Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1984 633CSi Rises again!

Post by sansouci »

Song
Can you write up a list of the proper disassembly and reassembly sequence?
Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

sansouci wrote:Song
Can you write up a list of the proper disassembly and reassembly sequence?
Ken
I think I can greatly simplify this by showing a picture. Bottom line is, do not worry about the things circled in red.
Remove the bottom pivoting bolts, hose connections and then remove the bolts in yellow. The compressor will drop out.
Don't bother with the things circled in red.
Don't bother with the things circled in red.
IMG_1597.JPG (198.55 KiB) Viewed 11341 times
I had tried in vain to remove the items circled in red and it just caused problems. In fact, I had the reassemble those pieces before the compressor would drop out. It was a major pain as it's tight in there.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Window gap on passenger side - fixed.

Post by songzunhuang »

So I was driving from the airport the other day and noticed that my passenger side window had a lot more wind noice then usual. There was a gap and the window wasn't closing. I could manually move the window glass up and down about 1/2" to 1" inch! This was most annoying. So this weekend I got a change to take a quick look.

In the picture below, you can see that there's a gap between the window glass and the rubber guide. The glass is supposed to go up until the top of the rubber guide is about flush with the glass.
Note the gap in the red circle?
Note the gap in the red circle?
IMG_1896.JPG (102.65 KiB) Viewed 11340 times
After removing the door panel, imagine my surprise to see that every bolt that secured the window regulator had fallen out! All three bolts were just sitting there, still in the approximate vicinity due to the plastic moisture barrier. Thank goodness for the plastic. In the picture below, you can see two of the bolts that had fallen out and was resting against the plastic.
I am glad the plastic caught these fallen bolts.
I am glad the plastic caught these fallen bolts.
IMG_1895.JPG (147.02 KiB) Viewed 11340 times
It was a simple matter to re-fasten these 3 x bolts with 10mm heads in order to get everything working again. The third bolt is to the right of the picture. I didn't take a picture of that 3rd bolt. This was an easy fix. I need more easy fixes.

The next post about the new A/C compressor will illustrate my point. This A/C is not an easy fix...
Last edited by songzunhuang on Mon May 08, 2017 7:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sanden Compressor & Bracket

Post by songzunhuang »

So I tried to get my replacement compressor test fitted to the custom brackets today. I got some bolts at a place called "Global Metric" in San Mateo and thought I had what was needed to get this "dry fitted". Alas, it was not to be. This was a bit more difficult than I anticipated.

It all started with modifying the aluminum bracket to fit the new compressor and bolt. I got a 10mm x 125mm bolt. I wanted a 10 grade, but then only had 8.8. I figured for a pivot and since the bolt was so hefty, this shouldn't be an issue. I also got assorted washers and a locknut with a nylon insert. I hope the temperatures in this area doesn't compromise the nylon lock. Ok, that was a no sequiter.

First I had to drill out the holes in the bracket for the larger 10mm bolt. I did this in three stages of increasing larger drill bits. I wanted it to be a snug fit and smooth hole.
Drilling out the bracket for a 10mm bolt.
Drilling out the bracket for a 10mm bolt.
Drill.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 11334 times
After drilling the hole, I realized that the bolt head wasn't going to clear no matter which side I came from. I recall seeing another thread where they had to cut out a chunk of the aluminum to clear the bolt. Well, now I know why. I did the same thing so that I could push the bolt from back to front.
Notch to clear the bolt head.
Notch to clear the bolt head.
Notch.png (910.82 KiB) Viewed 11334 times
After finally getting the bolt through, I realized that I was going to need a few more spacers. As you can see from the picture (yeah, the arrows got messed up when I resized the picture. Weird) I will need a washer on the left, but a much larger spacer on the right. It looks like I will need to get back to this after I figure out a way to locate a bolt sleeve or something similar.
Need spacers on both sides.
Need spacers on both sides.
Spacers Needed.png (1.27 MiB) Viewed 11334 times
Finally we move down to the bottom of the bracket. You can see how I positioned the custom metal units onto the adjustable u-bracket. I thought that the custom metal units were supposed to be inside the "U" shaped piece. Well, it wasn't going to line up. I had to place one on the outside and one on the inside of the u-shaped adjustable piece.
Washers and bolts to space thing correctly.
Washers and bolts to space thing correctly.
Spaces.png (1022.91 KiB) Viewed 11334 times
I still think I need to place a spacer inside the "u-bracket"; Otherwise as I tighten the adjustment bolt, the U-shaped unit will just deform. That doesn't seem right. Also, the bolt with the adjustments is a bit short. I think I need about 5-10mm more length. I hope I can find that carriage bolt. I measured the new assembly from the bracket mounting hold to the pulley where the belt goes. With the spacing you see here, I think I will be really close (if not spot on) in alignment. I'll know when I finally crawl under the car and put all this together. Alas, I will have to wait for another day as I ran out of time.

