Speakers 4x6 fronts

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

guido

Re: Speakers 4x6 fronts

Post by guido »

Sorry to hijack this thread but thought I'd give my experience on the HU and speakers I've recently fitted to my 6er as it kind of ties in with this thread.

I replaced the flashy 90's HU that came in the car for a Becker Indianapolis Pro, adding a BT connection for music playback and went on to replace the original Kenwood speakers (KFC-S130 80W rears, KFC-4671 45W fronts) as one in the d/s foot well was no longer working and the overall quality was poor. I replaced them with these, fit is perfect with no cutting/brackets necessary, sound is great and more than adequate.
Fronts: https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/produc ... -32214.htm
Rears: https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/produc ... -33034.htm

This setup may not be comparable to some installations mentioned above but overall I'm very happy with the sound and integration, although it is somewhat lacking in bass...
A PO had cut holes in the rear seat kick panel, personally I wouldn't have done this but seeing as they are there I'm planning to use these 2 13cm speaker holes to house these:
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -32050.htm
Then add a 2 channel amp to power them, fed from the sub out on the Becker.
Hopefully this is of interest to someone.

*edited, links to speakers now working.
Last edited by guido on Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

The speaker links in your post don't work; which speakers dd you use please?
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
guido

Post by guido »

They are Focal ELITE Utopia Be 13WS , coupled with a Mac Audio MPX2500 amplifier.
I tried to go for a Pioneer amp to keep the same theme as used on the fronts and rears but was unavailable and also the rating was lower than the subs. The Focal's are rated at 75wrms, the Mac Audio amp at 2x 80wrms 4 ohm.
The amp should always have a slightly higher rating than the speakers.
I haven't had any experience of Mac Audio though. Can anyone recommend?
guido

Post by guido »

Sorry ignore that last post, just spoke with the supplier and they recommended going for the In Phase IPX-902, 900w amplifier, so have ordered that to go with the Focals.
Time will tell how this setup sounds..
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -31406.htm
Mark Shutt

Post by Mark Shutt »

That In Phase amp will not do the Focals justice, they are in a different league to the amp.. I do like my Focal stuff, wouldn't mind a set of 4 of their older Utopia 5ws mini subs..
1988 635csi Auto Highline, Royal blue with Lotus white.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=26461&p=189478#p189478
guido

Post by guido »

Which amp would you advise going for Mark?
Mark Shutt

Post by Mark Shutt »

Anything old school quality! New amps of quality are far and few between!
guido

Post by guido »

Quick search comes back with:
http://www.oldschoolstereo.com/2012/06/ ... fiers.html
:D

Can't say I'm looking to add a second battery just to run the amp.
For ease (or laziness) I'll stick with the In Phase and see how I get on with it as it came recommended. I'm not after the best system possible, just adding a little more bass to finish it off and at the same time making use of those empty holes.
Cheers
Mark Shutt

Post by Mark Shutt »

no need to add a 2nd battery as long as your charging system is up to scratch..
guido

Post by guido »

I guess you're right Mark but reading up on that blog, older amps don't seem to be the most efficient in comparison to modern day amps. Some do suggest that they sound better but ideally I'm looking for a relatively compact amp to fit under the seats, less draw on the electrical side is a plus on an older car I guess. It would be nice to have the optimum amp for the Focals but I'm sure that the In-Phase will do a pretty good job of running them and will be adequate for me. It's not that often I choose to have music playing over listening to the engine singing but on longer journeys it's nice to have.
Mark Shutt

Post by Mark Shutt »

I'm interested to know your outcome when you get it all installed, are you going to fit them on MDF baffles?

as far as efficiency is concerned I think they were referring to class AB or class D amplifiers, lots of compact micro amplifiers are class D as they make good power for size and are very efficient but lack the sound quality of a class A or AB amp. I'm sure you will be just fine on sub duties..
guido

Post by guido »

Thanks Mark.

If I fit them directly into the holes that are already in the kick panel then yes, I'll use MDF baffles. However I'm also toying with the idea of making up 2 custom fit boxes (Focal recommend a 3-7 litre box) that would sit behind the speakers in the under-seat well and then screw/seal the box up tight to the speaker in kick panel - I think this would cause increased vibration though.
Another option would be to line the under-seat well with acoustic foam (similar theory used when I used to make large PA cabinets a while ago) but again I'm not sure this or the box idea above will bring much benefit...
I'm assuming that I'll be happy enough with the first installation route without a box and not try the second or third options.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

guido wrote: ....A PO had cut holes in the rear seat kick panel, personally I wouldn't have done this but seeing as they are there I'm planning to use these 2 13cm speaker holes .....
My car had the same holes but with some (~6") pioneer speakers in there. I too thought this was the work of a PO to start with (the finish on the hole edges visible at the back did not shout 'professional job' to me... :roll: ), but later discovered that this was actually a BMW-UK dealer fit option. For some years in the 1980s most of the UK-supplied E24s appear to have been fitted with dealer-fit audio stuff, usually Pioneer; the BMW OEM options at the time were not that great and also ruinously expensive. [Once the highline model came out, that had a 'premium sound' option, that was a bit more like it, but still pricey.]

