Mrs. Bee A New Member - A Needy Girl

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MrsBee

Mrs. Bee A New Member - A Needy Girl

Post by MrsBee »

Howdy, y'all!

Upon request from a friend from the BMW CCA, I was directed towards this forum as an essential tool in the quest that I'm about to make. I'm going to fly out to LA to pick up a 1985 635csi, which somebody has "donated" to the club and I. This was offered to me after I wrote a piece about how in love I was with Sharks and the parallels they draw into other aspects of our lives.

So, there, that was a brief synopsis of the adventure. It's set to take place in January, travelling through parts far south and eventually arriving home in South Carolina (with a big rally right over the border).

I'd love to bring this forum along for the ride, and I'd even make the car a rolling advertisement to your very unique forum. Whatever assistance I can get is greatly GREATLY appreciated.

If you'd like to get more info on this quest - check out my website -
nikkiweed.wordpress.com

I look forward to hearing from you all, and I promise, I won't be a complaining girl of the forum.
5280 M6

Post by 5280 M6 »

Welcome to the forum, Nikki, and congrats on joining our club of E24 obsessed members. If your route home with the 6'er happens to take you through Colorado, we have several enthusiasts scattered around the state who I'm sure would be happy to help you. That includes a casual meet up for coffee and road stories as well :)

Looking forward to following your adventure!
Jim
'88 M6
'85 M535i
'84 911 Carrera
'12 Audi S5 (Daily)
bfons

Post by bfons »

5280 M6 wrote:Welcome to the forum, Nikki, and congrats on joining our club of E24 obsessed members. If your route home with the 6'er happens to take you through Colorado, we have several enthusiasts scattered around the state who I'm sure would be happy to help you. That includes a casual meet up for coffee and road stories as well :)

Looking forward to following your adventure!
Jim
I agree with Jim,

If you can make the I-70 route, that would be cool as us Denver/Co Springs area Sixers can meet up with ya and maybe even do part of the drive with you! Although I wont be in a sixer... :-(

That said, I-70 in January could be a bit risky
Brian

-----------------------
1984 Graphite M635 - Project Graphite - Sold
1985 Polaris M635 - Polaris - Sold
1987 L6 Black/Lotus White - My Queen has a new home
1980 633csi - Gone but not forgotten
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Good to see you here, Nikki! =D> This is THE place to get E24 (and E28, and E12) info/help. Browse here and you'll have a good working knowledge of your E24 before you ever touch it. Ask anything you want, and don't worry about being complaining. We all get that way on occasion. :wink:

The Gulf Coast Chapter looks forward to your visit!
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
80CSi

Re: Mrs. Bee A New Member - A Needy Girl

Post by 80CSi »

MrsBee wrote:... eventually arriving home in South Carolina (with a big rally right over the border).
Do you mean "South of the Border?" Tell Pedro I said hi!

She's from South Carolina... she'll know what I mean.

Congrats Nikki!
Last edited by 80CSi on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprocket

Re: Mrs. Bee A New Member - A Needy Girl

Post by Sprocket »

MrsBee wrote:...
and I promise, I won't be a complaining girl of the forum.
That's my job, anyway, missy.

I read your piece just the other day, hopefully your road trip will be without drama. And, wow, you can't argue with a free car, can you? It will find a way into your wallet (purse?), I am sure.

What will you do with the car once you are back home? (Say "daily driver", I know you can).

Come through Winston-Salem if it is on the way, there is a cluster of enthoosiasts 'round these here parts. Sounds like you are coming from the opposite direction, though. Not much going on here in January, since that is usually WINTER. Why January?
MrsBee

Post by MrsBee »

Whoa, I leave to go on a motorcycle ride, am gone an hour and a half and I come back to all kinds of awesome replies! Thanks y'all (please note, I say Howdy, y'all, and yonder pretty often, but keep in mind, I'm really from Wisconsin and would rather say Hey, yous, and over der).

I'm really looking forward to this feat, and well, if anything comes from it, it'll be a group of really disappointing people following me along the way.

I'm looking forward to Gulf Coast, and am really looking for places to stay along the way - so, nudge nudge, if you know anybody in Mesa, Tuscon, El Paso, Houston, New Orla, Mobile Tampa, Jax or Atlanta, speak now or forever hold your peace. Hell, I'll even park in a driveway and sleep in the back seat if I have to -it's better than a rest area...you KNOW what happens there.

I digress.

So, yes, January because that's the only time that I can go on hiatus from my real job. Seeing as how my itinerary is very loose, I just have to tell the business that "I'll be gone for a while".

With that in mind, I'm trying to do this whole trip on a shoestring budget - I'm missing a bunch of work, but oh well, you only live once and this is a once in a lifetime thing. The Six Of My Dreams - Potentially Nightmares.