I haven't even gotten to the condenser yet, but a plan for that is coming together. It's got a lot of rivets and angled aluminum. More on that later.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Song, small diameter electrical conduit works well for spacer material. Easily cut with a hacksaw.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

hornhospital wrote:Song, small diameter electrical conduit works well for spacer material. Easily cut with a hacksaw.
Great to know! I was considering overkill by going to a machine shop to have it milled. Your idea sounds a lot more budget friendly.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Great work Song!
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Replaced Intake Tube

Post by songzunhuang »

While taking apart my A/C pieces I had to remove the air intake tube. I noticed that it was cracked on the underside and around the MAF unit. Although this isn't something that was creating any issues with how the motor ran, the OCD side of me decided to replace it anyway. Hey, it was easy to do and made me feel better.
Replacement intake at the bottom.
Replacement intake at the bottom.
Intake Tube.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 11256 times
I guess the only regret is that I didn't use OEM BMW part so there's no nice BMW logo molded into the tube. Oh well.

Oh, and the car doesn't run any different. :wink:
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

It is known as Air Flow Meter (or AFM), not a MAF (MASS AIR FLOW).

At some point the cracks can cause issues but always good to eliminate failing parts before they cause problems.
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sanden Compressor Installed

Post by songzunhuang »

Well, we made some progress today. I was able to create a spacer for the lower bracket and install the complete unit on the engine, install the belt and then start the car and check the alignment. I'm happy to say that all ended well. I had to remove the unit again as I still need to figure out a spacer for the top pivot bolt.

I got a 1/2" diameter x 3" pipe nipple for the spacer of the lower bolt. I had to grind about 1/8" to get it to fit perfectly.
1/2" x 3 inch pipe nipple worked very well.
1/2" x 3 inch pipe nipple worked very well.
Pipe Nipple.png (826.53 KiB) Viewed 11220 times
Here is the pipe installed in the lower adjustable bracket.
It fits perfectly around a 8mm bolt.
It fits perfectly around a 8mm bolt.
Half Inch Pipe.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 11220 times
Here is the complete unit installed on the engine. There are so many parts to this assembly that I found it easier to install it completely assembled. Next time, I'll use a jack. It's heavy holding the unit with one hand while trying to get the mounting bolts installed.
All the various bits installed on the engine.
All the various bits installed on the engine.
Comp Installed.png (805.85 KiB) Viewed 11220 times
The pulley on the engine is about a few sixteeths out of alignment, with the compressor, but I think it'll work given that this uses a V-belt. The adjustable bracket made the original AC compressor belt easy to install! That was a nice outcome.
Here's a link to a YouTube video of the entire thing installed and with the motor running. The alignment doesn't seem to cause issues. I'm going to give it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J29nmiaujfE

Here's a bit longer video with a wider viewpoint.
https://photos.google.com/search/_tv_vi ... 9FuMj6OUgh
Last edited by songzunhuang on Mon May 15, 2017 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fitting a parallel flow condenser

Post by songzunhuang »

Today, I spent some time scratching my head about how to mount the new condenser and fashion brackets to fit the car. The first order of business was to make a template from the old condenser so that after I take everything apart, I can still figure out how to link everything up. I did this on a piece of cardboard that the new condenser came in.