My 6" speakers were shot to bits anyway, and (before I worked out that it might have been 'an original feature of the car') I replaced them with 6x8" ones in enlarged holes. Sounds great BTW.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
guido

Post by guido »

That's interesting Brucey and you might well be on to something there. I did wonder whether the ones in my car might well have been a BMW-UK dealer fitted option. The only thing that made me think otherwise is that the front and rears were Kenwood items as previously mentioned, and the grills that were still covering the kick panel holes (unfortunately without the speakers behind) are "Pioneer 100w two-way TS-139" grills. As you say though, if dealers were fitting Pioneer speakers as an option back in the 80's then they might well be "BMW-UK dealer original" - good to know thanks and a plus at trying to keep my car in as original condition as possible (without looking to see what is hiding behind the grills of course! :D )
guido

Post by guido »

Focal subs fitted and sounding great, definately can recommend this if anyone is looking for a standard look fitment without loosing any boot space.
masonjones

Post by masonjones »

guido wrote:Focal subs fitted and sounding great, definately can recommend this if anyone is looking for a standard look fitment without loosing any boot space.
What did you end up doing for boxes/baffles/sound deadening behind the subs?

I have a pair of 6x9's in the kick panels with nothing behind them now and it sounds a little odd and boomy. It's admittedly a budget setup but I'm thinking just putting something behind them could improve the sound. It's probably not well sealed around the rear seats either.
1985 635CSi
guido

Post by guido »

I ended up making MDF baffle plates, attached the speakers to them and then the baffles with the speakers from inside to the kick panel.
I then used sound deadening to line the inside of the kick panel. I'm really impressed with the setup now, only addition I would possibly make (but don't really see the need as the sound is more than sufficient for me) would be to have the front and rear speakers running through an amplifier, as the headunit doesn't quite power them fully.
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

I like the look of Kos' door panels but I didn't want to sacrifice the leather on my door panels. Years ago, I seen one mid 80's e24 n the bay area (Foster City) with something similar (that was before the cell phones had cameras'). I upgraded all of my speakers, Boston Acoustics 4x6s in the kick panels, tweeters, 6x9s (2 way) on the rear shelf and I had a bazooka tube laid behind the drivers seat which worked ok but it was visible so then changed it to 6 1/2" mid bass speakers under the rear seat (driver's side), it sounded better but it wasn't quite I was looking for so I added a 6.75" sub behind the arm rest (boxed, no port holes), just right and not boomy.
Front Speakers.JPG
Front Speakers.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 13457 times
Rear Speakers.JPG
Rear Speakers.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 13457 times
Mid Bass 5.JPG
Mid Bass 5.JPG (1.22 MiB) Viewed 13457 times
Last edited by Tommys 89 635 on Tue May 19, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
francoid

Post by francoid »

guido wrote:I replaced them with these, fit is perfect with no cutting/brackets necessary, sound is great and more than adequate.
Fronts: https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/produc ... -32214.htm
Rears: https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/produc ... -33034.htm
Hi Guido, were you able to reuse the OEM grids with these front speakers? The tweeters appear to protrude a bit...
Thank you
guido

Post by guido »

Yes, the standard grills fit without issue
francoid

Re:

Post by francoid »

baders wrote:Well,I've finished this little project this weekend. Have installed the Infinity Kappa 4x6" plate speakers and installed my Alpine 12" sub in the rear bulkhead. This has seen a massive improvement in sound quality. Of course, now the weak link is the 30w RMS Pioneer rear 6x9" speakers. I think I'll lash out for some Infinity 6x9." :mrgreen:

First the Kappa 4x6".

Ugghhh, start at the bottom photo for sequence.
Baders, I don't want to cut my grills, so if I go with the Kappas as I plan, I'll need to recess them more. Was that an option for you? Or is my only option to have the grills pop out more using spacers?
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

If I understand what you mean by "recess", then no, you won't be able to mount them any deeper. Grills are still available and cheap. I just ordered two more in case I ever want to change back. (Not ever likely, I love this car :D )
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Js79

Post by Js79 »

Where's the picture of the box behind the armrest?
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Js79 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:38 pm Where's the picture of the box behind the armrest?
Sorry, what picture are you referring to ??
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Js79

Post by Js79 »

The subwoofer box pls.