Side skirt fixings

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Side skirt fixings

Post by wattsmonkey »

Here's a thing: M came without the skirts fitted due to the fitting (or not-really-fitting) of wheel arch repairs of the wrong radius, not sure if they were W&N or what.

Anyway, The grommets in the sills are nla in the original size, with green ones being the only available option. This is all good, but the holes need to be drilled out to 9mm.

Another thing I learned is the way in which the side skirts actually fit to the bottom of the sills, using the clamps as shown. A previous 6 I owned had the skirts attached with self-tappers through the bottom of the sill! These are very, very pleasing and secure the skirts making use of the return on the outer sill as well as being slim enough to clear the fuel pipes.

Last point - 3M spoiler fixing tape isn't all that, I should have stumped up the money for the BMW-supplied stuff with the benefit of hindsight.

This is doubtless old news / irrelevant to anyone who has the skirts fitted already, but might be helpful to anyone considering fitting skirts to their car.

Cheers,

Rob
side skirt fixings.jpg
side skirt fixings.jpg (193.88 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
BenM635i

Re: Side skirt fixings

Post by BenM635i »

This is excellent information!! I just bought a load of green clips for the reason you describe and knowing the hole size to drill is great.

Thank you :)

Hopefully i can get both skirts back on and will look into proper tape rather than generic.
'85 M635 #160
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Side skirt fixings

Post by ron »

BenM635i wrote:This is excellent information!! I just bought a load of green clips for the reason you describe and knowing the hole size to drill is great.

Thank you :)
Hopefully i can get both skirts back on and will look into proper tape rather than generic.
Do you still want the front spoiler?
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti