l at 2012-04-23

Hell Yeah! Now thats what I'm talking about. =D> Truly my unbias opinion :roll:
maxg765

Post by maxg765 »

Ed Lyerly wrote:I'm slow ..... but my staggered Alpinas are finished in time for SESF #10 :D

By r_e_l at 2012-04-21
Truly nice wheels (and rest of car)! I like your resort towel too. I wish I was going to SESF in order to see this beauty in person. You make me feel like my shark is dirty and in need of major attention everywhere and, I always get the comments that people cannot believe how it is so clean at 24+ years of age.

Max
Regards,

Max
-----------------
88 BMW M6 112000 KM's
89 BMW 325ix Dinan Turbo
72 Triumph STAG 37000 Miles
Ed Lyerly

Post by Ed Lyerly »

Hi Max,
Thanks for your kind words about Crystal :D
I've seen the pictures of your beautiful 53,000 mile '88 M6. Your car is outstanding !! I wish you could join us at Sharkfest #10 this weekend.
Crystal is prepped and ready to depart in the morning. I'm meeting Lee (e24Mpwr) for a mini-convoy to Knoxville, TN where we will join the Virginia contingent to form a larger convoy to Scottsboro, AL.
Here is a look at Crystal with the newly refinished Alpinas installed. Note the low profile valve stems I have chosen this time.
By r_e_l at 2012-04-25
By r_e_l at 2012-04-25
By r_e_l at 2012-04-25
---------------------
1985 M635 #589
maxg765

Post by maxg765 »

Ed Lyerly wrote:Hi Max,
Thanks for your kind words about Crystal :D
I've seen the pictures of your beautiful 53,000 mile '88 M6. Your car is outstanding !! I wish you could join us at Sharkfest #10 this weekend.
Crystal is prepped and ready to depart in the morning. I'm meeting Lee (e24Mpwr) for a mini-convoy to Knoxville, TN where we will join the Virginia contingent to form a larger convoy to Scottsboro, AL.
Here is a look at Crystal with the newly refinished Alpinas installed. Note the low profile valve stems I have chosen this time.
Hi Ed,

Thank you for the kind words on my M6. I wish I could join you guys but I just completed the 1700 mile trip from Montreal to North Miami the weekend before last on April 12-15th. I cannot take the additional time off or want to put the additional miles just yet. Besides I need to detail it up so I can park next to yours. I plan on attending next year should there be a SESF #11. I will be taking this year to begin the detailing of the underside. By next year nearly all shark model years will be 25 except the few 89's making them "officially" classics. I might look into getting a trailer/dolly where all four wheels are off the ground to avoid the excessive miles and wear...

As for your Alpina's - WOW. Just WOW!!! Every detail down to the short valve stems are just perfect. They stand out nicely but do not over power the car. Your making me reconsider my decision to seek out a set of Style 5's. Enjoy your trip and have some extra fun on my behalf.

Max
Regards,

Max
-----------------
88 BMW M6 112000 KM's
89 BMW 325ix Dinan Turbo
72 Triumph STAG 37000 Miles
FL BLK SHRK

Post by FL BLK SHRK »

As always, the car looks beautiful, Ed. I really have to make it out to SESF next year. It's only about an 8 hr. drive for me, nice day trip. Have a great time, take lots of pics and post em up as soon as you can!
markh

Post by markh »

Crystal is now wearing the proper shoes. Back to the top of her class!
1988 ///M Zinno/Lotus 70K miles