FS: 1985 BMW M635CSi

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts for sale.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

DCAlbarran

FS: 1985 BMW M635CSi

Post by DCAlbarran »

UPDATE: Was clipped in the rear while parked in the parking lot of a movie shoot. Updated pics attached. Damage estimates range from $3k to $5.5k. That is at retail labor rates with new parts. Updated price is $13,700k/obo!

Bought her a year ago from a BigCoupe member, but like the ad says, fell in love with another, and have house projects to pay for. Gonna put this ad elsewhere, but thought I'd put it here first. All pictures are recent and unedited:

Hi all, thanks for looking at my ad. I’m selling my 1985 BMW M635CSi that I’ve owned for about a year. Its been a great car, and I’ve put about 2k miles and a little over $11,000 into it since I’ve had it, but I recently fell in love with another German sports car with it’s engine in the rear, so the shark is the odd one out. I believe I am the fourth owner, has not been in an accident (save for a small dent or scrape here or there that I don’t know about or didn’t make the CarFax) and it comes with a clean CA title. Car has 130k miles and is located in Simi Valley, CA.

About the car: Like I said, it’s an ’85 BMW M635CSi, which, for the uninitiated, was the European precursor to the M6 that was sold here in the US, but with about 30 more hp due to higher compression and a couple hundred pounds less fat to throw around because of the lack of the rear A/C unit, among other things. Lots of available info available on the M registry, BigCoupe.com and BimmerForums, if one wanted to learn more about the history of the e24/M635CSi.

The outside: The color is Schwarz (black) and is in terrific shape. It’s most likely a respray, as I can’t imagine the original paint still being in this good condition-wise, and has only minimal blemishes here and there. Car wears the original euro-stripes. Overall I’d call the paint an 8.9/10. There is no rust, as this has been a CA and NV car for all it’s life. There is a small dent about the size of a fist on the right rear way down low beneath the bumper that is hard to capture in pictures, but is there, and the front valence has some curb rash down low. Windows are good, the windshield had a rock chip off to the right side that was filled at some point. Headlights are upgraded Cibie units. Wheels are RH (AC Schnitzer reps) and wear Michelin PS2 tires with 80% or so tread. Car also comes with original TRX rims and tires in excellent shape with 95% tread. These are hard to find.

The inside: The interior is buffalo anthracite, which is also dark, almost black. The front seats were reupholstered by a previous owner in black cow leather which, although beautiful and near-pristine, are not the original buffalo. New owner can decide whether to source new front skins, redo the rears to match, or just drive as-is since both the fronts and backs are in good nick. The carpet is clean, as is the non-saggy headliner. The dash has some cracks, as is common for these cars. Currently wears a dash cover, but in the spirit of full disclosure, this and the rear sun-worn speaker pods are the blemishes in what is otherwise a remarkably clean interior. Car has a Momo/Alpina steering wheel, and will come with an original M-Tech steering wheel too, which could use some love to be perfect. Power seats work well in all the important directions, with the power headrests being the exception. Power windows, locks, sunroof, radio, and OBC are also all in good working order.

The drivetrain: The engine is nearly spotless and in great working order. I have maintenance receipts dating back to 2006, including the top end which I had rebuilt last year by a reputable shop here in the Los Angeles area. This included the timing chain and all related components, sent the head out which came back with a clean bill of health (was not warped or anything) and also a new radiator and some other components. I can scan the work order for interested parties. Valves readjusted within the last 6 months. The transmission shifts smoothly in all gears, and the synchros mesh without a hiccup. Clutch operates smoothly. The rear end was also resealed within the last few months. The exhaust is a SuperSprint unit running without catalytic converters as this car was meant to run. It will not pass CA smog this way. New owner will have to put on cats to pass, unless he/she “knows a guyâ€
Last edited by DCAlbarran on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JCS

m635, can't pass smog.

Post by JCS »

Danny,

I am interested, but as I live in CA.

It must pass smog, before I am willing to make an offer.

Best,
Jay
'88 M6, Red/Tan
My NEW Website https://www.jaysbmwparts.com/
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Gorgeous! Just gorgeous!! =D>
To be sold, it must pass smog while the seller owns it.
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Lovely looking car :D
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

GripGreg wrote:Gorgeous! Just gorgeous!! =D>
Not to a person in Illinois. Crazy California
DCAlbarran

Post by DCAlbarran »

GripGreg wrote:Gorgeous! Just gorgeous!! =D>
Not quite. I bought it without smog and never had to smog it. Cars don't need to be smogged to change hands in CA, but need to be smogged before the new owner can register it, otherwise it'll have to be a PNO (planned non-operation).

If one were to buy a car assuming it'll pass, and it then it doesn't pass, then there's a problem between the new owner and the old one.

I'm just saying up front, it doesn't have catalytic converters, so it won't pass. Options are to register it out of state, or to put cats on it. I just haven't had to cross that bridge yet. New owner may r may not have to.

Thanks for adding to the discussion, though, I had some research to do!
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

YUP! I knew there was a twist in there somewhere.
We love Cal rules,,don't we. :roll:
Good luck with the sale,,,,Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
DCAlbarran

Post by DCAlbarran »

VIN is WBAEE310801050627. Forgot to add that!
BMW187

Post by BMW187 »

DCAlbarran:

Gorgeous Shark!

