1984 633CSi Rises again!

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It had to happen. First tow

Post by songzunhuang »

I haven't had to have a car towed in over 25 years. That all changed today with the e24. As I was driving home from work over a mountain road, the motor just stopped running and I coasted to a stop on the side of a narrow freeway. It was quite a precarious position.

I think my fuel pump died. When I turn the key, I can't hear it anymore. It used to be a bit loud.

So it looks like a weekend full of fuel system troubleshooting. I hope it's just the fuel pump. The fuse #11 (15A) looks fine. Anything else I should check?

I have ordered a new pressure regulator and some more fuel lines for good measure.
Attachments
Not the kind of ride home I was hoping for.
Not the kind of ride home I was hoping for.
IMG_4945-2.JPG (197.42 KiB) Viewed 11760 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

If you have a choice, flat bedding is the way to go.
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No choice in the tow.

Post by songzunhuang »

sansouci wrote:If you have a choice, flat bedding is the way to go.
Although I appreciate the tip, there wasn't much of a choice. The tow driver did an excellent job though. My car was positioned on a narrow mountain freeway with little room to maneuver. The driver first towed my car by lifting the front wheels. He then told me that for an auto Beemer, he would prefer to tow on the front wheels because there's much less chance for damage.

He pulled my car to the next exit off the mountain freeway and then found a open space. He dropped the car and then re-positioned the tow truck to lift the rear wheels and towed on the front (the picture above).

I was really impressed by how pleasant and knowledgeable he was. He also gave me a break on the tow. Although he spent 2 hours, he billed me for less than 1 hour. Sweet! (It may have something to do with the fact that it took him almost 1/2 hour to find me on the freeway and he called me 3 times...
Last edited by songzunhuang on Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

On the road again!

Post by songzunhuang »

Spent most of today checking over the various systems in the car. I came across a most excellent website for troubleshooting our cars. http://www.hiperformancestore.com/Motronic.htm

Ultimately it took 4 hours to track down the fact that it was a disintegrated distributor rotor! I had thought it was a fuel issue and spent time and part replacing and checking the fuel system.

At the end of the day, I changed the following:
  • Fuel Pressure regulator
    Fuel Pump
    Fuel lines
    Breather hose
    Distributor Cap
    Distributor rotor
    Main relay
I also checked the fuel pump and main relays, tested the speed and reference sensors, coil, fuel injectors, vacuum lines, tested fuel pressure and all the grounds.

I sure felt good to get the car running again. I immediately drove it to my favorite Chinese restaurant and picked up a dinner ToGo. I was too dirty to eat at the restaurant. Lol!
Attachments
A full engine shot! this is the first I have taken. Notice that the engine is running! The new distributor cap and rotor is in place.
A full engine shot! this is the first I have taken. Notice that the engine is running! The new distributor cap and rotor is in place.
Engine.png (1.66 MiB) Viewed 11694 times
My original breather hose (top one) had all kinds of cracks and splits. Maybe that's why the cold idle was so crappy.
My original breather hose (top one) had all kinds of cracks and splits. Maybe that's why the cold idle was so crappy.
Breather.png (1.56 MiB) Viewed 11694 times
This was my distributor rotor Yea, I think we found the problem. A new rotor and distributor cap was installed for good measure.
This was my distributor rotor Yea, I think we found the problem. A new rotor and distributor cap was installed for good measure.
Rotor.png (998.55 KiB) Viewed 11694 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The fun never stops - Brake Bomb

Post by songzunhuang »

Today I was quite happy to get my Brake bomb changed! I read and re-read all of the tutorials on this site and they really helped. I learned a few things that I want to share with the group.

1) The crowfoot 19mm was the only one I needed. I got a set at Harbor Freight for like $10. Well worth it! I had to use this with a breaker bar. Picture below.
2) I also got the flare end wrenches from Harbor Freight. Again only about $15 for a set and well worth it.
3) I got a chain strap wrench from Harbor Freight. This does not work. The links are set such that you cannot get a good grip on the bomb. I ended up going to my neighbor (who has scads of tools) to help me get the bomb off.
4) You will need a BIG vise. Mine didn't work and I had to goto my neighbor and borrow his huge bench vise.

After the repair, I understand all the tips about which lines to do in which order and why. This job is a bit of a PITA.

It was great to see the fluid suck down as described after I swapped my bomb. I took it for a test drive and it was GREAT not to see the quick flash of the brake light on the dash. Also, the brakes felt a lot better, progressive and not hard.