After making the template, I drilled out all the rivets to prepare the parts for mounting in the new condenser. I had to cut off about 2" of the left side to clear the mounts and pipes on the new condenser.
drill out 4 rivets to free the top.
drill out 4 rivets to free the top.
Drill out rivets.png (757.61 KiB) Viewed 11218 times
Here all the parts taken from the old unit laid on top of the new unit. The top will be installed with a aluminum angle bracket and rivets. The sides will be fastened with some angled steel and more rivets.
Here's how everything will be arranged to mount the fan.
Here's how everything will be arranged to mount the fan.
Test fit.png (962.95 KiB) Viewed 11218 times
Of course I had to pretty things upon a bit. I steel brushed and then painted the parts with some engine paint.
Gotta make it look good and stop corrosion while  I am at it.
Gotta make it look good and stop corrosion while I am at it.
BlackPaint.png (958.02 KiB) Viewed 11218 times
Finally the bottom bracket will be quite tricky. I used some angled aluminum that I tool off an old bathroom shower door mount. Part of it will need to fit inside the mounting rails of the new condenser. The other parts will need to be notched and then drilled to match the template.
All marked up and ready to fabricate.
All marked up and ready to fabricate.
Bottom Bracket.png (644.57 KiB) Viewed 11218 times
I ran of time to work on this today but I have a really good idea of how this will all fit together now. More next weekend. I can feel it getting close. Now, I'm thinking about the hoses.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Song,
1) When do you find the time to do this? All I've got are "honey-do's"
2) I am following along as the A/C needs to work for me this summer in NYC
3) I guess I'd have gone with a Flex-a-lite or equivalent. I think Da_Hose had a post on converting his fan set up. I think it was called The Best Electric Cooling Fan Set Up (or something like that)
4) What's the P/n for the compressor mount you used?

Keep up the good work.
Last edited by sansouci on Fri May 19, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sansouci
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Here's the compressor mount, but you need some other parts, too, e.g. the adjustment bracket and nut/bolt, and those custom-made Sanden adapters,

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw ... 521284953/

I sent the mount to Song, and I found it on eBay for ~$45 IIRC. I'd look for another used one, considering the new cost, and that you need the other bits with it. The whole assembly is on this page:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=64_0427
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Dean,
I've got the two custom cut adapters from a group buy a while ago in preparation for this project. Thanks for the realoem page and the heads up on the mount.

Dean- this is on fleabay and the p/n doesn't match. But could it work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311703065833?_t ... #vi-ilComp

--Ken
Sansouci
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Maybe you can get a measurement and compare with Song's. I can't look at mine, as I'm in the hospital,again, for an unknown term, again. :cry:
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

sansouci wrote:Dean,
I've got the two custom cut adapters from a group buy a while ago in preparation for this project. Thanks for the realoem page and the heads up on the mount.

--Ken
Hey, I'd be glad to pay it forward as I have a spare unit for the bottom adjustable mount. Dwcain gave me a mount, I'd be glad to give you the adjustable bracket. Here's the brackets side by side. They have the same width so it should work just fine for you.
I used the one on the right. Ken, you can have the one on the left.
I used the one on the right. Ken, you can have the one on the left.
Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 10.28.55 AM.png (631.3 KiB) Viewed 11106 times
I ended up using the unit with a wider adjustment range, but to tell you the truth, I don't think. I needed that. I'm using the belt that was on there and to get the belt on, I have to go to the shortest setting and then when I tighten, it's only about 1/2 way through the adjustment. So although the spare unit I have doesn't have as much adjustment, it'll work fine. Hey, it's free.

So if you want it, just PM me. It's also got the bolt and adjustment nut. I noticed the one on eBay does not.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Perfect Fit for Sanden Compressor

Post by songzunhuang »

So this weekend I was able to perfect the mount for the Sanden compressor. After a bit of fabrication, I still had a few areas where there were gaps to fill. I finally found the proper pieces and cut it all to size.

