1984 633CSi Rises again!

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

New BBS Wheels for the CSi

Post by songzunhuang »

I got my new wheels home this evening and the sun was going down. I quickly scrubbed all the wheels off (amazing how much brake dust is inside the wheels!). By the time I finished scrubbing it was starting to get a bit dim.

However, I had enough time to slap on one of the wheels and here is the picture below. Tomorrow I'll get the rest of the wheels installed.
Attachments
Oh yes, the new wheels are just as good as I imagined. What are these style wheels called anyway?
Oh yes, the new wheels are just as good as I imagined. What are these style wheels called anyway?
WheelNewOn.jpeg (123.88 KiB) Viewed 11158 times
Old wheel on the car and new wheels standing by. This will be the last picture with the period correct wheels for quite some time.
Old wheel on the car and new wheels standing by. This will be the last picture with the period correct wheels for quite some time.
WheelOldy.jpeg (158.03 KiB) Viewed 11158 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to the future - the story with license plates

Post by songzunhuang »

Today was a momentous day! After owning the 633 for about a month, I finally put on the valid registration so that I can drive the car on the streets of California. Now, I wanted to enjoy the moment.

I saw that there had been a lot of registration stickers placed on the car, but my goal was to reveal the very first one that was ever placed on the car. As it is a 1984 model, that would mean that I was going for the 1985 registration sticker. I carefully peeled away 30 years of stickers, layer by layer.

What color would the final layer be? As it turns out, it was white. Today, the sticker i was putting on the car was yellow. It matched the plates quite well. So I create a picture of the license plate in it's original configuration and then how it is going to be be now.

I thought it was cool.
Attachments
The stick in 1985 was a white color. Today's is yellow and perfectly matches the blue and yellow license plate. She rides again.
The stick in 1985 was a white color. Today's is yellow and perfectly matches the blue and yellow license plate. She rides again.
THE Plate.jpeg (143.99 KiB) Viewed 11132 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Is the front of the car sitting high?

Post by songzunhuang »

I placed new 16" wheels on my car today. When I stepped back and took a profile shot, it appeared to me that the front end was sitting too high. I don't see how the changing of wheels and tires could do that, but you never know.

Take a look. Does this look right?
Attachments
Is the front of my car a bit high?
Is the front of my car a bit high?
Sitting high.jpeg (99.09 KiB) Viewed 11110 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Did you drive it after changing wheels/tires? If you just put them on and dropped it to the ground, the suspension hasn't settle yet. Drive it and then look at it.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

A good or a bad day? - You be the judge.

Post by songzunhuang »

Today I decided to replace the radiator and the water pump on my car. Should have been about a 2-3 hour job right? Well you know how these things go.

It started off ok and I got all the parts off the car and when it was time to reassemble, I didn't have any gasket sealant so I was going to have to make a run to the auto parts store. I thought, while I am at it, why don't I look into getting the SI board batteries fixed and also install that new odometer gear I ordered? So began the trip down the slippery slope.

So at the end of 11 hours, where are we?
1. The Nissens radiator and Airtex waterpump is in and appears to be working quite well. I busted one of the gears on the alternator adjustment screw. I didn't realize I had to loosen the nut on the other side first. :( Of course I couldn't put back in those rust parts! I refinished the waterpump pulley and a lot of other bits.

2. I replaced the odometer gears. It was HARD. The odometer cluster's clear cover had a PC board mounted on it and I had to desolder a board before I could remove the clear cover. I had to drill out the tiny gear since I couldn't get the brass thing off the spindle. Major PIA. The odometer still doesn't work.

3. Replaced the SI Board batteries. Fixed up the botched job by batteries plus. Instrument cluster still doesn't work. In the process, I somehow lost my fuel gauge. :(

Two steps forward - two steps back. Kinda bummed.
Attachments
My PIA odometer gears. After Drilled out the gear, de-soldered the board to get cover off. Still doesn't work.
My PIA odometer gears. After Drilled out the gear, de-soldered the board to get cover off. Still doesn't work.
Sppedo Gear.jpeg (81.25 KiB) Viewed 11072 times
New Nissens radiator in. This part of the project went well.
New Nissens radiator in. This part of the project went well.
New Radiaotor.jpeg (148.35 KiB) Viewed 11072 times
The new water pump is so pretty. it's a shame to cover it all up after re-assembly.
The new water pump is so pretty. it's a shame to cover it all up after re-assembly.
Waterpump.jpeg (104.96 KiB) Viewed 11072 times
I used some lead wires from a PC harddrive cable to wire up the batteries. In the end, the board still didn't work.
I used some lead wires from a PC harddrive cable to wire up the batteries. In the end, the board still didn't work.
Remote Battery.jpeg (175.87 KiB) Viewed 11073 times
Last edited by songzunhuang on Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

hornhospital wrote:Did you drive it after changing wheels/tires? If you just put them on and dropped it to the ground, the suspension hasn't settle yet. Drive it and then look at it.
You know I thought of that. I'll take another shot after I drive it around a bit. I should be able to do that today. Thanks for making me think a bit more.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
jeebus

