Car covers - what brand do you have ?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Tommys 89 635

Car covers - what brand do you have ?

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

My older cover has ripped, cannot be repaired and I was planning to buy a new one that has a soft side for the paint and possibly one that repellers water. I ordered one from empire car covers (co advertised in Roundel), got it on Saturday and it was too big, I called them today and it turns out they are not custom made to fit, they have 5 different sizes, so it’s being returned. Which company did you guys in the US order from? Thanks
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Car covers - what brand do you have ?

Post by GRNSHRK »

Tommy, I'm currently using one from Empire, doesn't fit great for sure, have to agree on that part [-X

But right now it's being used to cover an even smaller car, the cabrio :shock:

Didn't blow off in last night's wind, just to give you an idea, even though it covers just about to the road surface :-k

Since that car is currently doing outdoor duty, I can vouch for the fact that it is waterproof =D>

In fact, I may by another one that fits the 3 series \:D/
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I bought a Rain-X brand cover at Walmart, and think it's a great product. It has extra velcro at the corners to tailor the fit, it works well on my 87 M6. I added small strings around the bottom to connect the eyelets for longer term covering over the winter. It has held up great, and really is water repellant. I am quite happy with it.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

I have a NOAH fabric from BavAuto. Fits snug and the customer service is great. They are a sales agent for Covercraft. I also bought a Stormproof made by Coverking from Autoaccessories garage. Fit was way too snug and it didn't reinforce critical area around the bottom of the bumpers.
--Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

Bob,

I do like the material and fabric from Empire but it was gigantic. The old one is from Covercraft, I may revert back to them.
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
redrumm3

Post by redrumm3 »

Long time Covercraft user. No complaints.
Scott Collins
80 Euro 635csi Stratosblau/Parchment
Boggie

Post by Boggie »

If you can stretch to it, get one of THESE. I use both internal and outdoor versions and I can highly recommend them! Currently I have a classic, sat outside for 2 years in an exterior bubble. I washed, polished and waxed it beforehand and every time I unwrap the car to fire it up and give it a run, it looks as good as when I put in in there in December '15. No dust, no surface rust on the discs, no mildew on the interior etc. Living at the foot of the UK Chiltern hills we get a LOT of rain, wind and in the winter, snow but the car remains as good as the day I covered it. Also, rigging up a simple remote controlled 12V alarm can warn you if any inquisitive baddies unzip to look inside....

OK, so it is not as cheap as a water resistant throw over cover (that let's water in like a cheap tent) OR a waterproof covers, under which the trapped moisture slowly rots the car but let's face it; when you consider the value of even modest classics, these covers are cheap. Easy to use too; drive the car on, open the boot (trunk), throw the top cover over, zip it up and plug it in (also keeps the car battery conditioned and topped up...

Ian
1985 M635CSI
Classic Car and Bike Collector & Restorer.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Boggie wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:16 pm If you can stretch to it, get one of THESE. I use both internal and outdoor versions and I can highly recommend them! Currently I have a classic, sat outside for 2 years in an exterior bubble. I washed, polished and waxed it beforehand and every time I unwrap the car to fire it up and give it a run, it looks as good as when I put in in there in December '15. No dust, no surface rust on the discs, no mildew on the interior etc. Living at the foot of the UK Chiltern hills we get a LOT of rain, wind and in the winter, snow but the car remains as good as the day I covered it. Also, rigging up a simple remote controlled 12V alarm can warn you if any inquisitive baddies unzip to look inside....

OK, so it is not as cheap as a water resistant throw over cover (that let's water in like a cheap tent) OR a waterproof covers, under which the trapped moisture slowly rots the car but let's face it; when you consider the value of even modest classics, these covers are cheap. Easy to use too; drive the car on, open the boot (trunk), throw the top cover over, zip it up and plug it in (also keeps the car battery conditioned and topped up...

Ian
I too have an interior and an exterior model. Really excellent ( it gets very wet here in Wales)!
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Boggie

Post by Boggie »

Now that brings back fond memories of caravan holidays with my folks..... :)
1985 M635CSI
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

That’s pretty cool but if I got one of those my wife would want to car out of the garage.
Tommy
Boggie

Post by Boggie »

Move the wife into the Carcoon....?
1985 M635CSI
Boggie

Post by Boggie »

Don't worry; she can breath and everything. Best of all? You can leave her in there all winter and she will look as good as she did when you zipped her in, last fall... :)
1985 M635CSI