Can A Rear Muffler Be Bought "a la Carte"?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

BMWtyro

Can A Rear Muffler Be Bought "a la Carte"?

Post by BMWtyro »

The rear muffler of our '84 633 has rotted off the pipes leading into it from the front. I know that it should be replaced as a unit with the pipes and front muffler, but is a rear-only muffler sold which can instead be clamped/welded to the existing good pipes?

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Try your local Pik-A-Part? Take some measurements with you.
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

Greg,

Here in NC, there are few Sixers in junkyards and fewer still which would have an intact exhaust system . . . but I do appreciate the response.

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

First Jeff, I am not a purist!
Having said that, there may be a muffler from a 7 Series or a 5 Series available. That's why I said to get measurements. We just never know.
Don't restrict yourself.
Good luck,,,,Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

For about $250 you can get a bolt on rear section. It is also possible to go to a local muffler shop and have something put in. Or you can lay on your back taking measurements and hope to find something that can be made to work.

Check mye28 to see if anyone is selling a used rear muffler only in good condition.
Alpina B9 coupe (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B9 sedan (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B6 clone in process (Alpinweiss)
Mini S (had to go: it was Electric Blue)
Rover Disco 1 (Alpine White)
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I would remove the whole rear section and take it in to a muffler shop. They could replicate it for you with new parts.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

Okay; thanks, guys.

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

I agree with Jose` & the Alpina dude.
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

You guys in CA must have a lot better muffler shops that we have in MD. I have been to 3 shops and only 1 says they can "fabricate" a system for my car. The shop that says they can do it says it will cost $1500 and will be quite loud. They will have to combine my pipes into one 3" pipe and then use a small rear muffler with dual outlets. I said no thank you and am still trying to source the OEM parts out of Germany. If this proves to be impossible I will probably go with a ful Supersprint system that is designed to fit my car without any "fabrication".

Good luck, Jeff.
Da_Hose wrote:I would remove the whole rear section and take it in to a muffler shop. They could replicate it for you with new parts.

Jose
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Holy crap, Randall. I could see a price tag like that for a custom made, tig welded, polished SS pipe.

A rear section with stock-ish muffler would probably run me around $450. I got a quote for a complete exhaust with H-crossover, dual muffler and dual outputs put on my RV for about $650.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

a suggestion; could it make sense for someone who lives near a good muffler shop to get a rear box/system built and then ship it?

I must say Jose has some good prices there.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

Sometimes . . . the most obvious solution is right under my nose . . . and I don't see it . . . or is it?

I had removed the rear muffler altogether so that it would not literally fall off, yet the car could be driven (windows wide-open, of course, as the exhaust now terminated three feet forward). Last night I rode in the car for the first time . . . and realized that it actually sounds pretty good that way, and would sound better still if the pipes were simply extended rearward to the usual exit point. Of course, I figured this out after already ordering a cheap new Bosal muffler system . . . natch.

Idea: why not do the above now and enjoy the mellow exhaust note (at least for a while) . . . and save the new system for later when something truly catastrophic befalls the exhaust? I'm certain that it will become very difficult/costly to purchase these parts in the not-too-distant future, and I don't really relish the thought of a local muffler shop hacking-away at this car.

The car neither seems to run hotter nor to scavenge excessively as it is. So: is there any downside to this plan which I am not seeing? What say you, BigCoupe brain trust?

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Try goggling 'Anzamufflers.com'.
I had this system on my '67 911S, and my '73 2002 & was happy.
Not sure of the prices.
Good luck,,,,Greg
Ps,,Go to a locally recommended Mom & Pop muffler shop. Not Midas!!!!!
Last edited by GripGreg on Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Well Brucey, the tricky part would be getting a system to me that I could have patterned.

Does everyone realize that a stainless cat back system can be had from Ireland Engineering for $495? IE makes GREAT stuff. If I had a non-M, I would want that system.

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E28-E24 ... tback.html

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

While I in NO way wish to impugn the integrity of anyone on the Big Coupe board, I had personal experience w/an IE exhaust system, which is (supposedly) bolt on. In a phrase, it-was-not. The good news for me was, the installation was done by one bud, for another bud, who was owed a favor and had exhaust pipe bending tools & mad skillz. Tha unit would have driven anyone lying on their back on a crawler, NUTZ! It wasn't waaaaaay off, just enough to make installation impossible.

The sound IS very satisfying.

Phillip

PS I know of two other folks who had similar experiences w/the same units.
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
Ireland stainless exhaust
Upper & lower control arms
New tie rod kit
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

Da_Hose wrote:Well Brucey, the tricky part would be getting a system to me that I could have patterned.

Does everyone realize that a stainless cat back system can be had from Ireland Engineering for $495? IE makes GREAT stuff. If I had a non-M, I would want that system.

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E28-E24 ... tback.html

Jose
I sure wish IE made something for my car. I'm looking at almost $2K for a Supersprint system if I strike out getting the OEM units. Local muffler shops have been no help. I emailed Magnaflow to see if they could help me select components that would fit and I never even get a reply.
BORN2RUN

Post by BORN2RUN »

There are plenty of rear mufflers on Ebay for sale, from Ansa to Walker...
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

BORN2RUN wrote:There are plenty of rear mufflers on Ebay for sale, from Ansa to Walker...
Nothing that will fit a Euro M car.
JoelR

Re: Can A Rear Muffler Be Bought "a la Carte"?

Post by JoelR »

Does anyone know what makes the rear muffler from an 85 635 (US) different from the 83 633 (US)? I can find a variety of mufflers that claim compatibility with the former but next to nothing for the latter. I am guessing that the tail pipes are slightly larger diameter on the 635 based on the chrome tips that I looked at.

The local muffler shop offered to do a single-in/single-out setup, but this doesn't seem like a great alternative. Last year they installed twin glass packs in place of my center box.

Joel
1983 633CSi 5-speed Black & Tan
2008 X5 4.8i
2004 MINI Cooper S 6-speed
2001 Z3 3.0i 5-speed
DFW Texas
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Well, on my 81 euro, the rear bumper skirt/airdam, has the cut out for the pipes off center to the left. Thusly the tips exit left of center and are angled to the left. I am not sure of any other differences other than the euro uses 2” pipes
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

OK people, don't laugh! When I bought my '81 many years ago the rear muffler was complete rusted out. I didn't want to spend money on a new exhaust so a local muffler shop adapted a John Deere tractor muffler to it by combining both tubes into the single in and single out muffler. If I remember right even the origi al hanger fit and the sound was pretty plesant. Only thing missing was the chrome tip and I think I didn't pay much more then $75 for parts and labor. Looking at some parts lists AR26640 looks about right.
I am running a stainless IE system now, designed for E28 based chassis, adaptation to my E12 based chassis was actually easy and took less then 1 hour, overall fit was actually fine, just needed to relocate some hangers and make room for a bigger Magnaflow cat.

Klaus
Soobcollektor

Post by Soobcollektor »

If anyone is interested I have a brand new complete walker rear muffler and silencer assembly for an 85 635csi that id sell...pm me I want it out of my garage lol

Tim