Maybe I'm crazy, but

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

brtele

Maybe I'm crazy, but

Post by brtele »

Do these cars have a much better fresh air intake/vent system than most cars. I've daily driven other cars without air conditioning where you need to use a cowl venting system for interior airflow, but I don't remember the smells of the exterior being so vivid.

I mean I can smell everything; exhaust, antifreeze being burned, road-kill, bbq, smoke, Trucker farts, I mean everything. And I always think every smell is my engine on the verge of blowing up.

On my morning commute there's a bbq place that smokes in the morning and for the 1st week I kept thinking my engine was hot and burning something off, but damn it smells good.

No real critical reason for this post, just to say my smeller really works in this car.
'83 633, 5 speed manual, daily driver
'66 Ford Mustang, 302, Auto
'89 Ford Bronco, 5.0EFI, Auto
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Maybe I'm crazy, but

Post by sansouci »

If you ride a motor cycle, you will appreciate the sensory stimulation of being out in the fresh air. Most cars are hermitically (sic) sealed with better cabin climate control. But you can always close off the outside air intake (middle slider to the left I think). Think about adding a pine-tree shaped air freshener just like they use in NYC taxis!
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

Most European cars after the e24 had cabin air filters. So a good filter will work to condition the air and a non serviced filter will greatly diminish in efficiency and will restrict the air entering the cabin: good and bad air.
Alpina B9 coupe (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B9 sedan (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B6 clone in process (Alpinweiss)
Mini S (had to go: it was Electric Blue)
Rover Disco 1 (Alpine White)
brtele

Post by brtele »

sansouci wrote:If you ride a motor cycle, you will appreciate the sensory stimulation of being out in the fresh air. Most cars are hermitically (sic) sealed with better cabin climate control. But you can always close off the outside air intake (middle slider to the left I think). Think about adding a pine-tree shaped air freshener just like they use in NYC taxis!
In my mid-20's I had a big/loud motorcycle and you're right, it's very similar. That was a decade ago, but feels like a lifetime ago now that I'm 35 with a family. I remember the motorcycle smells being the "clearest" at night.

To be clear, I like the ambient smells I get and don't want to filter them out. This past summer I could even smell rain on the hot pavement. My Wife would say I'm a dork for getting excited or happy about stupid stuff like this, but I guess it's the small things.
'83 633, 5 speed manual, daily driver
'66 Ford Mustang, 302, Auto
'89 Ford Bronco, 5.0EFI, Auto
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Tell the Wifey that she married you because you have a functioning smeller! Among other things? \:D/
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

I have infrequently thought about making up some wire-framed foam filters for the cabin vent system.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)