Carfax still needed....Never Mind

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

bcadmin

Carfax still needed....Never Mind

Post by bcadmin »

Help the admin out...

:wink:
Brian F

Bimmerless :0(

------ Former Stable -----
E31 840ci
1990 525i
1984 Graphite M635
1985 Polaris M635
1987 L6
1980 633csi
gaspump

Post by gaspump »

As a admin, you should know the rules. Geeeeze.
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Mr. Gaspump sir; kindly explain yourself? :-k
He's not buying or selling, he's asking a favor, which I would do except for my budget. :-?
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
gaspump

Post by gaspump »

Many, if not all the car sites I visit have a rule against doing this. Their thinking is that if everyone does get free reports, then how does the company that did the ground work make any profit. He should pay his whopping 15 dollars and do like others do, they PAY for the report. He could do the ethical thing, or maybe not.
bfons

Post by bfons »

Well I certainly do not want to piss off the Ethics Patrolman. I've canceled my request

Although please send me the link for the $15 Carfax. I would LOVE to hop on that deal!
Brian

-----------------------
1984 Graphite M635 - Project Graphite - Sold
1985 Polaris M635 - Polaris - Sold
1987 L6 Black/Lotus White - My Queen has a new home
1980 633csi - Gone but not forgotten
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

bfons wrote:Although please send me the link for the $15 Carfax. I would LOVE to hop on that deal!
You and me both, Brian. It's $15 per Carfax AFTER you pay the $20 membership fee. And that's only good for a month.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

So, Mr, Gaspump, do you mean that if I buy my month's worth of carfax,
it's mine to use again & again as long as no-one else is involved?
Seems to me that it's mine to use any way I want. :-k I buy it, it's mine!
Isn't that the chance a business takes?
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
mojocoggo

Post by mojocoggo »

Just use AutoCheck. It's just as inaccurate and it's $40 for unlimited reports for a month.
BlackShark6

Post by BlackShark6 »

if you use ebaymotors to sell a car it will provide a free autocheck and then you can cancel the listing, i used it once to autocheck a euro e23 it worked, ebay will give you a couple free listing promos so it wont cost anything either if you have the free listing promo, i hope its not too late i been out of the country for 3 weeks and just saw this, never seen so many euros daily before, mostly 3 and 5, mostly dirty, couple clean and tuned, saw one six at a rental car, anyway cheers, nice to be back, and my buddy just gave me a tip on a gutted 6, see what happens, must break the 6less streak been about 7yrs now...
89' 325i cabrio(r.i.p @ 250k+) blue/tan blacktop
85' 635 CSi (hit @ 72k) Blk/blk 5sp(garaged)
82' 733i (sold to hollywood @ 300k+ )blk/brwn
99' 528i ACSchnitzer ext.(sold 103k orig owner) silver/grey 5sp
97' 540i/6 (sold) blue/blk 6sp
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

OK, here is my take.

When you buy a shop manual do you refuse to share that information when someone needs help? When you buy a diagnostic tool do you refuse to scan your friend's car or refuse to reset their warning light?

Some of us on this forum have shared printed resources that CANNOT be found anywhere else. I could not have rebuilt my M6 without the help and resources of others who are professional mechanics. They shared their resources and expertise and I am extremely grateful. I repay that kindness by helping others.

The Carfax terms of use are explicit about commercial redistribution, but there is NO restriction on you giving information to a friend for personal use. In other words, if I have a Carfax account it is 100% within my rights as a purchaser of that service to do searches for anyone I choose, so long as it is not for commercial purposes (like a car dealer using it as a sales tool). If you have some kind of moral issue with this kind of usage that's your own problem and not something any of us here should be worried about.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

That's what I said, only a little more eloquently! =D>
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
LandShark

Post by LandShark »

Might I ask what your trying to carfax? I dont think it gives any accurate results for vehicles before 1990. I had one of those one month unlimited deals and had fun running VINs at a grocery store parking lot.
Karmann, German for extra rusty.
gaspump

Post by gaspump »

Well, sumbitch, I was off course. If they have a month long limit, I guess it's ok to use as you like. I was thinking only for commercial use. The shop manual reference is a good one. I don't know why some sites treat a request like a death notice, but oh well. Now, can anyone check out a vin # I need info on?
bcadmin

Post by bcadmin »

LandShark wrote:Might I ask what your trying to carfax? I dont think it gives any accurate results for vehicles before 1990. I had one of those one month unlimited deals and had fun running VINs at a grocery store parking lot.
I bought a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee for off-roading
Brian F

Bimmerless :0(

------ Former Stable -----
E31 840ci
1990 525i
1984 Graphite M635
1985 Polaris M635
1987 L6
1980 633csi