Are BMW dealers a bunch of idiots?

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

alabbasi

Are BMW dealers a bunch of idiots?

Post by alabbasi »

Called four dealers looking for a muffler for my car and gave them the PN# 18121309 004

Heard 4 different stories

1) Part NLA
2) I'll need to order from Germany
3) It's available in Germany but I can't order it because it's not legal in the US (What??)
4) I don't have it, but it's available in Washington State for $650 (MSRP shows $419)

Not really willing to pay $650 if the MSRP is $400 so I guess I'll keep looking.
With best regards,
Al
85 M635, DFW, TX
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Al
Go to the websites, like bavauto.com, or pelicanparts.com, or autogeeks.com, or autohausaz.com, or autopartswarehouse.com.
Stay away from the 'stealership'!
Just my opinion.
Good luck,,,,Greg
Ps,,,I just went to bavauto & found a stock muffler for $379 for an '85.
But, I don't know your year.
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
jdb

Post by jdb »

This is becoming more and more common with dealer parts dept. It is poor form to not support the classics.

This muffler is in the fatherland and BMW list it in DCS net is $501.90.
There are 64 avalible as of right now.
BMW is blocking more and more parts for euro models.
There is paper work involved to get these parts.
you have to prove current registration and ownership of the vehicle.

copy of registration with your name and address
copy of your drivers license with the same name and address
picture of vin tag showing DOT work was done on the vehicle also helps.
This is then FAXed to parts consulting group for release of the parts.

This is why some dealers don't want to or don't know how to get the parts relesed. Even the euro M88 headers are now blocked.

If you are stuck you can call the small dealer I work at as they are tuned up on this procedure...I own 3 euro models, they are helpfull and I am the master tech. and can help them if needed.
Ask for parts.
707-839-4269

Jeff
alabbasi

Post by alabbasi »

Greg

Thanks, I have a worldpac and IMC account and am therefore to get most aftermarket parts locally and at wholesale prices. I usually never have problems ordering Mercedes Benz parts for my Euro cars, even if it's a rare beast like my Euro spec 300SEL 6.3.

I'm kind of surprised that these guys don't have their acts together.

In any case, I ordered from an outfit called BMWPartsCenter which is supposed to be an online presence for a dealer in Indiana so we'll see how it works out.

Jeff, I appreciate your response. If this effort fails, I may take you up on your offer. I too would have no idea on why BMW would make it so hard to support the Euro models. I can understand it we were still in the 80's and in they heyday of the grey market import era. But the ship has already sailed and it makes no sense to continue to punish owners for buying Euro cars that were discontinued almost 30 years ago.
With best regards,
Al
85 M635, DFW, TX
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

It's interesting that you may go with Jeff's situation.
I, of course don't mind, but, what I presented is cheaper & includes the dual pipe from the cat to the back.
Good to have choices, huh? Now I realize why I requested an '85.
Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
alabbasi

Post by alabbasi »

GripGreg wrote:It's interesting that you may go with Jeff's situation.
I, of course don't mind, but, what I presented is cheaper & includes the dual pipe from the cat to the back.
Good to have choices, huh? Now I realize why I requested an '85.
Greg
Greg

To be clear , I already put an order from a BMW dealer who sells parts online for about $380. Bavarian auto lists the same part for $480 (based on the part number). However, I've tried to order this part online in the past and while the order went through, it was kicked back after a couple of days and I was told that the part was NLA.

Given this case, while I'd love to get it for a better price (I hate paying retail), if Jeff knows that his dealership can get it, then this is a good assurance for me. Hopefully though, the dealer in Indiana that I ordered through today will be able to sort me out and I can move on to the next big fish. The 2nd gear synchro which does not work.

Thanks
With best regards,
Al
85 M635, DFW, TX
SWE635

Post by SWE635 »

Is this a US thing?

My local dealer here in Sweden has shown me nothing but love when I've contacted them. And to me the prices seems quite fair.
At least once a year they host enthusiast nights when there's a 20% discount on prices.

...not that this is any help at all to the original poster! ;)
---
'89 635CSiA; Zinnoberrot
'11 VW Golf Variant TSI160; Bronze
'15 Nissan Juke; Ink Blue
sideshowbob

Post by sideshowbob »

Can only agree with SWE635.

My dealer Bowkers in Preston has never let me down on any parts for my 635 and E30.
They are interested in the cars, do loads of research to ensure I get the right part and give me a minimum of 20% discount, even on stuff ordered direct from Germany, which usually arrives next day.
Can't fault their service and attitude, just wish the rest of the country was like them !!
Hefeweizen

Post by Hefeweizen »

GripGreg wrote:Al
Go to the websites, like bavauto.com, or pelicanparts.com, or autogeeks.com, or autohausaz.com, or autopartswarehouse.com.
Stay away from the 'stealership'!
Just my opinion.
Good luck,,,,Greg
Ps,,,I just went to bavauto & found a stock muffler for $379 for an '85.
But, I don't know your year.
+1 on this! Shop around but leave the Stealership out of your radar. There are so many places out there where you can get parts
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)
80 633CSi (Red Euro, Project)

"If you think a good European mechanic is expensive, try a bad one!"
bfons

Post by bfons »

Some people, myself included prefer to have the OEM part. In some cases, I'm even willing to pay a bit extra.
Brian

-----------------------
1984 Graphite M635 - Project Graphite - Sold
1985 Polaris M635 - Polaris - Sold
1987 L6 Black/Lotus White - My Queen has a new home
1980 633csi - Gone but not forgotten
alabbasi

Post by alabbasi »

Following up. I got an Email from Tomkinson BMW in Indiana this morning indicating that they were not able to get the part that they will cancel my order.

I called them to follow up and they said again that because it's a European car, BMW blocks the purchase of parts that are Euro specific. It's a pity, they had great prices when compared to the dealer in Washington state (about 1/2 the price) and I tried to convince them that it can be done, but they weren't having it.

Pretty lame.

Another option is to put an aftermarket muffler from a 635csi which is also 2 in 2 out, but probably a smaller diameter. My wholesaler has one in stock, made Ansa for $250.
With best regards,
Al
85 M635, DFW, TX
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Start a new thread titled "Need help from Europe members to get a part" and see if someone can help you out.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
alabbasi

Post by alabbasi »

Da_Hose wrote:Start a new thread titled "Need help from Europe members to get a part" and see if someone can help you out.

Jose
That's cost prohibitive. In the end, I'll go with an aftermarket unit if I can't find an OE unit at reasonable price.
With best regards,
Al
85 M635, DFW, TX