Was hoping that you might be able to further describe:

1) Which big coupe member you purchased her from? I remember a beautiful black M635 that was listed here by a CA member who was a pilot. It was about a year ago, but I can't seem to find the thread. Is this that vehicle?

2) Can you describe, in broad-brush terms, what you spent the $11k on over the time of your ownership?

3) If you can share, without incriminating yourself, how did you get a CA registration for her without registering her? Is she still titled in the last owners name? If so, how does that work? Don't answer this one if it makes you feel uncomfortable in the least.

I wouldn't describe myself as a serious buyer (not that I wouldn't love to be in a position to be one), but just mostly curious.

Again, GORGEOUS!!
DCAlbarran

Post by DCAlbarran »

BMW187 wrote:DCAlbarran:

Gorgeous Shark!

Was hoping that you might be able to further describe:

1) Which big coupe member you purchased her from? I remember a beautiful black M635 that was listed here by a CA member who was a pilot. It was about a year ago, but I can't seem to find the thread. Is this that vehicle?

2) Can you describe, in broad-brush terms, what you spent the $11k on over the time of your ownership?

3) If you can share, without incriminating yourself, how did you get a CA registration for her without registering her? Is she still titled in the last owners name? If so, how does that work? Don't answer this one if it makes you feel uncomfortable in the least.

I wouldn't describe myself as a serious buyer (not that I wouldn't love to be in a position to be one), but just mostly curious.

Again, GORGEOUS!!
1) I bought it from World Class6, who I don't see around here too often anymore. Drove up to the Bay area and trailered it down

2) When I bought it it was running pretty rough, and it ended up having bad compression on 2 cylinders. Brought it to Bavarian Workshop here in SoCal, and he took the top end apart and rebuilt it, sent the head out for test (didn't need any machining). Replaced all the timing components etc. as well as water pump and radiator. This was to the tune of $9500. New rims and tires set me back about $1400, and then adjusting the valves and the rear end work was another $650 or so. I have the receipts, of course.

3) Smog was by chance. The car was PNO for a year or so before I bought it, and I was hoping to find a guy to let it pass, as I wanted to keep it as close to Euro-spec as possible. I went into AAA to take car of the title, and lo and behold he hands me a set of plates and current registration. Just my lucky day I guess. I have a guy now that will let it through for the purposes of title transfer, but after that you're on your own.

-Danny
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

I find this whole Californian smog thing perplexing, but interesting. It seems that there are regulations, but these can be circumvented - so what's the point? I presume that if you drive over the State Line with a perfectly legal car from another state which would not pass Cal. laws, they won't turn you back - or do they?

I would have thought that there would be concessions for older cars or imports. We certainly have that over here!
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Smog Nazis!!

That is all.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Now I understand completely :lol:
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Pod wrote:I find this whole Californian smog thing perplexing, but interesting. It seems that there are regulations, but these can be circumvented - so what's the point? I presume that if you drive over the State Line with a perfectly legal car from another state which would not pass Cal. laws, they won't turn you back - or do they?

I would have thought that there would be concessions for older cars or imports. We certainly have that over here!

There are, but they make it close to impossible to get a pass. They seem to be driven by the philosophy that all old cars should be crushed, and only those owners that have both deep pockets and deep wells of patience can see the process through and come out with their car(s) safe from the smog nazis.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
JCS

Re: m635, can't pass smog.

Post by JCS »

JCS wrote:Danny,

Best,
Danny,

Here is a horror story from a 535 owner, that relates to bringing gray market cars into California,
Even though he passed smog!
Your story could be even worse, as you did not pass smog, beware!

http://www.firstfives.org/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=244

Best,
Jay
'88 M6, Red/Tan
My NEW Website https://www.jaysbmwparts.com/
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Good luck with the sale.
The car looks sensational. It's a pity you have to sell it after such a short time.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
DCAlbarran

Re: m635, can't pass smog.

Post by DCAlbarran »

JCS wrote:
JCS wrote:Danny,

Best,
Danny,

Here is a horror story from a 535 owner, that relates to bringing gray market cars into California,
Even though he passed smog!
Your story could be even worse, as you did not pass smog, beware!

http://www.firstfives.org/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=244

Best,
The car had cats, passed smog, and was registered in CA for years prior to my ownership. I have no reason to believe it won't pass again with cats, i just don't want to source them/put them on. If I still have it when registration comes due, and have no other choice, of course I'd have to do just that!
DCAlbarran

Post by DCAlbarran »

Got a few requests about original wheels/tires, so here are a couple pictures:

DCAlbarran

Post by DCAlbarran »

Giving a little nudge, Shark Week and all.
DCAlbarran

Post by DCAlbarran »

Edit bump
DCAlbarran

Post by DCAlbarran »

Bump for updated price! $13,700!
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

DCAlbarran wrote:Bump for updated price! $13,700!
Its so sad to see the damage. I think the only way you'll sell the car for any significant sum is to have it repaired.

Just my 2c.
Noct

Post by Noct »

Good luck with the sale man. Was hoping you could advise me on what bulbs to use for blinkers with those clear lenses you've got up front... thanks.
Xman

Post by Xman »

Nice looking car for sure but I agree it will be tougher selling it wrecked.
Noct

Post by Noct »

It is a damn nice car, so yeah it's a shame about the dent but the fact that it's also an M635csi makes it one to be pursued. If you're not in a rush, you'll find the right buyer... but that's usually the way it goes.