First, I had a gap to fill between the aluminum compressor mounting bracket and the actual wing of the compressor. I needed something that a 10mm bolt could pass through. After much searching, I came across a Carbon Steel Spanner Bushing 42mm Long -- 12mm OD x 10mm ID. It was $5 on Amazon.
This is close to perfect.
This is close to perfect.
Spacer.png (643.6 KiB) Viewed 11074 times
OK, the length wasn't quite right so I had to cut it to size and grind it to the exact spec. I also discovered that I had to drill out the hole a bit as it was a bit snug for the bolt.
It was just under 30mm in length.
It was just under 30mm in length.
Cut to Size.png (989.68 KiB) Viewed 11074 times
While I was at it, I cut the bolt to eliminate a spacer on the other side and achieve an better overall fit.
The bolt and the spacer now fit.
The bolt and the spacer now fit.
MOre Cuts.png (739.43 KiB) Viewed 11074 times
After I assembled it all, it was aligned, tight and perfect. This assembly is finally ready to go into the car.
All pieces in place and ready to mount.
All pieces in place and ready to mount.
Perfect FIt.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 11074 times
So next weekend, we turn our attention to the condenser. I've got some ideas there too.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mounting an aftermarket parallel flow condenser

Post by songzunhuang »

One of the trickiest part of the A/C upgrade was mounting the aftermarket condenser. This weekend, I spent several hours to come up with a very solid option. If you have a tablesaw, drill and basic fabrication skills, you can make it work! I biased the unit to the driver's side to give plenty of room for clearance for the hoses, which come in at the passenger side.

Mounting the top bracket - I reused the top bracket from the original condenser. It comes off after you drill out 4 rivets (2 on each side) that hold it in place. In order to attach the bracket to the new condenser, I used the straps that came with the condenser kit and bent them so that they would fit on the outside of the mounting point. I then riveted the strap front and rear.
Mounting the straps that will be riveted to the bracket off the original condenser.
Mounting the straps that will be riveted to the bracket off the original condenser.
Rivet.png (921.25 KiB) Viewed 10965 times
After mounting a strap on each side. I drilled holes from through the original bracket into the straps, then I riveted it all on place. Note that I had to cut a chunk of the metal off the original bracket in order to clear the tube and mount for the hose connectors on the new condenser.
Top bracket riveted in place.
Top bracket riveted in place.
Top done.png (665.93 KiB) Viewed 10965 times
The next part was the bottom. I took a piece of angled aluminum and cut it to fit in the slot at the bottom of the condenser. Note I had to cut a clearance for the tubes of the new condenser. The new condenser is not as wide as the original, so I had to make sure that the aluminum would reach far enough down to the original mounting points. After cutting everything to size, I riveted all in place.
Bottom passenger side, showing clearance and holes for final mountain slot.
Bottom passenger side, showing clearance and holes for final mountain slot.
Bottom.png (709.97 KiB) Viewed 10965 times
The final part was mounting the original fan to the condenser. That was done through the straps once again. I had to bend straps to meet up with the original mounting brackets taken off of the original condenser. The driver side fit pretty easily, but the passenger side needed some re-bending. It all had to be drilled and then riveted in place. Overall, the unit came out super solid and should work wonderfully in the car.
Ready to go into the car!
Ready to go into the car!
final.png (894.73 KiB) Viewed 10965 times
A few hints, I used 3/16" rivets for all of the top and bottom portions. I moved to a larger rivet for the sides to mount the fan. This was because the holes on the side of the condenser were larger and I didn't want any slop. The mission was accomplished as it's very solid. Also, to cut the metal, don't waste your time with a hacksaw or something similar. I found that I could score the straps or original bracket metal with a Dremel cutoff wheel and then just bend it back and forth. It would snap off right at the score and then it was easy enough to smooth it out. This was way easier than cutting with a hacksaw.

So it is possible to use a inexpensive aftermarket parallel flow condenser. I paid something like $60 for mine and then with $7 of rivets and a aluminum bracket (left over from an old bathroom remodel!) I was able to adapt it to fit perfectly.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Nice work Song. This is exactly the approach I intend to use.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Man, that's some nice work, but where did the table saw get used?
Ken Kanne
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

hornhospital wrote:Man, that's some nice work, but where did the table saw get used?
The aluminum bracket was "U" shaped and came from an old shower mounting rail. I used the table saw to cut it in many ways. I also bought an L rail that was thicker, but it didn't have enough depth to reach the mounting points. So I improvised.