What am I missing....
bcadmin

Post by bcadmin »

MrsBee wrote:Whoa, I leave to go on a motorcycle ride, am gone an hour and a half and I come back to all kinds of awesome replies! Thanks y'all (please note, I say Howdy, y'all, and yonder pretty often, but keep in mind, I'm really from Wisconsin and would rather say Hey, yous, and over der).

I'm really looking forward to this feat, and well, if anything comes from it, it'll be a group of really disappointing people following me along the way.

I'm looking forward to Gulf Coast, and am really looking for places to stay along the way - so, nudge nudge, if you know anybody in Mesa, Tuscon, El Paso, Houston, New Orla, Mobile Tampa, Jax or Atlanta, speak now or forever hold your peace. Hell, I'll even park in a driveway and sleep in the back seat if I have to -it's better than a rest area...you KNOW what happens there.

I digress.

So, yes, January because that's the only time that I can go on hiatus from my real job. Seeing as how my itinerary is very loose, I just have to tell the business that "I'll be gone for a while".

With that in mind, I'm trying to do this whole trip on a shoestring budget - I'm missing a bunch of work, but oh well, you only live once and this is a once in a lifetime thing. The Six Of My Dreams - Potentially Nightmares.

What am I missing....
What you're doing captures the very essence of our love for this classic Bimmer. To fly out so far, hop in, and hit the pedal is simply awesome. Doing this with a donated Sixer adds to the romance of the whole trip. Lets pray this dream trip home doesn't turn into a nightmare

I'm thinking I need to setup a "Sponser Mrs Bee's" trip where we can donate cash for gas, motels, and food .....
Brian F

Bimmerless :0(

------ Former Stable -----
E31 840ci
1990 525i
1984 Graphite M635
1985 Polaris M635
1987 L6
1980 633csi
MrsBee

Post by MrsBee »

[[/quote]I'm thinking I need to setup a "Sponser Mrs Bee's" trip where we can donate cash for gas, motels, and food .....[/quote]

I like this idea, I like this idea! I'm not sure how it would get pulled off - usually when you ask for donations, people get something in return, like those people that hand out Tootsie Rolls at street corners for donations, or those Poppies that get handed out if you make a donation around Veterans day.

Lemme think - I write, I design landscapes, what do I have to offer? Special "words from the road", when you donate, you get a special opportunity to get a live web update on what's going on with the Shark and a special website that only people who have donated can see - complete with swear words and such?

Sometimes I get a bit ahead of myself.
markh

Post by markh »

I'm pretty certain you could make the trip from LA to the Carolinas with Fuel, food and lodging all along the way from really good folks on this forum. When you get to January just start a new thread and I guarantee you many of us will follow it religiously. Max made the trip from somewhere in Canada to Miami last year and we followed him (casually) along the way.

Check your junk mail folder at Roundel.org.
1988 ///M Zinno/Lotus 70K miles
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Mrs. Bee?

You're picking up this beast here in LA? Has it been thoroughly vetted? Have the brakes, vacuum hoses, fluids, upper & lower control arms, etc, been ascertained to be within nominal parameters?

It seems to me (from my lofty position as Grand Poobah of all things SoCal) that it behooveth ewe to enlist the aid of the members of this Illustrious forum, who dwelleth within these rarified borders.

Sew, be forthcoming and oui shall endeavor to assist you in this regard.

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
Ireland stainless exhaust
Upper & lower control arms
New tie rod kit
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Not to insult Mrs. Bee, but a first poster and you guys are ready to throw money? I have been here a good 4 years and can use some money to finish my restoration. AND I will give you something in return.....a ride in my freshly restored car. About $3k should do it. LOL
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Wow!! What a fun adventure. You may be surprised how much Triple A can help with cheap lodging if all else fails.
Plus towing, if necessary! Oh, they have a lot of maps, too. But, you already know this stuff.
I believe the good people on this website will push you through just because you're doin' it! =D>
Please, stay in close contact with us,,,,Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
Zieg

Welcome to the world of SHARKS

Post by Zieg »

Hi Nikki as has been already said welcome to the madness!!

I had the pleasure of having dinner with Nikki and others at a restaurant in Atlanta this past March at the Southeast Regional Congress. I can honestly say it has been a long time since I have met anyone with soooo much energy!!

If you decide to take the southern route take a detour and head south to Tampa, Florida we would be happy to put you up, buy you dinner and have a gathering of fellow E-24 owners and maybe invite some E28 and E-30 owners as well.

Good luck with the trip.
Zieg FSC BMW CCA, President
1984 633CSi/1977 630CSi/1983 320i/1988 535is/1998 Z3/2000 MRoadster
MrsBee

Post by MrsBee »

Hey now, I'm not looking for a handout, it was just a suggestion, and I think it's a great one! Like I said, I'm more than willing to offer some sort of writing in return, hell, I'll write a dag gum poem about you if you'd like...but seriously, I still think it's pretty awesome that not even 24 hours of being on this forum and the fists are pumping in the air like a heavy metal concert.