Post by jeebus »

songzunhuang wrote:
hornhospital wrote:Did you drive it after changing wheels/tires? If you just put them on and dropped it to the ground, the suspension hasn't settle yet. Drive it and then look at it.
You know I thought of that. I'll take another shot after I drive it around a bit. I should be able to do that today. Thanks for making me think a bit more.
Your front end looked higher than your rear end to begin with. Whenever you throw bigger wheels with shorter tires on, it exacerbates any wheel gap...it's all a sort of visual deception but still.

Based on all the other issues you are working on, I assume your suspension is shot anyway...time to upgrade. :mrgreen:
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

jeebus wrote:
songzunhuang wrote:
Your front end looked higher than your rear end to begin with. Whenever you throw bigger wheels with shorter tires on, it exacerbates any wheel gap...it's all a sort of visual deception but still.

Based on all the other issues you are working on, I assume your suspension is shot anyway...time to upgrade. :mrgreen:
Haha, that's not far from the truth. It seems like if is can be broken, it is broken! I'm sorting through all the bits. It'll be a while, but it's a labor of love. That's what I keep telling myself.

Today did mark an important event. I drove my sister-in-law to the drugstore in the Beemer, broken dashes and all. It made the trip without skipping a beat.

It sure looked nice with new wheels and the evening light.
Attachments
You wouldn't know all the problems this car has by looking at this picture... LOL!
You wouldn't know all the problems this car has by looking at this picture... LOL!
Sitting Pretty.jpeg (121.78 KiB) Viewed 11301 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Labor Day Weekend Projects

Post by songzunhuang »

This long weekend was filled with things done to the car.

1. A new Nissens Radiator was installed along with proper hose and a flush.

2. A new Airtex water pump was installed along with proper hose.

3. The sunroof was fixed. Yea!

4. The Sunroof headliner was refastened.

5. Various rusty parts were refinished.

6. New batteries installed in SI board. Didn't fix anything.

7. New odometer gear installed. Still doesn't work.

8. Cleaned up one of the rear pods.

So it was a pretty good few days.
One observation though. Did BMW choose a batch of cloth trim that disintegrates over time? It seems that I have come across so many pieces of fabric that literally turned to dust when I contacted them. The cloth under the headliner in the sunroof was one of these. Also the fabric wraps around wires in the engine compartment. They all just turn to dust!
Attachments
My remote battery setup for the SI board. It didn't fix anything. Dang.
My remote battery setup for the SI board. It didn't fix anything. Dang.
Remote Battery.jpeg (175.87 KiB) Viewed 11299 times
New odometer gear. Big pain in the butt to install! I had to drill out that tiny nylon gear.
New odometer gear. Big pain in the butt to install! I had to drill out that tiny nylon gear.
Sppedo Gear.jpeg (81.25 KiB) Viewed 11299 times
Roof liner refastened using rude industrial contact cement.
Roof liner refastened using rude industrial contact cement.
rubber cement.jpeg (74.08 KiB) Viewed 11299 times
New water pump. It's so shiny and pretty!
New water pump. It's so shiny and pretty!
Waterpump.jpeg (104.96 KiB) Viewed 11299 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

New steering wheel off eBay. Major score!

Post by songzunhuang »

So I was faced with an old steering wheel with the leather hanging off and worn through in parts. Try as I might, the only suggestions were to get a wheelskin kit and sew it on. Yuck, those don't look anywhere like factory.

I decided to check out eBay and saw an identical wheel. The leather around it looked great in the pictures. So I placed a bid and I won! For only $35 I got a replacement wheel with near perfect leather! I am so stoked.

The steering wheel is one of those things you have to stare at all the time and having a ratty one was just annoying. About 5 minutes of work to replace and I have a new wheel!
Attachments
Every once in a while you totally luck out. I got a new wheel wit perfect leather to replace my unsightly mess. Perfect!
Every once in a while you totally luck out. I got a new wheel wit perfect leather to replace my unsightly mess. Perfect!
Steeringwheel.jpeg (52.22 KiB) Viewed 11263 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

If it's a course spline wheel, great! Do you have the snap in hub cover?
Remember to clean it often? :wink:
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

GripGreg wrote:If it's a course spline wheel
Do you mean coarse, Greg?
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

OOH, YEAH! Not what you drive on! Ya got me. :roll:
My humanism popped up again. :wink:
Thanx,,,,Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

GripGreg wrote:If it's a course spline wheel, great! Do you have the snap in hub cover?
Remember to clean it often? :wink:
Yes, I just took the snap in cover off my existing wheel. It was in great condition, unlike the rest of the wheel.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fixing the Heater Fan

Post by songzunhuang »

Today I tackled quite a few items, starting with the heater fan that won't do anything but blow full blast. Thanks to this forum, I was pretty sure it was the power transistor. So I started to take it all apart. Here's a few pictures.

