Wheels & tyres recommendations

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

brianlutman

Post by brianlutman »

Hi Aussie 6 owners,

I'm fairly new to the forum so apologies ahead if I'm posting incorrectly.

I have a 89 Series II and I need a new set of tyres. I currently have Bridgestones( 15"x225x60 )which have been excellent but they don't make that type any more. A number of people have recommended Michelins.

I've also been told that Yokoham's are also good but then there's the "don't put Japanese tyres on a German car" consideration.

What do you all think?

Re wheels:I currently have the standard 15" mesh wheels which are fine but an number of people ( including my 6 owning mechanic ) have told me that the car looks much better with 16" wheels and slightly lower profile ( 50/55 ) tyres.

FYI:I have Bilsteins' all round with slightly shorter springs in the front so the car has a more modern raked forward look and handles beautifully

All suggestions and recommendations welcome.

Cheers,

Brian

PS Re my previous post - I'm very, very happy with my 'Hi-Tech' exhaust system
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

Thought I would chime in here having just gone through this again myself.

First off I would suggest figure out what size you want as not all options are available in all sizes. Then whether you want a performance orientated tyre or something for more general use and start your search from there.

If you ask 10 different people you'll likely get 10 different opinions based on individual experiences.

In general:
- Pirelli, Michelin and Continental best
- The more you pay the more grip you get, but shorter life
- Brands like, Bridgestone, Toyo, Falken etc less expensive but not far behind in tyre tests.

After doing lots of research I decided for me, best value, being grip at a not too exorbitant price with reasonable wear expectations were Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's.

Hope this helps, Chris
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

G'day Brian,

I'm on to my second set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3s on 17" wheels, and they're excellent in all conditions. I've been highly impressed at the levels of grip they've provided in wet and dry conditions, they really do hang on when pushing the car hard through twisty corners and rain drenched mountain roads.

My 6er is more a pleasure craft than a daily driver these days and whenever its out it gets a thrashing on a full day long distance cruise, so for hard driving they really do give a lot of confidence and surety in terms of handling, braking and control.

However, as Chris has indicated, they don't last all that long and my first set wore out after around 24,000kms or so. I'd certainly recommend the PS3s if you want quality above all else, but they're probably not the best value for money in terms of longevity. For a daily driver with a regular traffic commute there are probably better value, longer lasting tyres out there that would do the job just fine.

Regards,
Ellis.
markh

Post by markh »

I'm also very pleased with my purchase a year ago of Conti Extreme Contact DS. Quiet and good grip.
1988 ///M Zinno/Lotus 70K miles
Chris Wright

Re: Wheels & tyres recommendations

Post by Chris Wright »

brianlutman wrote: I'm fairly new to the forum so apologies ahead if I'm posting incorrectly.
Yup, this is the wrong section for questions. It is for notifications of Aussi gatherings. :wink: but that is Ok. 8)
2I6es

Re: Wheels & tyres recommendations

Post by 2I6es »

brianlutman wrote:Hi Aussie 6 owners,......I've also been told that Yokoham's are also good but then there's the "don't put Japanese tyres on a German car" consideration.
G'day Brian, I have been driving Australian roads since I was 12. During this time I have tried Michelin, Perrelli, Bridgestone, Dunlop ad nauseam. For the last 19 years I have swapped between Yokohama and Bridgestone / Dunlop but keep returning to Yokohama.

I don't quite follow the thought about Japanese tyres on a German car. Given they are priced right and serve the purpose you want them to, why would you not fit them.

If you want an extremely quiet tyre with some performance orientation try the Yoko Db 550 series(run 'em on my Ford XR6). If you want outright performance try the S Series for a street tyre(run 'em on the 635) or Advan for a track tyre. Both my vehicles run Yokos and living in the tropics they are good and have to be good both on dry roads and in the rain.

Whatever you get remember this, whatever tyres you fit to the BMW they are your first point of contact with the road. The difference between a good tyre and a great tyre maybe no more than a few metres but can be the difference between grazing / missing something and ploughing into it.

Cheers Vinny
$DO || ! $DO : try
try: command not found

02 XR6 (m) 5sp (OD) 1701 D - "ENTERPRISE"

Long time lover of all hot I6's - BMW 635, Ford XR6 and the mighty Chrysler E49 six pack Charger
JCS

Post by JCS »

markh wrote:I'm also very pleased with my purchase a year ago of Conti Extreme Contact DS. Quiet and good grip.
DITTO, What mark said.

Great price, quiet tire. I have DW - dry/wet
Attachments
PICT0010.JPG
PICT0010.JPG (114.16 KiB) Viewed 16728 times
Jay
'88 M6, Red/Tan
My NEW Website https://www.jaysbmwparts.com/
markh

Post by markh »

Great price, quiet tire. I have DW - dry/wet
Thanks Jay - when I wrote DS I must have been thinking Dumb Shit = me.

DW = Dry Wet
DWS = Dry Wet Snow
1988 ///M Zinno/Lotus 70K miles
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Most tyres grip pretty well in the dry when new. What separates the good from the cheap stuff is how well it performs once they wear down a little.

The pilot sports I had on other bmws have worked well when worn in the wet. I've had continental 2's on cars as well and they are good also

I currently have on the 6 are some toyo888 r compound tyres and these are great in the dry and not too bad in the wet also. I use them as the police insisted that I have 93W rated tyres on and they are the only ones I had at home. The tyre roar is pretty loud like a mud terrain off road tyre almost.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

GAZ
Do you mean the cops, gendarmes; as in a particular law?? #-o
How rare & insane,,,,,,,,to me anyway! :roll:
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

GripGreg wrote:GAZ
Do you mean the cops, gendarmes; as in a particular law?? #-o
How rare & insane,,,,,,,,to me anyway! :roll:
Yes was very silly. I don't want to fill up this thread with non related stuff but basically in Victoria here we have a club permit so older cars can be driven without a full registration. Unfortunaty I'm the first one in over 20000 permits to have to get a full road worthy inspection done the same inspection that a new car has to go thru. Even more insane is the $352 fine they have given me
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

They gave you a large fine for not having the tire of THEIR choice???
Can you fight that? Maybe ask them to pay for the tires? Ok, ok,,,,but!!!
Talk about big brother!!!!!
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
brianlutman

Post by brianlutman »

Thank you everyone for your replies, comments and recommendations.

My apologies for my delay in replying - I did type a reply 2 weeks ago but I must have pressed an incorrect key to post same.

Re wheels: can anyone recommend how to source same in Sydney i.e. a reputable dealer or good website?

Cheers,

Brian
barry633

Tyres

Post by barry633 »

I'm very happy with my Kuhmo Ku 36's ,excellent in wet and dry and for track days
Attachments
21-3-13 006.jpg
21-3-13 006.jpg (22.02 KiB) Viewed 16502 times
21-3-13 007.jpg
21-3-13 007.jpg (14.67 KiB) Viewed 16502 times
MöchteWeiß

Post by MöchteWeiß »

:shock: You think THOSE are good in wet? What do you consider 'wet'? 50% relative humidity? :-k
brianlutman

Post by brianlutman »

I'm still on the look out for a Sydney source of 17" wheels for my 89 Series II. I'm looking for something like the BBS wheels that use to be fitted to M6s.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

try either ebay, gumtree or ebay.de

Note that the UK may also have what you are after so keep an eye on ebay.co.uk

Remember that 1980 commodores used the same BBS wheel pattern so wheels are interchangeable.

Josh
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

brianlutman wrote:I'm still on the look out for a Sydney source of 17" wheels for my 89 Series II. I'm looking for something like the BBS wheels that use to be fitted to M6s.
Brian
I have 5 Style 5s. 3 x 8"x 17" and 2 x 9"x 17" fitted with 235/45 and 265/40 Falken 451 tyres. The bolts are now chrome not gold.

Postage could be rather high though!
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
m6dave

Post by m6dave »

I know a guy with a set of Schnitzers 17 x 8.5 ET13 they need to be stripped and refinished as they have been painted black.
brianlutman

Post by brianlutman »

Hi Josh.

Thank you for the tips. I've tried ebay and Gumtree over the last several months but haven't found anything suitable.

The other day i came across Magwheelcentre in Melbourne - they custom make beautiful wheels but at $1,000 a piece they are far too expensive for me.

A guy in South Wales replied with what I'm looking for but the shipping costs would be prohibitive.

Cheers,

Brian
brianlutman

Post by brianlutman »

Hi Ron,

Your wheels are what I'm looking for but as you say the cost to ship from Old South Wales to New South Wales would be prohibitive.

Thanks for your post,

Brian
brianlutman

Post by brianlutman »

Hi M6Dave,

I don't know what Schnitzers are. Ciould you get your friend to post a pic?

Cheers,

Brian
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Shipping from the UK to aust is not too bad. Ron's wheels look great.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
m6dave

Post by m6dave »

Brian