Only one problem. After the test drive I stopped the car, took the cap off the reservoir to check the level by pumping the brakes. I saw a lot of air bubbles form. What does this mean? Am I in for more pain?
Attachments
New bomb from AutohausAZ with o-ring about to go into the regulator.
New bomb from AutohausAZ with o-ring about to go into the regulator.
Bomb1.png (1.52 MiB) Viewed 11642 times
Here are all the lines clearly marked. 1 = 12mm, 2=17mm, 3&4 = 19mm. The bomb and regular assembly has been removed here. It's a tight fit.
Here are all the lines clearly marked. 1 = 12mm, 2=17mm, 3&4 = 19mm. The bomb and regular assembly has been removed here. It's a tight fit.
Bomb2.png (1.43 MiB) Viewed 11642 times
Here's the 19mm crowfoot being used with a breaker bar. I wasn't sure how or where I would need it, but it was surely needed here!
Here's the 19mm crowfoot being used with a breaker bar. I wasn't sure how or where I would need it, but it was surely needed here!
Bomb3.png (1.36 MiB) Viewed 11642 times
Somewhere beneath all that stuff is the brake bomb! Time to disassemble stuff.
Somewhere beneath all that stuff is the brake bomb! Time to disassemble stuff.
Bomb4.png (1.43 MiB) Viewed 11642 times
Last edited by songzunhuang on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Great job. Now check/ change all the flexible or rubber lines that go to the regulator. They are old based on some of your other pics.
Sansouci
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

sansouci wrote:Great job. Now check/ change all the flexible or rubber lines that go to the regulator. They are old based on some of your other pics.
Hey thanks, I am slowly getting the bugs worked out. Today was another one of those days where I get a few things accomplished, but them had a step back.

I'm still working my way through all the fuel lines and I'll be getting to the other rubber hoses and such in due time. I'm trying to get a bit of a break...

I must say, the braking performance is much better since yesterday's bomb replacement.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Another almost great day!

Post by songzunhuang »

Today I decided to attack the valve adjustment. My engine seemed a little "tappy" and I wanted to see if the valves were the reason why. It's a good thing that I did this today as I discovered that one of my banjo bolts for the oil lines was completely out! It was sitting in the oil return area. This meant a trip to the auto store to get some Loctite blue. While I was there, I picked up some new NGK plugs for good measure.

Also, I used a Victor Reinz gasket that has a nice bead of a red rubber like material. It seems to me like a great part. I was getting a bit of seepage before but I think this will seal it right up.

After the valve adjustment, the car didn't sound a whole lot quieter. I guess when I drive it next week to work, I'll see if it feels any different. I will say, using the service port pins 11 & 14 to turn the motor is a brilliant way to do the valve adjustment. It makes it so much easier.

Also today, I decided to clean up the valve cover. This operation took 2 hours and I don't know if it was worth it. The cover looks nice, but after i put all of the bits back on, it's mostly covered! I also cleaned up and painted the rails supporting the intake manifold to the valve cover.

Finally, I had taken out the instrument cluster to clean up the connection and solder joints since my instruments are still pretty much all wonky. After a lot of work, I can't say that it's a whole lot better. It looks like my speedo and tach are back and also my fuel gauge is working as before. I lost the temp gauge and the economy meter and SI lights are still all wrong. I am thinking of taking the whole thing to Palo Alto Speedometer shop to have them just overhaul the whole thing. I've spent too many hours on the panel.

All in all, a pretty good day. I didn't get to my fuel line and sunroof panel liner because I ran out of time. Oh well, there's always next weekend.
Attachments
All put back together. I painted the manifold support and also spent hours cleaning up the valve cover - which you mostly can't see. Oh well.
All put back together. I painted the manifold support and also spent hours cleaning up the valve cover - which you mostly can't see. Oh well.
Engine Done.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 11602 times
Before and after. I used a wire brush on a drill, a sanding ball, sandpaper and a white polish material with a buffer. It tool 2 hours and it's not as shiny as I wanted. Oh well, I ran out of time and needed to get the car back together.
Before and after. I used a wire brush on a drill, a sanding ball, sandpaper and a white polish material with a buffer. It tool 2 hours and it's not as shiny as I wanted. Oh well, I ran out of time and needed to get the car back together.
Valvecleanup.png (1.79 MiB) Viewed 11602 times
All clearances set to 0.012. Mostly they were too tight. Also a 764 hex wrench works great for turning the eccentric.
All clearances set to 0.012. Mostly they were too tight. Also a 764 hex wrench works great for turning the eccentric.
Adjusting.png (1.6 MiB) Viewed 11602 times
Good thing I did this service today. My banjo bolt had popped all the way out! Re-secured with blue Locktite.
Good thing I did this service today. My banjo bolt had popped all the way out! Re-secured with blue Locktite.
Banjo Bolt!.png (1.63 MiB) Viewed 11602 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