Hint: have a stubby screwdriver handy!

There were signs of a rodents nest in my fan. Bits of paper, hair and other nasty things had to be cleaned out. This took me a bit longer than I expected as I also had to make 2 runs to the the Radio Shack.

I'm happy to say that this has a very good result. My fan works very well and is fully adjustable as I had hoped. Now I'll be able to commute reliably on cold mornings.
Attachments
Here's my fan before I put the black covers back on. You can see the transistor assembly in the top left.
Here's my fan before I put the black covers back on. You can see the transistor assembly in the top left.
Squirrel Cage in.jpeg (104.16 KiB) Viewed 11173 times
You really need a STUBBY screwdriver to fit in this space. I went and bought a set just for this project.
You really need a STUBBY screwdriver to fit in this space. I went and bought a set just for this project.
Stubby driver.jpeg (64.42 KiB) Viewed 11173 times
Not a bad soldering job if I do say so myself!
Not a bad soldering job if I do say so myself!
NewTransistor solderin.jpeg (95.07 KiB) Viewed 11173 times
Here's the assembly with the new transistor next to the old.
Here's the assembly with the new transistor next to the old.
New Transistor.jpeg (120.85 KiB) Viewed 11173 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I need a working On Board Computer!

Post by songzunhuang »

That non working OBC has been bugging me for a long time. I really want it to work and I decided to tackle this project next. My reading told me that it was a fuse that was probably the cause. Yeah, yea - I know now that the fuse isn't in the OBC, but I didn't know it when I began.

Luckily for me, I took apart the center console to get to to the OBC because I discovered a not-so-nice surprise. Now I know that there were rodents in the car during it's half-decade hibernation. I found the carcass of a dessicated rat! It made my heart jump and grossed me out a bit. But I am glad i cleaned it out and vacuumed up all the fur. I had seen bits of fur in the car and I am glad I got rid of it. I wonder why the heck the rat died in the console...

But I digress! After taking apart the OBC and discovering that there wasn't a fuse in it, I did a bit more research and realized that the early models didn't have it in the OBC, but in the computer itself under the dash. I quickly removed the module, cracked it open and made another Radio shack run.

I am super excited to say that the OBC is now working! Yea! Now I just need to poke around and figure out how I am supposed to use it. Also, I think my lamp for night use is dead. I'll have to scarf that up tomorrow. By the time I got it working, it was dark. My car is in pieces but i'll have to deal with this tomorrow. I can't see.
Attachments
So excited that the OBC in my car is alive and well. I'm looking forward to all the functionality that it'll bring.
So excited that the OBC in my car is alive and well. I'm looking forward to all the functionality that it'll bring.
OBC Lives.jpeg (27.56 KiB) Viewed 11081 times
The optic fibers picking up the glow of the light bulb (if it worked) will be cool.
The optic fibers picking up the glow of the light bulb (if it worked) will be cool.
OBCinside.jpeg (82.65 KiB) Viewed 11081 times
Here's me cracking open the OBC only to discover that there are no fuses in it!
Here's me cracking open the OBC only to discover that there are no fuses in it!
OBCOutside.jpeg (67.39 KiB) Viewed 11081 times
A petrified rat carcass anyone? This was really gross. I am glad I found it and will clean all around the car. So yucky.
A petrified rat carcass anyone? This was really gross. I am glad I found it and will clean all around the car. So yucky.
DessicatedRate.jpeg (144.48 KiB) Viewed 11081 times
Last edited by songzunhuang on Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

You must've been the last 'Shack customer!
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

For cloth wrap for wire bundles, look at Tesa tape. See company site for selection and buy on eBay. You DON'T want to use sticky electrical tape!
Sansouci
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

sansouci wrote:For cloth wrap for wire bundles, look at Tesa tape. See company site for selection and buy on eBay. You DON'T want to use sticky electrical tape!
I got some of that kind of tape at the autp store. It's not sticky but fuses to itself when wrapped correct? I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet, but I'll get to it soon.

Now, I need to plug the hole in the firewall that was the entrance for the rat. Does anyone know the part number for that or even what it is called so I can search for it?
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

I'll bet a picture is still worth a thousand words. :wink:
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here are my thousand words - represented by a picture

Post by songzunhuang »

GripGreg wrote:I'll bet a picture is still worth a thousand words. :wink:
Yes, I agree that a picture is the best thing. I literally just ran out to the car and took this picture based on your suggestion. I really want these holes plugged up. No more rodents!