The website devoted to the saga will stay as up to date as the world needs to know about, for everything eles, the tiny insider info and such, I'll keep to the forums. That's that saying, pals before gals?

Nevermind, I don't want to say too much and ruffle feathers. I need you guys (and gals)
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

MrsBee wrote:Hey now, I'm not looking for a handout, it was just a suggestion, and I think it's a great one! Like I said, I'm more than willing to offer some sort of writing in return, hell, I'll write a dag gum poem about you if you'd like...but seriously, I still think it's pretty awesome that not even 24 hours of being on this forum and the fists are pumping in the air like a heavy metal concert. The website devoted to the saga will stay as up to date as the world needs to know about, for everything eles, the tiny insider info and such, I'll keep to the forums. That's that saying, pals before gals? Nevermind, I don't want to say too much and ruffle feathers. I need you guys (and gals)
I must admit, not being a member of SCCA, I had no clue who you are. No offense meant. As Fresh Bread said give a shout ahead of time if coming to AZ. You will see some interesting 6s
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

bpoliakoff wrote:Not to insult Mrs. Bee, but a first poster and you guys are ready to throw money? I have been here a good 4 years and can use some money to finish my restoration. AND I will give you something in return.....a ride in my freshly restored car. About $3k should do it. LOL
Fickle, thy name is Big Coupe! Ewe will notice that at no point in my post, did I proffer $$ or anything of the sort, Bert. I offered no more than I've offered numerous times to anyone on this forum who is thinking of purchasing a SoCal 6er. And so ya'll are on notice? Once I get Grace put back together, it is my plan to do the Grand Tour around the North American continent and I fully expect to meet up w/various and sundry of all ya'll and I'll be posting the sh*t out of the journey. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
Ireland stainless exhaust
Upper & lower control arms
New tie rod kit
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Well, let Fresh Bread and myself know when you are on the way
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Too bad you aren't passing through the No. Cal. neck of the woods. We have some right neighborly folk round these here parts, you betcha. :wink:

The folks on this forum are an incredibly decent bunch of people and you can trust that we will monitor your progress. When you are on the road you will have enthusiasts sending much good juju your way and should you pass near any of us, I am sure you will be able to find be a warm place to rest, feed and even wrench if need be.

Keep us updated on progress and I am looking forward to hearing how your adventure continues.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
MrsBee

Post by MrsBee »

Whoa, I'm still new, I'm not privy to some of the lingo, "Fresh Bread?"
atleuro6

Post by atleuro6 »

good luck on your trip!

Atlanta has a huge BWW community. If you need anything on your way through here let me know. I am happy to show you some great places to eat and drink

I just picked up my first 635 back in march, a euro 85 :)

These are great cars and you will get a ton of attention in it!

Tony
vadon

Post by vadon »

As others have said,Welcome to the Madness !
Methinks this one is truly Shark-bitten.

I would be happy to get on board with a "contribution" with nothing expected in return. The "Tales of Adventure" and having another shark on this coast is plenty of compensation.

Happy Trails!
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fresh Bread?

Post by GRNSHRK »

Fresh Bread is just the handle of a board member, who lives somewhere in AZ :lol:

And Bert, Mrs. Bee did not ask for handouts, that was a suggestion of Brian, and a good one at that :shock:

This is actually a BMW CCA event, and a cool one at that =D>

I surmise that these "handouts" will materialize in the form of meals, couch to sleep on for a night, maybe assistance with car problems (heaven forbid :oops: ) that sorta thing :D

I am quite confident that the Big Coupe forum and members will be more than willing to assist and step up to the plate 8)

:mrgreen:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Oh SNAP! If you are in L.A., you HAVE to get some serious eats before you leave town.

I recommend you stop by Phillippe's downtown to get the best french dip of your life!

There is also Pink's Hot Dogs - Get a t-shirt to prove you've been there.

One of my personal favorites is Javan in Santa Monica. They serve absolutely KILLER Persian food.

Dammit .... now I want Persian food.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
PTFunk

Post by PTFunk »

Hi Nikki - welcome to the madness. There's no cure once you've come down with shark fever.

As the date approaches, I hope that we can arrange a gathering of 6ers in L.A. as a fitting send-off for your journey. SoCal 6er folks on this board such as Phillip, Jay, Greg, Anri, and myself (to name just a few) could attend, and we could certainly widen the scope by getting the SoCal Vintage group (www.socalvintagebmw.com) involved. John & Jeff, who run this group, have lots of connections and get many owners interested in showing up.

Cheers,
Paul
"Sabine": '88 M6 Royalblau/Silber
SLS delete, Wizard Cooling radiator, BavAuto Strut bar, M-Technik steering wheel, Conforti chip, Bilstein B8s / H&R Lowering Springs, BBE stainless cat-back exhaust