That banjo bolt laying in the oil return looks real familiar. I see the bolt had it's crush washers on it, and the other crush washer was still between the oil tube and the oil tube stanchion where it belongs. Mine were both down in the oil return area. An inspection of the cam/rockers/banjo bolts should be very high on the "must see" list when considering purchase of an M30-equipped BMW. Glad you caught that problem. Was there any wear on the #1 cam lobes?
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

hornhospital wrote:That banjo bolt laying in the oil return looks real familiar. I see the bolt had it's crush washers on it, and the other crush washer was still between the oil tube and the oil tube stanchion where it belongs. Mine were both down in the oil return area. An inspection of the cam/rockers/banjo bolts should be very high on the "must see" list when considering purchase of an M30-equipped BMW. Glad you caught that problem. Was there any wear on the #1 cam lobes?
It was the first valve I adjusted and I was wondering how long it had been oil starved. The good news is that i didn't seem the worse for wear. It was a teeny tight (out of tolerance of 0.012) but all in all no visible marks of excessive wear when compared to the others.

Today I drove the car into work (2 hour commute - not normal, but in California when it rains, people go nuts) and the car did just fine. At the end of the drive I listened to the motor for weird valve noise and it actually sounds a bit better than I recall. It's probably because #1 is actually getting oil now!

Also it's amazing how nice it feels to have brakes that respond correctly (I did the brake bomb replacement on Saturday). Oh, and I discovered my rear defroster isn't working. Oh well, low on the list of things required to use the car as a daily driver. So for now, all is well. I hope it lasts for a while.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Song,
You are making fantastic progress in sorting out your 6! Even better when this is your first so every job is a learning curve. Glad you're with us. I'm ashamed at how slow my resto is going.

The is a contributor, Gale something on either BC or bimmerforums who sells pre-drilled banjo bolts to safety wire them to the oil feed tube and blue loctite so that you are not relying totally on torque to prevent them from getting loose. But you can find really nice, thin wire on ebay speedway_motors or see their website that is thinner than the stuff at HF. Also a cheap pair of safetywire twister pliers or go for the best at USATCO.
I guess if you have a small drill press and good drill bits or a vertical mill, you could do the same thing.

There are some posts of polished valve covers and those who have black powder coated them while keeping the raised logo and horizontal lines in clear. All a matter where you want to spend your time and $$

Frost? Cali? Say it ain't so....

--Ken
Sansouci
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Miscellaneous Updates

Post by songzunhuang »

So the following items aren't as major, but they all help to make the car a bit better and I thought I would capture them. So read the captions for the pictures for all the details.

1. Steering play
2. Plugs
3. Pods
4. Lighted window switches

Also. I tried to clean up the solder joints for the instrument cluster last weekend and botched it. After pondering this for a while, I think I just got impatient. I'm studying up on soldering and I think I'll give it another shot. I'm going to need a magnifying glass though. Some of the traces are really small and when things get messy, it's hard to see the condition of things.

I also noticed parts of my front suspension joints were not in such great shape with grease oozing out of the joints. Add to the next project.

Finally, I think I want a Keyless Entry system. They seem inexpensive and it would be oh so convenient! I do everything through the trunk lock now!
Attachments
One of the simplest but nicest upgrades. I got lighted window switches. Now I don't have to hunt so much in the dark to get the right windows to operate.
One of the simplest but nicest upgrades. I got lighted window switches. Now I don't have to hunt so much in the dark to get the right windows to operate.
Lighted.png (1.57 MiB) Viewed 10828 times
These were my speaker pods after both of them were repaired and the new speakers were put into place. Nice to have it done.
These were my speaker pods after both of them were repaired and the new speakers were put into place. Nice to have it done.
Pods.png (1.48 MiB) Viewed 10828 times
I put in new NGK resistor type plugs last weekend. The ones they replaced were Bosch platinums. I read somewhere that they were uneccessary. The NGK's were about 40% less and they are working perfectly.
I put in new NGK resistor type plugs last weekend. The ones they replaced were Bosch platinums. I read somewhere that they were uneccessary. The NGK's were about 40% less and they are working perfectly.
Plugs.png (1.46 MiB) Viewed 10828 times
Finally, I turned the adjustment screw (slotted in the center) about 1/8 turn and this took out a lot of the slop in my steering. Although nowhere near as crisp as my S2000, it doesn't feel like a land yacht anymore.
Finally, I turned the adjustment screw (slotted in the center) about 1/8 turn and this took out a lot of the slop in my steering. Although nowhere near as crisp as my S2000, it doesn't feel like a land yacht anymore.
SteeringPlay.png (1.19 MiB) Viewed 10828 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Re your cam cover .
You'll have to wet sand the cast surface to get it smooth prior to polishing with a sisal mop.
I started with 220 then 600 - 800 - 1200 and then white soap on the mop.
Finish it off with Solvol Autosol metal polish.
It was a time consuming messy job .
Don
1981 635 series 1
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

olympia57 wrote:Re your cam cover .
You'll have to wet sand the cast surface to get it smooth prior to polishing with a sisal mop.
I started with 220 then 600 - 800 - 1200 and then white soap on the mop.
Finish it off with Solvol Autosol metal polish.
It was a time consuming messy job .
Don
One day when I have lots of time, I'll attack it again. I used a wire brush attachment on a drill that I thought was pretty aggressive (estimated 50 grit!) and it still didn't get the texture all off. Thanks for the tips.

I know I'll will get to it eventually though.
The intake manifold is bugging me now..... Tried an aluminum cleaner, but I have a feeling it'll also need something more severe. One day...
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Pod, the Pod!

Post by songzunhuang »

When started on my 6, the pods were completely messed up, I didn't know how they were supposed to operate and it was with much trial and error that I finally figured it all out. I thought I would put up a few pictures so that others who may be in the same predicament as me could understand how they are supposed to work/look. Oh, I don't have the fancy pods that fit large speakers and I don't have the fancy headrest.
Attachments
These are the new stainless 5mm screws that I installed after breaking off and drilling out the original screws that were completely rusted in place.
These are the new stainless 5mm screws that I installed after breaking off and drilling out the original screws that were completely rusted in place.
Pod3.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 10800 times
This is what the open Pod looks like. I moved my hands to the side for the picture. You can see the compartment underneath the pod and also the single 4x6 speaker. There's a cutout for the magnet. That's a new Blaupunkt speaker I just installed, also with
This is what the open Pod looks like. I moved my hands to the side for the picture. You can see the compartment underneath the pod and also the single 4x6 speaker. There's a cutout for the magnet. That's a new Blaupunkt speaker I just installed, also with
Pod2.png (1.18 MiB) Viewed 10800 times
This is the pod after I glued the peeling foam, shell from the rear portion. The front portion has an indent for you to insert your fingers to lift up the pod, which is hinged at the rear.
This is the pod after I glued the peeling foam, shell from the rear portion. The front portion has an indent for you to insert your fingers to lift up the pod, which is hinged at the rear.
Pod1.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 10800 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
captain awesome

Post by captain awesome »

Hmmm. Mine is missing the pod cover but also looks like the parcel shelf is a one off? Warning: TERRIBLE NIGHT PICS

I've also cleaned up all that dust and grime since this was taken.

84 633csi 5 spd

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Solder Job - Fixing the Instrument Cluster

Post by songzunhuang »

So last week I checked with a few Speedo shops about rebuilding my instrument Cluster. Their $400-500 estimate gave me the incentive to try again. So I purchased a few more solder supplies and went for it!

My last solder job was a disaster. I thought that re-flowing solder meant heating it up so it would flow again. Nope. Turns out that the rosin electronic solder acts as a flux and when it melts and you see smoke, the flux is gone. That means nothing stick to anything now because of oxidation on the metal surfaces. So after tons of reading and watching of Youtube, I started again.

This time the goal was to remove all traces of old solder and re-solder all the connections. These joints are small so a purchase of a soldering station with a large magnifying glass was in order. Also, de-soldering such time connections meant using a de-soldering braid. Another tip is that the soldering iron must be kept really clean. I know all of this now. Here's my adventure in pictures below.
Attachments
Now this is how it's supposed to look. No cold joints and all connections are shiny and well formed.
Now this is how it's supposed to look. No cold joints and all connections are shiny and well formed.
Solder1.png (1.19 MiB) Viewed 11066 times
This is the disaster I started with. All cold and malformed connections. No wonder nothing worked.
This is the disaster I started with. All cold and malformed connections. No wonder nothing worked.
Solder2.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 11066 times
Even with the magnifying glass, the connections are small! My eyes are pretty good, but not that good!
Even with the magnifying glass, the connections are small! My eyes are pretty good, but not that good!
Solder3.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 11066 times
The soldering station. Now we are getting serious. All kinds of connections cleaner, magnifying glass, toothbrush, solder pick, tiny tipped soldering iron, and 60/40 rosin core solder.
The soldering station. Now we are getting serious. All kinds of connections cleaner, magnifying glass, toothbrush, solder pick, tiny tipped soldering iron, and 60/40 rosin core solder.
Solder4.png (1.25 MiB) Viewed 11066 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ah, life is good again. Instruments at 95%

Post by songzunhuang »

To make a long story short, my re-soldering job did the trick! Almost everything works again. This is the first time I've seen my instruments operate the way they should. Well, except for one thing....

My Service Indicator lights still would not go off. I tried the reset and still a yellow and 2 red lights were on. Well, I've had enough of staring at that crap. I went for a Hillbilly fix. Black electrical tape. I just put it over the LEDs. Fixed. LOL!

It'll be nice to drive the car without all the irritation of bad instruments. It remains to be seem if this takes care of the jumpy fuel gauge. I noticed that tapping on the headlight switch can still make a few things twitch. We'll see this week as I commute.

Oh, the last thing I did was the most satisfying fix. I took out the cable for the power headrest and beat it with a hammer. Such a crazy process but it worked! I have power headrests again. All good.
Attachments
Everything is working! Speedo, Odo, temp. fuel, tach and even the Economy gauge! It's a momentous occasion.
Everything is working! Speedo, Odo, temp. fuel, tach and even the Economy gauge! It's a momentous occasion.
AllGood1.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 11065 times
The Hillbilly SI light fix looks so natural! Black electrical tape was put over the LEDs. LOL!
The Hillbilly SI light fix looks so natural! Black electrical tape was put over the LEDs. LOL!
HickFix.png (1.17 MiB) Viewed 11065 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
captain awesome

Post by captain awesome »

Glad you are getting things sorted. Let me know when I can send my gauges your way....
84 633csi 5 spd

sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Song,
You've got some soldering skills. Are you an EE?
Sansouci
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

sansouci wrote:Song,
You've got some soldering skills. Are you an EE?
Technically I went to school as an EE but later decided I liked software and art. Yea, as in studio art. My job now is in software engineering though. I run a few teams at http://www.equilar.com/leadership.html . You can see my profile overview on the Leadership page.

As for soldering skills, I practiced a few hours on the old SI board. Completely messed it up, but hey, it was broken anyway. Also, it was a great excuse to get a smaller soldering iron, a soldering station, etc. etc.
Last edited by songzunhuang on Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coverking Dash Cover

Post by songzunhuang »

So I've been looking for a replacement dash since mine is so cracked up. I can't find anything and whatever I find is wicked expensive. So for the time being, I got a dash cover.

Overall, it's a pretty good fit but I got the one without the coin area by accident. Oh well, it still looks pretty good. According to the instructions, it's supposed to settle and fit perfectly over time.

The one I got is black polyester rug looking material. There's a bunch of velcro tabs to keep it all in place. Here's a few pictures of what it looks like on my car.
Attachments
Here's the fit on the left side of the driver. (USA version).
Here's the fit on the left side of the driver. (USA version).
Dashpad1.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 10988 times
Here's a view of the major portions of the dash. You can see my indented coin area is all covered up.
Here's a view of the major portions of the dash. You can see my indented coin area is all covered up.
Dashpad2.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 10988 times
Here's all the adhesive velcro bits. I put them on before I installed it. Be sure and use de-greaser on the dash or nothing will stick.
Here's all the adhesive velcro bits. I put them on before I installed it. Be sure and use de-greaser on the dash or nothing will stick.
Dashpad3.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 10988 times
Here's the pad laid out on the trunk of my car so that the heat of the sun can help get things settled. Instructions say to lay it flat for 1 day.
Here's the pad laid out on the trunk of my car so that the heat of the sun can help get things settled. Instructions say to lay it flat for 1 day.
Dashpad4.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 10988 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re-keying my locks

Post by songzunhuang »

So thanks to Ralph in SoCal, I had a bunch of locks to examine as I prepared to figure out how to fix my door locks. For some reason, both my front door locks decided to stop working with my key. The key works in the ignition, glove compartment and trunk. But not in the main doors.

After about 2 hours of fiddling, I've got a lock barrel that works with my key. I just need to find time to actually take out the one in my door and replace it with the one I just set up. Hopefully I can get to this in a few days.
Attachments
The key is in the lower right. I took apart 3 keys in to find all the right wafers and parts to get one good one together. I'm looking forward to having doors that open.
The key is in the lower right. I took apart 3 keys in to find all the right wafers and parts to get one good one together. I'm looking forward to having doors that open.
Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 12.46.53 AM.png (933.75 KiB) Viewed 10909 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

You should have a really fun time pulling apart the door locks Song. Look up my LOCUTUS build thread for some nice pictures and a lot of swearing :)
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Song,
In your Solder2.png, do you think this was a manufacturing defect or could this develop over time?
Sansouci