First, I needed an "L" shape not a "U". So the table saw was used to rip one side down. It wasn't flush as I left a bit for added strength.

Then, I ripped one of the sides so that it fit just inside the bottom strips (with the holes pre-drilled) across the bottom.

Finally, the notches for clearance on the left and right for the side tubes of the condenser was cut with the table saw as well. I used a carbide blade (60 teeth finishing blade) and it went through the aluminum like paper.

Here's a few more closeups since I have can include a few pics with this post.
Cutting the notches for the tube clearance.
Cutting the notches for the tube clearance.
notches.png (787.91 KiB) Viewed 10932 times
Here's how the strap was angled and riveted to create the mounting for the fan.
Closeup o the side mounts for the fan.
Closeup o the side mounts for the fan.
Side.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 10932 times
Here's the upper right where you can see how I had to cut the top bracket to make room for the hose mounting.
Cut top bracket to clear and also detail of riveting.
Cut top bracket to clear and also detail of riveting.
upper left.png (930.19 KiB) Viewed 10932 times
Finally, here's another angle of it all together. If you look real close, you can see that I used 3 rivets to fasten the aluminum bracket. You can also see the slotted holes for the screws to mount the bottom.
Bottom view.
Bottom view.
bottom.png (888 KiB) Viewed 10932 times
So now I move onto custom hoses and figuring out how to connect the new condenser to the rest of the system. Slowly but steady. I just don't have much time on weekends! At this rate, summer may be over before I get down with it all.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

That's some clever work, but I'm glad I wasn't standing downstream of the table saw blade. :P
Ken Kanne
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

songzunhuang wrote:
sansouci wrote:Dean,

--Ken
Hey, I'd be glad to pay it forward as I have a spare unit for the bottom adjustable mount. Dwcain gave me a mount, I'd be glad to give you the adjustable bracket. Here's the brackets side by side. They have the same width so it should work just fine for you.
Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 10.28.55 AM.png

I ended up using the unit with a wider adjustment range, but to tell you the truth, I don't think. I needed that. I'm using the belt that was on there and to get the belt on, I have to go to the shortest setting and then when I tighten, it's only about 1/2 way through the adjustment. So although the spare unit I have doesn't have as much adjustment, it'll work fine. Hey, it's free.

So if you want it, just PM me. It's also got the bolt and adjustment nut. I noticed the one on eBay does not.
song,
I must be having PM problems. So I would love to add to the parts pile as I start my A/C refresh
you can mail it to:
Ken Weinstein
535 East 86th Apt. 11D
New York, NY 10028

Many thanks!
Sansouci
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Song, I have to say you are doing a great job on this. Really nice work on all the adapting metal pieces etc. But the photos and explanation are are really top notch. You've made it so much easier for anyone to follow along with what you're doing. I hope you can get it done in time for the heat. Thx
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

zinnocoupe wrote:Song, I have to say you are doing a great job on this. Really nice work on all the adapting metal pieces etc. But the photos and explanation are are really top notch. You've made it so much easier for anyone to follow along with what you're doing. I hope you can get it done in time for the heat. Thx
Hey thanks. Before continuing, I was looking at my slow oil leak. It had caused all the old parts to get completely nasty, covered in a sheen of oil and accumulated dirt. It also flung oil and dirt on the new sound deadener on my hood. I didn't want to put my nice new parts on and have them become covered in muck. I've cleaned the oil many times trying to figure out where it's coming from. I know it's not the valve cover or the head gasket. In fact, I don't think it's the timing cover. That only leaves the front main seal.

So this morning I took it to the shop. Sure enough, they told me that it's the front main seal and the oil pressure switch. Apparently this is a 3-4 hour job. I'm going to have them stop all the oil leaks before I continue with the A/C. So, I'm hoping they can fix the seals before the weekend. I'll put on the A/C parts on Saturday. That's the plan.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi