New Radiator

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

JoelR

New Radiator

Post by JoelR »

The new Behr radiator arrived today, and I thought I would inspect before installing it. I noticed that there are wavy plastic pieces tucked into the cooling tubes. It seems like this would limit the flow through the tubes, but maybe they are there to create some sort of swirl in the tube or maybe prevent cavitation?

I had never actually looked inside of a "modern" radiator before, so this may be completely normal.

Will be tackling the installation of this, the water pump, and some hoses this weekend. I'm really tired of the coolant leaks that keep cropping up on this old beast.
1983 633CSi 5-speed Black & Tan
2008 X5 4.8i
2004 MINI Cooper S 6-speed
2001 Z3 3.0i 5-speed
DFW Texas
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Behrs and Nissens have the spiral inserts to promote better heat transfer. I wouldn't doubt the BMW units are similar.

Due to the system pressure, fixing one leak will inevitably lead to a leak at the next weak spot. That's the reason why the entire system should be overhauled together. Coolant is not cheap!!

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)