The pedal in the picture is the brake pedal. This picture was taken kneeling down from the driver footwell. (USA car). You can see that the carpet by the lower hole is gnawed into an unusual arc. This was the entry for the rodent. I need this plugged! Thanks for any leads.
Attachments
Where can I order these two plugs for the firewall?
Where can I order these two plugs for the firewall?
BRake Pedal.jpeg (87.69 KiB) Viewed 11411 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

September 20, 2015 - a special day for the car

Post by songzunhuang »

So today was one of those days that was frustrating as hell, but also ended up nicely. I got so much done today, but was hindered by 4 runs to the Auto parts store! I spent way too much time reassembling the center console. I kept find burned out bulbs and had to run to the store to get 2721 12V 1.2W bulbs. It was so annoying.

So what did I accomplish?
1. Replaced bulb for ashtray area.
2. Replaced bulbs for climate controls. (left and right sides).
3. Replaced bulb for OBC - highway robbery at $23.50 for one bulb!
4. Assembled console.
5. Got A/C working!
6. Partial fix for rust on quarter panel.

Did you see #3? Yup, I first tried a $3.99 part from O'Reily auto parts but it didn't fit. The bulb was too tall and the base was too thin. This is the bulb that is soldered into the black baseI went to another auto store and they had a bulb that was supposed to be for a Mercedes, but guess what? It fit perfectly, but had a blue base. They wanted $21 + tax! It sucked but I wasn't going to go through all the trouble of taking that OBC out again. So I paid the king's ransom.

The good news is that I was able to get everything working again! Yea! The first picture below is my happy picture. All the lights working and even most of the instruments in the cluster are functional now. Feels good.

The other pics are me attacking the rust bubbles I saw forming. As someone has said in the forum, it's always rustier than you think. When I started digging, I discovered that this had been repaired (badly) before and there was plastic filler. I proceeded to grind out and steel brush all the rust and the hole just got bigger and bigger! I could poke a screwdriver through the fender and into the wheel well. In any case, I did some "Emergency repairs" as it was getting dark. When I couldn't see so well anymore, I shot a quick coat of primer on it to protect the area. I'll return to this next weekend.
Attachments
Dang those rust bubbles turned into huge holes!
Dang those rust bubbles turned into huge holes!
Rust2.jpeg (126.02 KiB) Viewed 11405 times
The rust bubbles seem to be growing. I'm going to take care of it now...
The rust bubbles seem to be growing. I'm going to take care of it now...
Rust1.jpeg (90.69 KiB) Viewed 11405 times
This picture makes me happy. Note that all cluster gauges (except the economy thing) are working! Also, all lights (including the OBC) are working now! Finally, my A/C works as well, It's been a good day overall.
This picture makes me happy. Note that all cluster gauges (except the economy thing) are working! Also, all lights (including the OBC) are working now! Finally, my A/C works as well, It's been a good day overall.
Special Picture.jpeg (89.7 KiB) Viewed 11405 times
Rough sanding and a quick primer coat will have to hold as it's getting dark and I can't get to this until next weekend.
Rough sanding and a quick primer coat will have to hold as it's getting dark and I can't get to this until next weekend.
Rust3.jpeg (75.5 KiB) Viewed 11406 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Busy, busy, busy! That's my fav steering wheel! =D>
Please don't forget to clean & feed it some food.
People tend to forget the wheel, upholstery & dashboard.
The dashboard is probably covered in vinyl like the door covers are.
I clean & feed mine about once a month or when it feels a little sticky.
I use Griot's Leather Rejuvenator from online. (Griot's.com)
Your seats look like leather too.
Great job. Curtis Mayfield sang "Keep On Pushin",,,,Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Tesa is non stick. You tuck the start point into the wire bundle and go from there. The tail end can get tucked or a bit of electrical tape to tidy the end. The original wire insulation gets toasted after 30 years in the engine compartment and you dont want to mess with it if possible.
Sansouci
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

GripGreg wrote:Busy, busy, busy! That's my fav steering wheel! =D>
Please don't forget to clean & feed it some food.
People tend to forget the wheel, upholstery & dashboard.
The dashboard is probably covered in vinyl like the door covers are.
I clean & feed mine about once a month or when it feels a little sticky.
I use Griot's Leather Rejuvenator from online. (Griot's.com)
Your seats look like leather too.
Great job. Curtis Mayfield sang "Keep On Pushin",,,,Greg
Yup, I've gone through almost 3/4 a bottle of the Groits Leather Rejuvenator and the hides are much better than when I found it. The interior is looking better although it still needs attention. I got this speed stitch awl and some heavy duty coated thread to attack some of the splitting seams I have.

My Dash has seen better days. I may need to look into some options there. Been fascinated with the people who refinish and also some who recover. Interesting...
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi