Colour finish of rear bumper garnish Euro style

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

635csiSyd

Colour finish of rear bumper garnish Euro style

Post by 635csiSyd »

Hi All,
just refitting my car after a full respray original Artic Blau and whilst I'm not doing a trailer queen I'm refurbing or replacing as and when necessary and or available the poor old car was left sitting in the sun unloved for a number of years with resulting burning of paint, body molds, trim, bumper rubbers etc etc I have managed to source and replace front bumper rubbers , refurbed all the side body molds including the gutter rails just chasing a rear bumper rubber but can't seem to source the ribbed garnish that fits above the rear bumper http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=51_0796 can anyone tell me what the orginal finish was, or is if they have an unburnt one, was it smooth and black similar to the side body molds or is it more a flat finish similar to the Mspec soft rear spoiler I have worked out a way to replicate both finishes with lots of rubbing and priming and rubbing but can't remember what they were like when new

Thanks if anyone can help
7/86 E24 635 manual RHD
Royal Blue/Pearl Beige
dwcains

Re: Colour finish of rear bumper garnish Euro style

Post by dwcains »

Mine is unpainted black plastic, with a semi-matte finish.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

635csiSyd

Post by 635csiSyd »

Thanks semi matte = Satin ? looks like more rubbing coming right up :(
7/86 E24 635 manual RHD
Royal Blue/Pearl Beige
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

yes, I would say "satin" is a better description. It's not flat, and it's not shiny enough to show a reflection, so halfway in between. I didn't buy the parts new, but the previous owner did just before I purchased the car 18 months ago, so I'm sure it's in original condition.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z