The old style DOM brand key lockable wheel bolts

Post in this forum for topics relating to tires and wheels

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

DRPM635CSi

The old style DOM brand key lockable wheel bolts

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Anyone remember the old 1980's/90's style key lockable anti-theft wheel bolt cap sets that BMW no longer sells? The key (traditional key that went on your keyring - not a M/F piece of metal that converts a weird shape nut into standard 17mm hex head) had DOM on one side of the square head and the BMW roundel on the other side.

I've tried to find some information on these, but failed. Ideally I'm wondering what the part number used to be. Anyone know?

Reason for asking is that I have just swapped my original 15x7 style 5 wheels off my E32 740iL in favour of some open hub 16x7.1/2" style 61 E38 wheels instead and as part of that change I am ditching the locking wheel bolts being as now they will not be protected behind hub centre caps. So, I have a full set of four of these original BMW issue key lockable anti-theft bolts with the locking caps, press on dust covers and the full set of four keys to suit. I was just wondering what they might be worth to a concours d'elegance OCD owner looking to restore a car back to factory original spec. Only problem is I can't find any information at all about these original fitment anti-theft wheel bolt kits. They're obviously NLA for a long time, because all such anti-theft wheel bolts now are all the ones with the annoying extra key adapter you have to find a place to store somewhere in the car where no provision has been made for it.

With this old DOM style kit, all you needed to store was the key itself, which went happily on the keyring for the ignition, which IMHO was a much more elegant and aesthetically pleasing solution.
dlvad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: The old style DOM brand key lockable wheel bolts

Post by dlvad »

Like these?
Early Porsche used DOM - PelicanParts & The Samba sites might be a good pricing reference...
Attachments
BMW e9 Keyed Lug Bolts.jpg
BMW e9 Keyed Lug Bolts.jpg (75.36 KiB) Viewed 6542 times
DV
Motorsport & Vintage Coupes
ALPINA Oldtimers of Course...
BMW-Classic CCA
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Very similar to those yes. That's what I'm talking about, though the BMW versions were much shorter in the cap body (about half the height I would guesstimate from that photo) but yes, undoubtedly from the same DOM manufacturer because the keys are exactly the same.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Did you ever manage to put a value on those? I have a brand new set in the original packaging and was kinda wondering............
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Pod wrote:Did you ever manage to put a value on those? I have a brand new set in the original packaging and was kinda wondering............
Wow! Brand new set in packaging! I'd like to see a photo of that if you could. I really would. I've never seen the packaging these things came in. BMW's were well and truly out of my price bracket when cars of this vintage were brand new so I've never had the opportunity to see how little accessories like this were supplied brand new. I have a small package in a plastic wrapper in my toolkit which contains a little leaflet instruction slip written entirely in German language I can't read, but which has the DOM logo on it. It also contains a couple of metal finger pull tools I'm not entirely sure what they're for. I'm just assuming they're something to do with the wheel locks, but I really don't know for sure and I'm wondering if your brand new set includes them and can perhaps shed some light for me on what they are.

As for price, no I have no idea what they're worth. The only buyer these days would be a concours d'elegance entrant for sure who is looking for proper, period-correct accessories. They would be effectively worthless I'd think for doing what they're designed to do (ie. stop the wheels being stolen), but as the most elegant solution to the locking wheel bolt requirement, I think they're a great accessory to have. I'm certainly not looking to sell my spare set.

If you have closed-hub ALPINA wheels, the centre cap actually has protruding notches on the inside which straddle the dust cap of the DOM wheel locks to locate the centre cap in a rotational sense so it sits at exactly the same orientation on all four wheels (if you put the locking bolt in the same hole relative to valve). If for nothing else, they're good to have for this purpose with ALPINA wheels at least. For those who don't know, the ALPINA wheel centre caps are not like those of BBS wheels that lock into a specific position. ALPINA centre caps are friction held in place only via O-rings. They can be oriented in any rotational position without the use of something like the DOM locking heads to provide that mechanical locating interference.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

I'll look for them and take some pics - may take a few days though.
Soperman

Post by Soperman »

Whilst I do have a complete set of these original DOM / BMW locking wheel locks & keys, I do not have the packaging. But they are certainly shorter than the Porsche ones above, with a "height" of approximately 17mm.

On close examination, the same 5 digit number appears on each of the four keys, but I assume this to be the key number. Each of the otherwise identical cover caps is individually numbered underneath "1" to "4" (which strikes me as overkill). There is no identifying number on the locking mechanism itself, so I guess you will need POD's photo to possibly find the actual part number itself.
E24 M635CSi